SASS Wire Forum

Politics - real name versus nickname

Alpo

Which of these campaign commercials would you be more inclined to vote on?

My name is William Cody, and I am running for president.

Hi this is Billy. Please vote for me.

Had this pop-up ad appear. I heard the first few seconds of it before I could backspace out.

"Hi this is Joe..."

And I thought, "Joe??? You are running for the office of the leader of the Free World, on the basis of 'we're on a first-name basis'?"

I understand about giving them nicknames once they are in office. For eight years I referred to Ronnie. He was followed by George. Before him was Mr. Peanut, and before him was tricky dicky. I have no problem with giving the politician in office a nickname.

But I don't think Reagan would have gotten elected running as, "hi this is Ronnie".

It just seems --- stupid.

But, look who it is.

When a politician or someone in upper management gets “personal” with me, my guard goes up and stays up longer than it normally would. I don’t care what party they are from or line of business. 

I've dealt with some music directors, teachers and professors in schools that are actually Doctors of Music. They usually refer to themselves as Dr. Brown (example) I had one guy ,who BTW was a real jerk, Called himself Dr. Bobby Brown!!! I though he should have used Dr. Robert Brown instead but that's just me I guess.

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've dealt with some music directors, teachers and professors in schools that are actually Doctors of Music. They usually refer to themselves as Dr. Brown (example) I had one guy ,who BTW was a real jerk, Called himself Dr. Bobby Brown!!! I though he should have used Dr. Robert Brown instead but that's just me I guess.

Was he from the South?

I've noticed that up North, the kid that grew up answering to Bobby normally becomes Bob, Rob or Robert some time in his 20's, but in the South, he can continue to being Bobby if he prefers to.

The difference is, when Bobby hits about 50, some folks will start calling him Mister Bobby and the percentage that does so will increase as he ages.

I ignore campaign commercials. They are the worst thing ever! Full of half truths, deception and lies.

Well, as a "Joseph" myself and raised Roman Catholic, I tend to think of myself as "Joe."  The only time my full name was used, as in "Joseph!" was when I was in trouble. 

About the only time I use "Joseph" is when taking the Eucharist, in which case I'm "The Subdeacon Joseph" when I approach the Chalice. In responses to comments on the parish forum or FB page my signature is "Subdcn. Joe."  I introduce myself as Joe, not Joseph.  When we have priests visiting I'll correct them if they call me Joseph except at the Chalice.  

I don't see using a diminutive or other short form of a name as trying to be overly familiar or folksy.  

Now a nickname, that is something different.  If he said, "Hi! I'm 'Blast Away' Joe Biden and I approve this message." that would be something else.  Or say that Ken Stabler had run for office.  "Hi! I'm Kenny "Snake" Stabler and I approve this message." Nope, that doesn't fly.

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Not where I thought you were going.

I thought you were going to say that he told people, "Dr. Brown was my father. Call me Bobby".

Every time I hear someone say that, and I have never heard that in real life - just TV and movies - I want to bitch-slap 'em.

Got it from my father I suppose. I don't want people I don't know calling me by my first name. If we're not friends, then my name is Mister. Grown people that allow young children to call them by their first name. And that "my father was Mister" nonsense. Like the guy is afraid to grow up.

Joe, I believe you are missing my point.

I have no trouble if he wants to go by Joe Biden instead of Joseph Biden.

It was the, "hi this is Joe". Not "hi this is Joe Biden". "Hi this is Joe".

I have the same problem with Clinton. Everyone appears to refer to her as Hillary, like they're all good buddies with. If I had a friend named Hillary, I would call her Hillary. But Clinton is not, and I won't.

10 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Was he from the South?

I've noticed that up North, the kid that grew up answering to Bobby normally becomes Bob, Rob or Robert some time in his 20's, but in the South, he can continue to being Bobby if he prefers to.

Then there is the Southernism of 'Jim Bob' or 'Joe Bob' and the like. But Robert?  Well, he is just plumb Bob. 

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Joe, I believe you are missing my point.

I have no trouble if he wants to go by Joe Biden instead of Joseph Biden.

