SASS Wire Forum

A Slippery Marlin

Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737

Ok, let's see what you all think. What is the best lube to use on a 1894 Marlin? I ONLY shoot smokeless powder.

Where are the most important spots to lubricate. How lubed is too lubed and how  lubed is not enough.

Gonna make some popcorn and wait for you all the share.

Widder, who is the Marlin master, tells everyone the best lube is either Jif or Peter Pan peanut butter. If I'm remembering right it's creamy for the Marlin 94 and crunchy for the 97; I'm sure that's what he told Red Knee at TN State last year...

36 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Widder, who is the Marlin master, tells everyone the best lube is either Jif or Peter Pan peanut butter. If I'm remembering right it's creamy for the Marlin 94 and crunchy for the 97; I'm sure that's what he told Red Knee at TN State last year...

Without Jelly the peanut butter is not worth a damn. But for once I am looking for serious opinions

1 minute ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

Without Jelly the peanut butter is not worth a damn. But for once I am looking for serious opinions

Oh, well I primarily shoot Black Powder and use a light coat of Ballistol on everything. My son's Marlin always ran fine that way.

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

Oh, well I primarily shoot Black Powder and use a light coat of Ballistol on everything. My son's Marlin always ran fine that way.

+1

Lube action parts with Ballistol after cleaning.  Also, after every two stages I use a small needle oiler to place a drop of Ballistol on each of the following: Firing pin nose, extractor well, end of the lever where it enters the bolt.  A 6 stage match is usually no problem, even with the blowback from full loads of Goex/Graf's in .45 Colt.  On exceptionally dry days, I may have to swab the chamber with a wet-wipe after two or three stages to remove any buildup if levering starts to feels "sticky," but those days are few and far between in my neck of the woods.

CS

Howdy Wyatt.

That special lube mentioned by Tyrell is strictly for Red Knee... ;)

Seriously, I don't know about BP but for smokeless, I think there are a good handful.

Mostly, I don't really overrule.   I just clean the gun and wipe off with StrikeHold, Eezox or Marvel Mystery Oil.

For cleaning, I use a 50/50 mix of Marvels Mystery Oil and WD40.

If you looked at my guns, Rifle, pistols and my 97's, you'll probably notice they appear to have no oil.   

Thats about how little I use to wipe em off and run em that way.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Wyatt.

That special lube mentioned by Tyrell is strictly for Red Knee... ;)

Seriously, I don't know about BP but for smokeless, I think there are a good handful.

Mostly, I don't really overrule.   I just clean the gun and wipe off with StrikeHold, Eezox or Marvel Mystery Oil.

For cleaning, I use a 50/50 mix of Marvels Mystery Oil and WD40.

If you looked at my guns, Rifle, pistols and my 97's, you'll probably notice they appear to have no oil.   

Thats about how little I use to wipe em off and run em that way.

..........Widder

Been using the StrikeHold myself. I only shoot smokeless.

Archived