SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke, the series

I just bought the 65th anniversary collection of the entire series of Gunsmoke on DVD from Amazon.  All 635 episodes remastered, picture quality is excellent.  If a person watches one episode per day it will keep them entertained for almost 2 years.   It works out to .41 cents Cdn per episode.  An early birthday and Christmas present all rolled into one. 

The wife is a softy, she will still buy me a birthday and Christmas present.

Gunsmoke is my favorite western series.  I have DVDs with all the earlier radio shows.  Those are very good to listen to as well.

Cat Brules

Barb and I watch Gunsmoke every evening, some we've seen 2 or 3 times but once in awhile one pops up that we haven't seen. It's our favorite 1800's western but for a modern version of a Western we both love Yellowstone.

I don't want to hijack this post, but with apologies to the OP, I want to know what you think Matt uses for his 6 shooter.

I say that it is a 7.5 inch barrel Colt 45 with stag horn grips.

Great present, but I'd have a problem holding myself to one per day. Great series.

As far as the revolver goes:

Matt Dillon's revolver

James-arnez_revolver_gunsmoke_auctions

One used by Arness in the series sold at auction for $24,780 a few years ago.

Arness revolver sold at auction

I think this thread could go for several pages if it started down the Gunsmoke trivia trail.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, Cat Brules said:

Gunsmoke is my favorite western series.  I have DVDs with all the earlier radio shows.  Those are very good to listen to as well.

Cat Brules

I have the app on my cell phone that I pay $7 and change per year for approx 2000 episodes of various old radio shows.  I listen to them through my hearing aids.  When I'm sitting on the lawn tractor cutting my 3 acres of lawn, I put on my Put on my gun range muffs and listen to the various westerns.   Gunsmoke is good, with William Conrad (Cannon, Jake and the fat man) as Matt and Howard McNeer (the barber on the Andy Griffith Show) as Doc.  I just finished listening to the last episode of Luke Slaughter.  Cutting grass used to be a chore and now I love it, a great escape.

I have to update the, "the approx 2000 episodes of various old radio shows"  The Lone Ranger has 2249 episodes itself.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I have the app on my cell phone that I pay $7 and change per year for approx 2000 episodes of various old radio shows.  I listen to them through my hearing aids.  When I'm sitting on the lawn tractor cutting my 3 acres of lawn, I put on my Put on my gun range muffs and listen to the various westerns.   Gunsmoke is good, with William Conrad (Cannon, Jake and the fat man) as Matt and Howard McNeer (the barber on the Andy Griffith Show) as Doc.  I just finished listening to the last episode of Luke Slaughter.  Cutting grass used to be a chore and now I love it, a great escape.

Check out Audible.com.  You have access to thousands of hours of books on tape. I have well over a thousand hours of books down loaded that I haven't listened to yet.

We used to all sit and watch Gunsmoke on Saturday night when I was a kid. Mom brought out snacks and we were ready!

5 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Ever try to outdraw Matt at the beginning? We did.

Yes!!! I still do it!:lol:

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yes!!! I still do it!:lol:

Rye has only shot one TV! Would have been four but he missed three times! :P

9 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Rye has only shot one TV! Would have been four but he missed three times! :P

Nope never shot a TV but I did shoot a microwave! I’ll tell ya about it some time!:blush:

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nope never shot a TV but I did shoot a microwave! I’ll tell ya about it some time!:blush:

I'll buy the drinks.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll buy the drinks.

Look for it in another post. I don’t wanna hijack this one. 

Archived