SASS Wire Forum

English Lesson For Today

Subdeacon Joe

If'n ya's kin cifer dat, ya' miht be a redneck!!

Ah dunno whuthals tokinbout.

N thets furshir

CB

25 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... yain't just whistlin' Dixie ........

Y’all can’t whistle that no more!

Since the author is unaware that the first contraction is Y'ALL, not YA'LL, he's obviously an idiot. Why should you believe him about anything?

And Marshall, you are correct. When you remove letters to make a contraction, you replace the missing letters with an apostrophe. Thus Y ' (to take the place of the missing 'all) AIN'T

When I was in college in Texas, we had a guy in or dorm from Noo Joisey. I had to interpret for him and a Texas waitress once!

53 minutes ago, bgavin said:

My son-in-law is from Nola... he says "all y'all", so I wonder if "all y'aint" also applies...

Where’s Nola? Is that another annoying shortening of an area’s name?

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is that another annoying shortening of an area’s name?

Yes.

I blame the post office. It is annoying to be reading about something stupid going on in LA. You think, "what are them fools in California doing now?", and find out that it's Louisiana.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

My son-in-law is from Nola... he says "all y'all", so I wonder if "all y'aint" also applies...

'all y'all' includes everyone in the group addressed, as compared to 'summa y'all' which is used to indicate a portion of those addressed which is fewer than the total., or 'nunna y'all', which excludes everyone, and 'wunna y'all' which means an undetermined single person in the group:

"Summun here better speak up and let me know which wunna y'all did this, or I'm gonna whip all y'all. Summa y'all might think it's funny now, but nunna y'all's gonna be laughin' when I'm done."

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Yes.

I blame the post office. It is annoying to be reading about something stupid going on in LA. You think, "what are them fools in California doing now?", and find out that it's Louisiana.

And here I though your were going to say "what are them fools in Lower Alabama doing now"

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:41 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Y’all can’t whistle that no more!

How 'bout "Marching Through Georgia"?  A 4th Artillery band wouldn't play it at gun shows in Colorado because it caused too many fistfights!

I just noticed that the other night. I was watching El Dorado. Bull - Arthur Hunnicutt - has a distinct southern accent. In the first part of the movie, after Duke gets shot but before he meets Mississippi, Bull comes in playing his bugle, saying that it's a send off for one of Joe Hood's Texas cavalry boys.

Obviously Bull and Cole are ex-Confederates.

The scene where they have the three gunmen trapped in the church steeple, Bull says that if he had an extra rifle he would play Marching Through Georgia on the steeple bells.

It occurred to me that that would be a strange song choice for a good Confederate to mention.

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

'All ya'll' is plural and inclusive, so I don't see why not.  'All ya'llses' would be the plural possessive form.

23 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

"Jeet"= "Did you eat"

Around here, we get a lot of "jeetyet"

Archived