SASS Wire Forum

SBH Hammers

Bloody Glen Bob

Montado and SHB have the same profile. Difference is in the checkering on the hammer spur.

AFAIK you cannot buy new Montada hammers. They are only available on the SASS Rugers. 

Midway, Brownells, Ruger, etc but they can be hard to find.

Rumor has it that they only make them once a year, and when they are gone, they are gone until the next run.  Some of the cowboy smiths also lay in a stock, so might try them as well.

Normally a drop in job, I've done 3 sets that were, but have also heard of some that needed a little fitting.

I like mine, well worth the effort.  If you're not savvy to taking down a RNV that far, there are vids published by ruger on single action disassembly and re-assembly that are helpful.

Best of luck.

Grizz

In the absence of SBH hammers you can use easily available Bisley hammers. They require removal of material, easily done and not around the critical sear area.

Lem and I have done several.

Imis

You might try Boomstick Arms 

IMG_0291.thumb.jpg.9aaf00c5d98c6d3c1cb9a362d6a8840f.jpg

On 8/9/2020 at 6:41 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

In the absence of SBH hammers you can use easily available Bisley hammers. They require removal of material, easily done and not around the critical sear area.

Lem and I have done several.

Imis

My friends call me Chickamauga! The Bisley hammers were inexpensive, readily available, and, if you have a dremel tool or a good friend who knows how to wield one, easily fitted to the Vaquero. Thanks Imis.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:20 AM, AZDoc said:

I was just on the Brownell web site.  They do not have any Ruger Vaquero parts available.  I will check on Midway.

By the way, Brownells has lots of Vaquero parts listed. You won’t find a SBH hammer listed there.

On 8/9/2020 at 5:38 AM, Bingo Montana said:

Montado on the top, SBH on the bottom. 

9CDFB64C-52E5-4AC8-B090-0E76B3C97A76.jpeg

95BB22D0-E40B-4CC0-8B87-4655CC55CD1F.jpeg

The SBH hammer can be installed without any modifications, it will function as it's supposed to, but it does not "fit". The SBH hammer will not fill the gap between the ears. The New Vaquero hammer is bigger than the BH and SBH hammer in that dimension. A New Vaquero hammer, either one, cannot be installed in a BH or SBH without some grinding in that area. It may be semantics, but that gap is not a "fit".

I installed a New Vaquero hammer into my BH, it took some "fitting" before installation was possible. 

0Xxba9Al.jpg

From left to right; NV hammer, BH hammer, SBH hammer.

FWIW: the Bisley hammer is even larger in that area.

WTmKrk4l.jpg

rPPFtRUl.jpg

gPWatDml.jpg

I've attempted to keep the L to R consistent, Ruger BH hammer, Ruger New Vaquero Hammer, Ruger Super Blackhawk hammer, New Vaquero SASS (Montado) hammer. In the rounded area the New Vaquero is app. 0.040" larger in radius than the BH and SBH hammers. 

BB

SBH Hammer gap.jpeg

Boomstick Arms has them....

I just left there and there was a box with several pairs of Brand New Super Blackhawk Hammers sitting on Jayson's workbench..........

I think some of those were already spoken for......... But he probably has more........ Give him a call.

https://www.boomstickarms.com/

Archived