SASS Wire Forum

Prices From The Past

Subdeacon Joe

Remember “gasoline wars“?   1969-1970 (or so).....Dallas Texas..... Super Shell premium gas.  13 cents a gallon.

Cat Brules

Cat, I certainly remember those gas prices.
As a kid, there were endless "gas wars" in Boise.
I had a paper-route nifty-thrifty Honda 50, that I could fill up for half a buck, and ride forever.

Electronics are massively cheaper than the past and more functional. Food, Gas, Cigarettes, Vehicles, Houses, Land, and taxes as a rule not so much. But a smaller percentage of people live in poverty in the world today than ever before in recorded history. And we have access to better technology than ever before. Tech has improved, human morality hasn't much.

Howdy,

Having movies at home. What a great idea.

40 inch tv today is so what.

30 years ago a set half that size was wonderful.

And in COLOR too.

Best

CR

38 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Food, Gas, Cigarettes, Vehicles, Houses, Land, and taxes as a rule not so much.

I look at things like milk, a loaf of bread, a pound of hamburger,  etc. In terms of hours of labor at minimum wage. A lot of the basics,  other than housing and vehicles,  take roughly the same number of hours of labor at minimum wage now as they did when I entered the labor market in 1975.

I bought my first car (well, dad bought me  a 1960 Rambler American to get me through college, so maybe my second car) in 1967, a Chevy Impala Super Sport (I really wanted an Alfa Romeo or Datsun Z28, but having my chin resting on my knees ((I’m 6’5 1/2”)) was discouraging) for $3350, new delivered from the Janesville, Wisconsin plant.   I was making $8000 a year as a fledgling engineering/supervisor for Procter&Gamble.

(sigh)

1990, my first Macintosh for my fledgling graphic design business:

Mac IIC with 16 mhz processor and 8 mb RAM. $3,000

19” gray scale monitor. $3,000. (A color one would have been $6,000.)

80 mb external hard drive. $3,000

B/W laser printer. $3,000. 

Scanner $1,100

Software and fonts $4,000

Total: $17,100

8 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Name brand cigs,  16-ounce soda and a gallon of gas were $.70 each.

You're a mere child.   Coke 10 c (where the hey is the cents sign?); gallon of gas a quarter; cigs and beer 35cents.   When we set up housekeeping, Petey would give me $15.00 per week for groceries & any money left over was mine.  & my Dad said he remembered when you couldn't carry $5.00-worth of groceries by yourself.

I started a job with Hughes Aircraft in December of ‘82. In early ‘83 my department in Hughes bought 2 of the brand new Hewlett-Packard 50 megabyte hard drive computers with color monitors for $50,000 each for a project for the Air Force. 
Only senior engineering staff were allowed to use them. One was used for programming and one was used as an “impressive technical display” and was attached to a 16 pen plotter to create graphics to “Wow” visitors. 

A misguided and very stupid security guard hatched an elaborate plan to steal the one used for programming by stashing it in a dumpster that was to be wheeled out for disposal every Monday morning. (Even the garbage dumpsters had a secure bay in the loading dock.) He convinced the garbage truck driver to wait while “important electronic equipment” was retrieved from the dumpster. The guard took the equipment out and put it in his car. The garbage truck driver turned him in. 
I heard the guard got 20 years in Leavenworth for stealing a $50,000 computer that had sensitive military data on it. 
What a waste of life. 

Some of these prices stick out in my mind:

Brand spanking new 1967 Cutlass Supreme $2800.00 OUT THE DOOR!

Rent on my first apartment 1967 $65.00 one bedroom

Rent on upstairs of a house in 1969 $85.00

Cost of our first house in Cleveland (not a bad neighborhood either) $13,500.00 (1970)

Cost of my parents house brand new in 1959 $19,500.00

Cigs .35 a pack, gas .28 cents a gallon

I remember...

• It cost $0.25 a gallon for gas, Dad paid. It was cheaper when there were gas wars.
  • A nice steak dinner, at a restaurant, was $7.95 in 1969. (I've always loved steak.)
  • I smoked until 1985. I think a carton was $20.00.
  • I did the grocery shopping. Mom gave me $20.00 and I got to keep the change. Woo hoo!
  • My allowance was $2.00 per week. When I mowed the lawn, my brother paid me $5.00, because it was his job. (He had a real job.)
  • We bought our first house in 1973. It cost $25,000. Of course, it was a slum. It was a Victorian that, in the 1940s, was turned into 7 apartments with 6 kitchens and 3 bathrooms.
  • When I took my first computer class (MIS 5), around 1987, I borrowed the neighbors portable. It looked something like this.

Jon Erlichman on Twitter: "On this day in 1982: Compaq unveils the ...

20 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I remember...

• It cost $0.25 a gallon for gas, Dad paid. It was cheaper when there were gas wars.
  • A nice steak dinner, at a restaurant, was $7.95 in 1969. (I've always loved steak.)
  • I smoked until 1985. I think a carton was $20.00.
  • I did the grocery shopping. Mom gave me $20.00 and I got to keep the change. Woo hoo!
  • My allowance was $2.00 per week. When I mowed the lawn, my brother paid me $5.00, because it was his job. (He had a real job.)
  • We bought our first house in 1973. It cost $25,000. Of course, it was a slum. It was a Victorian that, in the 1940s, was turned into 7 apartments with 6 kitchens and 3 bathrooms.
  • When I took my first computer class (MIS 5), around 1987, I borrowed the neighbors portable. It looked something like this.

Jon Erlichman on Twitter: "On this day in 1982: Compaq unveils the ...

We called those Luggable not portable. 

Back in the 1950's, Ethyl gasoline (premium) was 23.9 cents a gallon.  1969: Sharp ELSI-8 "portable" calculator would only add, subtract, multiply and divide...NO memory other than what it took to store the first entry before the second entry would calculate the answer: $345!  Pocket calculator today that will do a number of different things: $4.95 last time I bought one. 1972: Last of the 2nd Gen. Colt's SAS's at local store: $225.  Long time ago: 1st class letter 3 cents; "Penny Post Card: 1 cent:  Latest 1st Class first oz.: 55 cents.  Remember when a dollar was worth...a quarter? :wacko:

Wow...  per an "inflation calculator" site, Joe's 1949 television set was the equivalent of $6,493.67 in today's dollars.

Reckon some folks must've really needed their Kukla, Fran, and Ollie fix!  :rolleyes:

Emerson Radio Corporation Television Set - 1949: $599.50                                 image.jpeg.94d2cbe937c36ae27c9a5304995da5be.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

10 bucks for the world series 

IMG_0439.JPG

Aww, man... I'm torn between  image.png.55ead83fedf998509ed9915cad51ae59.png  and  image.png.9ae9f16e04e2cfe986dc514cb2654ce0.png .

I shoulda ougtta been there too, instead of sittin' in front of a li'l black and white TV twenty miles away.  :(

5 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Send me your ticket and i'll refund your $10

I cant believe I still have the stub 

now I would not pay dime to see any one ball game 

Archived