SASS Wire Forum

Why Does A 14 Year Old Have A Bed Like That?

Subdeacon Joe

Looking at some of the stuff the kid had in his room I have a feeling that the parents should have lowered the boom on him a while ago:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/tough-love-phoenix-family-gives-away-teens-belongings-after-high-speed-joyride-in-familys-range-rover?fbclid=IwAR3rgqgd1YETnY9O835AVo53K9iz0dcxfAkiPY3wVGMfhIX5LDfIR9ouiNI

Family gives away teen's possessions for taking car on joyride

Giving away the kid’s bed was a really bad idea.

Cat Brules

My last word.......His bed may have been a hand-me-down, but in any case, it isn’t unusual.....the type bed you speak of Is a “cot,” and isn’t even a normal “twin bed,” typically purchased in pairs for kids who share a small bedroom.  I had my parents’ old “double” bed, about the size of this kid’s bed or larger.  My folks wouldn’t have considered moving it out to punish or humble me.  Boys do stuff that gets them in trouble.  For what they did with this boy, they should have turned him over to the county and farmed him out as an “uncontrollable” foster child.  THAT would have taught him a lesson, right?

Cat Brules

I have no problem with the "punishment."  But regarding the bed... I've bought a few beds for youth in my life, and that one ain't nothing special. 

When my son was this kid's age he'd plumb overlap a "twin" bed; could only sleep in a "full" at an angle.  :lol:

I'm thinkin' a hammock stretched between two trees in the back yard might be appropriate for this guy.  :rolleyes:

The youngster's still got his phone in hand, and that's probably the most serious problem right there. Take the smart phone away, get him a cheap flip phone or something if he 'really' needs a phone.

That TV looks about as big as the one I have now. That shouldn't have been in a kid's bedroom to begin with.

Something else that needs to go away -- the door to the kid's bedroom. 

Giving it all away sounds cool, but three things come to mind:

- some places, there'd be a CPS visit just about as soon as the newscast was over. No bed? Making him sleep on the floor? Hmm.

- at some point, it's got to be replaced. From what I've seen, I doubt it will be with basic needs.

- he's getting a lot of attention. He's got a cell phone. I'd guess he was basking in his notoriety in little to no time at all.

Hmmm....you've got a 14 year old son, with a prior history of trouble that has brought him to the attention of the police; you decide to go to Las Vegas, and leave him home (alone - ?) - with the keys for the Land Rover.  What could possibly go wrong?  

Giving away his stuff seems unnecessarily punitive - but the phone and the TV would definitely be locked in a closet, a learners permit would be delayed a year, and the chores would double.

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Hmmm....you've got a 14 year old son, with a prior history of trouble that has brought him to the attention of the police; you decide to go to Las Vegas, and leave him home (alone - ?) - with the keys for the Land Rover.

‘Cause, you know — why should being parents of a kid with behavior problems change what THEY get to do?

Yard sale? Kid free for the taking?

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I have no problem with the "punishment."  But regarding the bed... I've bought a few beds for youth in my life, and that one ain't nothing special. 

When my son was this kid's age he'd plumb overlap a "twin" bed; could only sleep in a "full" at an angle.  :lol:

I'm thinkin' a hammock stretched between two trees in the back yard might be appropriate for this guy.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, but that kid on that bed brings to mind the line from The Quiet Man, "Is that a bed or a parade ground?"

I thought they were "Outing The Spoiled Kid" ....

My youngest will be 26 in a couple of weeks ...

Love to see any or all of my 5 kids coming for a Spell .... Grandkids are the very best !!!

They have made good choices in whom they married, love those In-Laws ...

Jabez Cowboy 

7 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

The youngster's still got his phone in hand, and that's probably the most serious problem right there. Take the smart phone away, get him a cheap flip phone or something if he 'really' needs a phone.

- he's getting a lot of attention. He's got a cell phone. I'd guess he was basking in his notoriety in little to no time at all.

Watch the video.

That's a glass of water...same as his male parent has.

16 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Watch the video.

That's a glass of water...same as his male parent has.

Somewhere I've seen a photo of this kid on the bed with a cell phone in hand.

Edit to add -- went to look, couldn't find the other picture with a cell phone. Meh.

Looks like the kid still got to have ice in his water. What's up with that?

Archived