SASS Wire Forum

Years supply?

Ringer

Last year I shot 36 weekends. Several of those weekends were annual events. Add a little practice and shooting some side match stuff,  conceal carry practice, teaching newbies, etc. I'd say about 10k is a good number. 

I know money's tight for some people. But with the lack of availability at times and the huge increase in cost during the shortages it would be cost effective to find a way to purchase primers when they are plentiful and as inexpensive as possible. Same with powder. Lead bullets haven't  been as big of a problem.

10 to 15 thousand for me.

I worked at a Shell station in high school. It always amazed the owner when people would come in and get 1 or 2 dollars worth. This was when gas was .30 or so, so it was still 3 or 6+ gallons. But he reasoned that it would be best to fill up on payday, then when you burned a quarter tank or so, fill again. This way you always had at least 3/4 of a tank to fall back on, not an empty tank. Same analogy for the primers. Buy a big amount then replenish as you use them. 

You know we are living in a tumultuous time when reloading supplies and ammo  has dwindled to not much out there.  But where is all the fly tying supplies gone?    

Yearly use varies, but I try to keep 3 maybe 4 years supply to make it thru the drought years      GW

I like to keep about 10K on the shelf.  But this year I am down to 2K and can't fine any at a reasonable price.

I listened to a CAS shooter say that he would not pay $50 for a brick (1k) of primers that he could buy for $30 last year.

I still do not understand that.

There is no ccomparison having a $.03 primer, not having a $.05 primer or buying a factory load for $.60 each.  The choice is obvious.

A greater question to me is whether, in the light of our current social tension, I want to expand 120 primers, when I may need rounds for more serious duty by the end of 2020.

I try to shoot 4 matches a month + occasional live fire practice.   So, that puts me at approx 7-10K a year, depending on whether my wife comes with me to shoot when I head to the indoor range, where we can easily send several hundred rounds downrange at a time... practicing with various types of guns. 

I reload for between 4 and 8 shooters.  I won't fall under 5k at any given time.    Generally I load around 120k a year for various activities.  we generally save up and buy a pallet every spring.  Get a few people to go in on it and its cost effective.  We paid $23 a thousand delivered. Just need a forklift or pallet jack to unload

15 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I reload for between 4 and 8 shooters.  I won't fall under 5k at any given time.    Generally I load around 120k a year for various activities.  we generally save up and buy a pallet every spring.  Get a few people to go in on it and its cost effective.  We paid $23 a thousand delivered. Just need a forklift or pallet jack to unload

Are you buying a pallet straight from a distributor? or will online places like Powder Valley ship a pallet lol.. 

The place I go to frequently still had primers at $29/k 5-6 months ago when I stocked up. Unfortunately I didn't buy as much as I should have lol 

After the long Sandy Hook shortage I changed my ammo & component purchasing decisions from "economic order quantity", buy based on inventory levels to "buy low" at quantities I can afford.  For hazmat items it means the cost including hazmat & freight is less than the price at Sportman's Warehouse , Cabela's or Sheels plus 120-140 miles of gas for a CUV.  Since I just acquired a 1944 Inland M1 Carbine, I checked my stock of small rifle primers.  I wish I had more in inventory.

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

How many primers on a pallet? 

I figure  4000 primers will last me 33 shoots, plus I have about 300 rounds loaded so I should be good for the rest of the season which ends around here in November. Fingers crossed that I may be able to find some more soon!!

On a regular shooting season, I go to 3 shoots a month plus 3 two day shoots. April-November. 8 months, (weather permitting that is) 5000 should get me through nicely.

Hmmm. Ophelia & I shoot 5 matches/mo each (same as Capt Bill Burt & Shootin Sharyn. I practice min once/week w/200+ rounds. OP practices about once/month. Maybe 6 big matches w/10 stages, plus side matches. Not counting shotgun, that's about 27K Federal FS100's.

As Purly asked, what's a pallet? & where do you buy a pallet? It wouldn't be hard to get some buds together & order a trainload at one time to save some bucks.

10 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Hmmm. Ophelia & I shoot 5 matches/mo each (same as Capt Bill Burt & Shootin Sharyn. I practice min once/week w/200+ rounds. OP practices about once/month. Maybe 6 big matches w/10 stages, plus side matches. Not counting shotgun, that's about 27K Federal FS100's.

As Purly asked, what's a pallet? & where do you buy a pallet? It wouldn't be hard to get some buds together & order a trainload at one time to save some bucks.

Let me know when you want to get a group together.

Kajun

5 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Let me know when you want to get a group together.

Kajun

Of course I knew you'd be in. I think we both know the names. When we figure out how to buy the bulk stuff at trainload savings, & when they're available again, we'll get out crew together for an order.

6 hours ago, Big Hand Zack said:

Are you buying a pallet straight from a distributor? or will online places like Powder Valley ship a pallet lol.. 

The place I go to frequently still had primers at $29/k 5-6 months ago when I stocked up. Unfortunately I didn't buy as much as I should have lol 

I buy straight from the distributor they generally have several amounts you can get but the min is 500,000 at least that's what my guy required

You folks are making me feel lots better!:)  I was afraid I would be accused of hoarding, but now I think I will buy a few more.

34 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You folks are making me feel lots better!:)  I was afraid I would be accused of hoarding, but now I think I will buy a few more.

If you can find em!

5 hours ago, Max Payne said:

Of course I knew you'd be in. I think we both know the names. When we figure out how to buy the bulk stuff at trainload savings, & when they're available again, we'll get out crew together for an order.

I'd get in on that buy.

I'd put up for at least 150k if they're a good price.

Keep me in the loop.

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I buy straight from the distributor they generally have several amounts you can get but the min is 500,000 at least that's what my guy required

Roughly what is the cost per sleeve of Federal primers when you buy a pallet?   I bet we could find a home for every one of those primers if the price was good.

Just now, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Roughly what is the cost per sleeve of Federal primers when you buy a pallet?   I bet we could find a home for every one of those primers if the price was good.

They have all found a home already

Archived