SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of Space Force

Utah Bob #35998

I watched some of Close Encounters of the Third Kind while exercising today. I remember being blown away seeing it in the theater 

in 77. What a great flick!

Star Wars was also released in 77. Pretty good year for SyFy fans.

They were both very much fun movies.

i recall we waited in a very long line in Long Beach, CA to see the first showing of Star Wars.  

Cat Brules

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm still waiting for Buzz Corey, Commander In Chief of the Space Patrol with his cadet sidekick to ring in on this one.

Might need some help from Capt. Video and his Video Rangers, with some additional personnel from Space Academy U.S.A., in the world beyond tomorrow, 2350 AD! (In some of the scenes there are space ships landing by backing down on their exhaust plumes.  Now who ever heard of such a thing? SciFi, right?  Wait...what's that, Elon? :D )

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

i recall we waited in a very long line in Long Beach, CA to see the first showing of Star Wars.  

Cat Brules

We saw it in Orange at a mega theater at the first showing there.

UB, the movie you were watching was called "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".  Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr starred in it, along with some cool little grey aliens.

8 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

UB, the movie you were watching was called "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".  Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr starred in it, along with some cool little grey aliens.

Right. Why did I type First? I've seen it probably 20 times. :D

28 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We saw it in Orange at a mega theater at the first showing there.

Orange what??

I've seen it about 20 times too, it's one of my favorite movies (I was a big fan of Teri Garr :wub:)

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Might need some help from Capt. Video and his Video Rangers, with some additional personnel from Space Academy U.S.A., in the world beyond tomorrow, 2350 AD! (In some of the scenes there are space ships landing by backing down on their exhaust plumes.  Now who ever heard of such a thing? SciFi, right?  Wait...what's that, Elon? :D )

One of the SpaceX engineers was talking about a meeting they had. They were trying to figure out how to increase the size of the chutes to soften the landing a bit. They were going back and forth about circumferences, material, stress points, drag coefficients, etc.

Suddenly Elon spoke up and said, "Why don't we just use 4 chutes?"

And they did. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I've seen it about 20 times too, it's one of my favorite movies (I was a big fan of Teri Garr :wub:)

Oh yeah!! :wub:

Glad ya didn't mean orange jumpsuit! :D

41 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

One of the SpaceX engineers was talking about a meeting they had. They were trying to figure out how to increase the size of the chutes to soften the landing a bit. They were going back and forth about circumferences, material, stress points, drag coefficients, etc.

Suddenly Elon spoke up and said, "Why don't we just use 4 chutes?"

And they did. :lol:

Having worked on the parachute recovery system for the Space Shuttle solid rocket boosters, I would love to compare the designs of both systems.  I have tried to contact SpaceX to see if I could get some facts and figures, respecting their proprietary data, but so far haven't been able to get an email to them.  SRB Decelerator Subsystem (SRB-DSS) used three 136 ft. diameter main chutes extracted by a single drogue.  Landing speed was about 60 mph, but the booster weighed about 170,000 lbs on splashdown! I noted that the Crew Dragon chutes had a single reefing line on each chute, whereas we disreefed in two stages. Our reefing line cutters were of the guillotine type fired by a MIL-SPEC small rifle primer triggered by a firing pin triggered by a lanyard attached to the deployment bag, which in turn set off a time charge.  There were two cutters in series on each line, in case one failed to fire. Once, after recovery one primer was found not to have fired even though the firing pin imprint was clearly visible.  The vendor, Olin, was told by NASA to NEVER have another failure to fire.  Olin replied that they expected one f-t-f per 20,000 primers (that's one per 20 cartons of primers), and if NASA didn't like that they could go qualify another vendor.   End of that discussion! :P 

10 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

I was vacationing at MCRD Parris Island when it came out. I remember thinking that I hoped it stayed at the theaters until I got out of training.:blush:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Orange what??

A couple of the original prints had the color all screwed up and the movie was orange.

NO!  OK, in case yout really did not know, he’s referring to the City of Orange, California.

Cat Brules

Archived