SASS Wire Forum

Throwing in the Towel

When the company I worked for was moving we donated about 5000 sq. feet of circa 1957 office furniture to Habitat for Humanity.  They came and picked it all up.

Horace

good for you , enjoy it , 

ive been retired twice - neither on my schedule , first time i went back to work and enjoyed it , this time thanks to covid im going to call it good , im still getting used to it - since march 27 , but with everything being so uncommon these days - im taking my time getting into it , 

23 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Loophole:

You have likely added 25 years to your life.

I've been retired now for 20 years and I'm looking forward to being an even Grumpier OFWG.

Congratulations.

Enjoy.

You deserve it.

My theory too. I had a great manager who retired because, he said, he wanted to be alive to enjoy his retirement.

So, I got a promotion, waited a year for that salary to be included in my retirement check, and went out the door less than four months after I hit the age to collect that check.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:24 PM, Kid Rich said:

One thing that works well for stuff you don't want or want to sell is put a pile of it out front of your house with a free sign on it. People will take anything.

kR

I picked up a desk for my home office that way.

Congratulations on your retirement.  I retired on December 31, 2015 at 3:30 PM (but who's keeping track).  It was the best move I ever made.

Be sure you have something going on to keep your mind active.  I'm the Secretary of the locall planning commission and Vice Commander of our Sons of the American Legion squadron.  The borough government appreciates my work and it enables me to give something back to my community.

Local governments are always looking for volunteers to serve on various commissions and boards.  With your experience I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.

I was part of the 60,000 laid off at IBM in the early 90s.
Those of us getting close to pension age were shown the door.
IBM raped our pensions and retirement, cut us a paltry severance check that was dependent on a promise not to sue down the road.

The good news:  IBM could not rape our vested rights.
When I turned 65, my old manager told me to check and see if I had anything... and I did.
"Shocked".

I worked contract for a long time, then was picked up by HP.
That was great work, until management torqued off our customer so bad, they went straight to the lawyers.
HP laid us all off.  It was very good while it lasted, though.

IBM is doing the same again today as a new crop of employees closes in on retirement age.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Kid Rich said:

One thing that works well for stuff you don't want or want to sell is put a pile of it out front of your house with a free sign on it. People will take anything.

kR

I found that if you put it out on the street with a sign that says :"DO NOT TAKE" it goes much quicker.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, bgavin said:

IBM could not rape our vested rights

No, but Kemper could fire your ass three weeks before you were vested.  Ask me how I know.

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Insurance companies.....

Grrrrrrrrrrr.......

You would say that.  Wanna hear what we said about you lot?

Seriously, during voire dire the plaintiff's atty in a work comp said something about "bleep" happens.  When he questioned me, I told him "if you're asking me if I know the difference between 'bleep' happens and legal liability, then yes, sir, I do."  He couldn't get me out of the jury box quick enough.

14 hours ago, MizPete said:

You would say that.  Wanna hear what we said about you lot?

Seriously, during voire dire the plaintiff's atty in a work comp said something about "bleep" happens.  When he questioned me, I told him "if you're asking me if I know the difference between 'bleep' happens and legal liability, then yes, sir, I do."  He couldn't get me out of the jury box quick enough.

Actually, MizPete, I spent a great deal of my time representing insurance companies and their insureds; this gave me an up-close and personal view of how insurers function.  I would have welcomed you and your insight on any jury I selected.  My complaints arose from their unprofessional attitudes regarding billing practices (my bills, which were routinely cut without justification or meaningful right of appeal) and their constant turnover of adjusters and managers, leading to a never-ending need to re-educate new people on the details of the cases and the basis for my analysis and recommendations.  Overall, insurance is a lumbering, grinding beast, ill equipped to deal with complicated cases and constantly focused on mindlessly cutting expenses - "bean counting".  Dealing with insurers is tiring.  Twenty years ago, I committed to representing primarily self-insured companies - people who knew their products and were committed to defending them; I kept a few insurers as clients, but only those who were serious about working closely with counsel and paying bills responsibly.  

Geez, I've only been retired a few days, and already they're dragging me back in...let's talk about something else.

How about them Red Sox....oh....never mind!

LL

13 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Overall, insurance is a lumbering, grinding beast

I don't disagree.  After Kemper, I was privileged to work with a woman who was the designated agent for an association of building materials dealers - we insured lumber yards.  We functioned as a captive for a mid-western company who went into business for this purpose.  With 2/12 female employees we were their largest producing agency, turned an underwriting profit, and enjoyed a retention rate well over 96%.  We concentrated on educating clients so they could make informed decisions and loss control so that we could pay workers comp dividends most years and keep rates reasonable.  We never questioned a legitimate claim (yeah, we watched 3rd party liability claimants like a hawk since our Insureds were a target group).  This prepared me poorly for the "real world," in which I learned why insurance agents are considered next to used-car salesmen.  In the three agencies in which I subsequently worked, I was asked to lie to insureds and underwriters, encourage fraud against insurers to obtain lower rates, and similar horror stories.  I could not survive in that environment.  I took my CIC and 3/4 CPCU and retired.  I will take in laundry before returning to the industry.  Sad part is, during the part insuring lumber yards, I loved the industry & my place in it.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 12:09 PM, bgavin said:

I hate to discard stuff I have not used in awhile (or 30 years), because as soon as it is gone, I need it, then have to go out and buy it again.

Amen.

I received a very tempting offer this evening to end my 36 year career in law enforcement. 

It would mean moving into retail sales and management.   I'm good at both.  

But it's still scary turning loose of what you've been good at for over a third of a century.

18 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I received a very tempting offer this evening to end my 36 year career in law enforcement. 

It would mean moving into retail sales and management.   I'm good at both.  

But it's still scary turning loose of what you've been good at for over a third of a century.

That's very true, and a call only you can make.

It's like going to a party. It's good to be on time when it starts. But the challenge is knowing when to leave.

I hung up being LEO after 26 years, the last 13 tracking nothing but paroled sex offenders. Once you are out a couple of years, it is amazing how good it feels to not dealing with violent stupidity all week long.

Archived