It was the, "hi this is Joe". Not "hi this is Joe Biden". "Hi this is Joe".

Ah! In the ads I have seen it is "Hi, this is Joe Biden."  Or maybe I'm automatically hearing it in my head because he closes the ads with his full name.

With The H Witch, I think the use of just the Christian name is to differentiate her from Slick Willie.  If you just say "Clinton" there could be confusion as to which one.  Politicians tend to be referred to by only one name: Clinton, Obama, Trump, Pelosi, Gowdy, Cruz, Schumer.  I guess DiFi for Feinstein is a nickname.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The difference is, when Bobby hits about 50, some folks will start calling him Mister Bobby and the percentage that does so will increase as he ages.

At least there is a reasonable means for showing proper deference to an adult who is a friend of the family.  Children of close friends have addressed me as "Uncle" for decades, and I addressed as "Uncle" an uncle of a friend when I was in my 50s. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Obama was often referred to as Barry or as I called him Obummer!!

I thought Bracko was appropriate in the case of this odoriferous slime-weasel.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Was he from the South?

No he was a redneck wanna be!!:P

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Then there is the Southernism of 'Jim Bob' or 'Joe Bob' and the like. But Robert?  Well, he is just plumb Bob. 

Rickey Bobby, if you’re second your just the first loser 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You mean James Robert and Joseph Robert in a family full of Jims and Joes in various forms? 

My family is like that with the name John in various forms.  I've seen 8 or more of us in speaking distance at the same time at family reunions.  We had 4 in the same boat on a family fishing trip back when I was a kid.

44 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You mean James Robert and Joseph Robert in a family full of Jims and Joes in various forms? 

My family is like that with the name John in various forms.  I've seen 8 or more of us in speaking distance at the same time at family reunions.  We had 4 in the same boat on a family fishing trip back when I was a kid.

Where I come from some of them Johns is knowed as Jack. or JC, JW, JR etc.

CJ

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I understand about giving them nicknames once they are in office. For eight years I referred to Ronnie. He was followed by George. Before him was Mr. Peanut, and before him was tricky dicky. I have no problem with giving the politician in office a nickname.

You forgot Gerry?

I been puttin' up with the political commercials, on t.v., for a while now. I figure it's just the season for it. But ole sniffin' Joe got my goat, the other day, when he said he wanted the United States to start teaching Islam in our public schools!!! If there was any cake in my house, at that moment, that took the cake.  From now on, any political commercials that are coming on, I will switch to another channel, or mute. it.

They will say anything, to get a vote, and pander to as many as they can. No big surprise there, it's been done since there have been elections...but some things they say just cross the line with me, besides being anti-gun/anti-2nd Amendment. 

Let's all vote this November, for sure, and vote for those that support our sport, no matter what party they belong to.  Most everyone, on this site anyway, will know who to support, and vote for, unless you have been in a coma for the last 40 years.

Let's git her done Pards.

W.K.

5 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Where I come from some of them Johns is knowed as Jack. or JC, JW, JR etc.

CJ

Throw in middle names, Big and Little prefixes, etc...  too.

Just don't walk in the room hollering, "Hey, John," because 3/4 of the men in the room will turn their heads.

And folks wonder why I'm so particular about answering to Johnnie.

44 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Throw in middle names, Big and Little prefixes, etc...  too.

Just don't walk in the room hollering, "Hey, John," because 3/4 of the men in the room will turn their heads.

And folks wonder why I'm so particular about answering to Johnnie.

Where I worked we had a large open room for a control center. My function was concentrated at one end of the room. We also had a joker named Ted. One day I saw Ted headed to the other end of the control room, which was fairly empty of people. I was busy so I didn't worry about it. Well after a short wait Ted yells out "Hey Bob" and five us turned and hollered "WHAT!" Everybody knew he was a joker and figured he was up to something, even though we hadn't noticed five of us were Bob's until he called.

We got him back one day when the five of us stationed ourselves around the control room and took turns calling out "Hey Ted". Fooled him about three times before he caught on and stopped answering. Some times I miss old Ted, he always had a good story to tell or stunt to pull.

CJ

Archived