SASS Wire Forum

Flash Holes on Nipples

Whiskey Hicks

Just a simple question for you folks. I didn’t remove the nipples or worry about the flash holes on them last time I shot (first time). I cleaned everything else.

This time this afternoon I could barely get a single percussion cap on.

I found that my brass bore brush could get the outside of the nipples very well after soaking them. However, I had a hell of a time trying to use toothpicks on the flash holes.

Is there a better method or tool?

Can of compressed air like what you would use to clean a PC keyboard. Get one that also has the extension tube for reaching into tight areas.

After scrubbing all around the nipples with an old tooth brush and moose milk. Blow out any remaining debris with the canned air by inserting the extension tip into the nipple. Allow the cylinder to finish drying with the nipples up.

And if you haven't removed the nipples and applied a generous coating of anti-seize do it NOW before the nipple corrode into place. Also don't over torque them.

81LtIK5MYQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you don't already have one get yourself a nipple pick. I like this style.

image.jpeg.821499dd7dcfa1bab75c98eda981fdfa.jpeg

You can make your own it you have access to steel piano wire or steel guitar strings.

48 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Can of compressed air like what you would use to clean a PC keyboard. Get one that also has the extension tube for reaching into tight areas.

After scrubbing all around the nipples with an old tooth brush and moose milk. Blow out any remaining debris with the canned air by inserting the extension tip into the nipple. Allow the cylinder to finish drying with the nipples up.

And if you haven't removed the nipples and applied a generous coating of anti-seize do it NOW before the nipple corrode into place. Also don't over torque them.

81LtIK5MYQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you don't already have one get yourself a nipple pick. I like this style.

image.jpeg.821499dd7dcfa1bab75c98eda981fdfa.jpeg

You can make your own it you have access to steel piano wire or steel guitar strings.

I’ve got the pick that came with the wrench, but I’m afraid after not cleaning the nipples last time that the air won’t budge the fouling I wasn’t able to get out when I cleaned them this time.

Do I need to soften the last of the fouling with something else? Like I said I tried soaking in first balistol and water and then dish soap and water.

Use a metric socket to remove and install the nipples.

You will have to check the size.   It MAY BE 6.75mm, but I am unsure.  Get it at a good hardware store.

To keep the nipples clear, you should be able to find different gauges of piano wire in maybe 12”-18” lengths, at a good hardware store.  That is where I got mine.  Epoxy a short piece into a very small piece of wood.  No need to buy a $20 piece of gear. Make 2 to 4 of them and keep one in your cart, one with your gun cleaning gear, etc.  

Don’t stick toothpicks in nipples to try to clean or clear them....bad juju!

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

They are Slix.

Wow, that's surprising.

I just swill my cylinders in moose milk and then use the compressed air thru the nipples. I don't scrub (or even rub) the nipples and have never had trouble getting them on.

I assume you are using Remi#10 caps?

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I found out this thread was about cap & ball revolvers....

I immerse the cylinder in a plastic tub of hot soapy water.  Scrub the outside of the cylinder and nipples with a toothbrush.  While still holding the cylinder completely immersed, swab out the chambers with a mop and pump soapy water back and forth through the nipple using the mop like a piston.  Rinse the cylinder in clean water.  Dry the outside with a paper towel, and get most of the water out of the chambers with smaller pieces of paper towel held with forceps.  Finish drying the chambers and the inner face of the nipples with Q-tips.  You will be able to see daylight through the vents when done.  Pumping water through the vent is the key move.  Takes longer to write this than to do two cylinders.

53 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I immerse the cylinder in a plastic tub of hot soapy water.  Scrub the outside of the cylinder and nipples with a toothbrush.  While still holding the cylinder completely immersed, swab out the chambers with a mop and pump soapy water back and forth through the nipple using the mop like a piston.  Rinse the cylinder in clean water.  Dry the outside with a paper towel, and get most of the water out of the chambers with smaller pieces of paper towel held with forceps.  Finish drying the chambers and the inner face of the nipples with Q-tips.  You will be able to see daylight through the vents when done.  Pumping water through the vent is the key move.  Takes longer to write this than to do two cylinders.

^^THIS^^

When I shot Holy Black from a pair of Great Western/Uberti '58 Remington's, I always removed the nipples and used a pick to clean the flash holes.

Soap and water, followed by oil, always did the trick for mine.

:D  PLUS ONE too J-BAR :D

Simple and easy way to clean your cylinders and nipples at the same time.  I don't remove the nipples for cleaning.  Holding the cylinder in your hand, you can feel the water thru the nipple when you use the Swab like a piston.  I like a 410 swab.  Dry patch the chambers, oil patch in the chambers.  ALWAYS push my expensive custom made paper clip thru the flash hole.  :rolleyes:

with heavy fouling , that you can not get out , I would spray it down with simple green , let it soak for 15 min of so 

then clean with a oxi/acc tip brush , rince with hot water , a couple of times , dry with compressed air and oil 

SImple Green will take ALL the oil out of the pores of the metal , be sure to re oil anything , ya use SG on 

BC 

15 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Just a simple question for you folks. I didn’t remove the nipples or worry about the flash holes on them last time I shot (first time). I cleaned everything else.

This time this afternoon I could barely get a single percussion cap on.

I found that my brass bore brush could get the outside of the nipples very well after soaking them. However, I had a hell of a time trying to use toothpicks on the flash holes.

Is there a better method or tool?

Whiskey,

Slix or standard nipples, these are my procedures:

1. I remove the nipples and put them in a small medicine bottle with HOT water and Dish detergent.

2. Let them soak, then shake really well.

3. Pour out the liquid and do it again.

4. Then find a pick or brush that will fit into the flash hole.

5. Scrub the hole out as much as possible. If necessary do it ALL again.

6. Rinse with extremely HOT water and let dry out in the open.

7. Oil the nipples, even the Stainless Steel ones.

8. Wash out and scrub the nipple hole so that the treads do not retain powder or fouling.

9. Next time you shoot, fire off a cap on every cylinder without a charge to assure the nipple is clear.

10. Once you have them cleaned out do the wash every time you clean the gun after you are finished shooting.

11. DO NOT leave a gun fouled over night clean it when you get home from the range or hunting or what ever.

12. Always shoot out any loads you haven't used don't pull the bullets and dump the powder, you won't get it all.

13. BP is Hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) many of the substitutes are also, any powder left in the chamber will absorb moisture and create fouling, rust and damp powder that will not fire when needed.

14. Oil is your friend. Steel will rust if left unprotected long enough. Even SS is only resistant to rust not proof against it.

15. By introducing your weapon to BP with its corrosive components you have given even SS the strongest reason to corrode.

It was good enough for Wild Bill Hickok.

It is one of the stories of his life that every night he always emptied his Navy Colts by firing off each round before cleaning and reloading.

Being who he was I imagine he did one pistol at a time.

CJ Calder

18 hours ago, Chantry said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I found out this thread was about cap & ball revolvers....

I'm with you.  I thought that was an odd way to describe the hole left when a piercing is removed, but I could get there. 

Archived