SASS Wire Forum

Billy Joel concerts

Lawdog Dago Dom

I attended EVERY Volunteer Jam (Charlie Daniels' signature concert for a couple of decades) until they started selling "VIP" seating up next to the stage!!  The venue had changed and "festival" seating was moved to the rear of the venue.  Those general admission folks were the ones who made Charlie what he was and he new it!!  Wasn't long before the Jam faded away once the "unwashed masses" were prevented from going down to the stage!! 

I always liked Festival Seating. I had never attended a “shut up, sit down and behave” concert until I moved to California. Kind of took the fun out of it. Sitting in a theater watching Steppenwolf and The Animsls with a bunch of rowdy bikers was the highlight of weird. :blink:
Then there was Dire Straits at the Greek Theater...kind of like going to a high school dance with your cousin. Lots of great music and ambiance but somethin’ just ain’t right...:wacko:

When I was stationed in Spain, Johnny Rodriguez was at the EM club one weekend.  In front of the stage was a dance floor. About 1/2 way through the first song he stopped and wanted to know why no one was dancing.  So a bunch of us obliged him.  When a few people objected he stopped again and informed them he was here to have a good time and to him that meant having his audience dancing drinking and getting a little rowdy.

By the end of the weekend we ensured he had just as much fun as the rest of us.    

I was in Louisville, Ky. back in 1978 for a two-week training seminar, and Billy Joel  with his band was staying in the same hotel.  Some of his group, who were very cordial, agreed to get him to sign albums for several of us, so we all went and bought an album.  When asked to sign them, Joel refused, so we all took the albums back for a refund.   Never liked Joel since.......

Billy Joel has an odd reputation. Plenty of stories on both sides of the cool-to-fans / total-butthead line. Personally, I’ve heard more on the positive side, and love his music, so that’s where I’ll land. 

Here’s my all time favorite Billy Joel moment:

Archived