SASS Wire Forum

Throwing in the Towel

After 43 years on the job, I'm throwing in the towel.  Retiring as soon as I can send out some final bills on a couple of lingering cases.  Packing my books, cleaning my hard drive, and renewing my bar memberships for one last year (in case anything interesting comes up).  

It's a strange feeling not to be under the gun on cases and court deadlines.  

Next project - cleaning out the house and getting it sold.  Man, can you accumulate over the course of 25 years.  Thinking of getting a dumpster so I can avoid 500 trips to the dump.  Trying to ditch as much as I can.  Our retirement cottage is substantially smaller than our current home; something has to give. I have no idea where to put my reloading gear, ammo and guns.  Planning on building an addition, including a 2 car garage, so maybe I'll include a gun room with a vault door.

Any hints on cleaning out/down sizing?

LL

Only one hint!  Try to NOT be sentimental with things you don’t use or haven’t used in years!!!

My wife says to seriously consider getting rid of anything you haven't used in a year.   I'd also consider donating stuff to the Salvation Army.  They will pick up some of the larger things and will sell anything usable to support their mission.

If you have kids, nieces, nephews, inlaws, etc, give them a chance to take whatever you have decided to pitch.  They will revere the mementos.  Then garage/ house sale.  Then donate the leftovers to a charity for a tax write off.  

Congratulations and good luck!

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Only one hint!  Try to NOT be sentimental with things you don’t use or haven’t used in years!!!

Excellent advice.  My usual rule of thumb is "if I haven't touched it in 1 year, it's out of here".  Of course, there are some sentimental things that that doesn't apply to, but that's my overall rule.

Dumpster and large fire pit. When I retired I had over 1000 homicide cases that were my copies. I filled the entire trunk of a 89 Grand Marquis and took the stuff with me. After about a month I thought what the heck was I doing. It took a VERY LONG TIME to burn all those cases. I still have maybe 10 of them. The ones really personnel that were never cleared. The ones that have ghost and will haunt me for the rest of my life. Mostly children.

We have a document shredding service close to our house.
You might consider this, if you have endless boxes of case files.

More important: make MULTIPLE backups of your critical files.
Do NOT trust a single backup.
Test your backups after creating them.

Use a backup method that is not proprietary.
Use a standard ZIP, .7Z or .RAR, which are widely supported.
RAR and 7Z are my personal choices.

These archives can be password protected, so choose one you will never, ever forget.
You cannot hack a password protected archive if you cannot remember the password.

I hate to discard stuff I have not used in awhile (or 30 years), because as soon as it is gone, I need it, then have to go out and buy it again.

When my wife and I retired and sold our house of 30 years, we put everything in storage for 6 months while we traveled in our motorhome. We were surprised at how little of it we missed. We finally bought a bigger retirement home, but still threw ( or donated) a huge amount away rather than move it. Now, every 3 or 4 years we just pretend we're moving and purge again. It actually feels pretty good!

I retired five years ago and moved two and a half years ago.  I'm still getting rid of stuff.  To me the hardest thing, other than , of course guns, is tools.  I think I have every tool made by man and probably some that have not been invented yet!   How do you thin out the herd?

When we moved 4yrs ago, we donated a lot of stuff to local churches.  As far as furniture goes, if you have your retirement home already outfitted, then throw it away, or donate it/garage sale.  We got rid of a bunch of furniture, but still brought some things with us.  We hired a guy who runs a "cleaning out" service and he took a trailer full of stuff to the local dump.  Trying to do it yourself is very time consuming.  We left everything that we weren't taking with us in the house and he cleaned it out after everything we wanted to take with us was packed.

Lots of good advice here.

Having moved across country several times, over a dozen, I can tell you that no matter what you will have regrets on things that you got rid  of or things you kept that you should have gotten rid of. The best thing you can do is have a sit down with your wife and loved ones and determine exactly what your goals are and listen to theirs. You may find that things you think are unimportant are very important to others.

Also, this idea  that if you haven't used it in a while you should get rid  of it is a good way to look at things BUT, there is always a "but", I have learned a little something from that funny cute Japanese lady regarding keeping vs disposing of things. Something what brings you happiness should not be disposed of regardless of age or last time it was used.

PS We had great yard sales periodically when we lived 6 blocks from the Capitol. The best time was when I accidentally listed Fri and Sat instead of Sat and Sun.

Then, it wasn't the ad as much as our being compelled to start setting up and having the signs out at 6:00 am.

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

After 43 years on the job, I'm throwing in the towel.  Retiring as soon as I can send out some final bills on a couple of lingering cases.  Packing my books, cleaning my hard drive, and renewing my bar memberships for one last year (in case anything interesting comes up).  

Next project - cleaning out the house and getting it sold.  Man, can you accumulate over the course of 25 years.  Thinking of getting a dumpster so I can avoid 500 trips to the dump.  Trying to ditch as much as I can.  Our retirement cottage is substantially smaller than our current home; something has to give. I have no idea where to put my reloading gear, ammo and guns.  Planning on building an addition, including a 2 car garage, so maybe I'll include a gun room with a vault door.

LL

Here’s my hint:

:

DON’T DO IT......You’ll be sorry.

Cat Brules

Howdy,

Tools you should keep.  Unless you have several of the same thing.

And even then you might want some in the garage and the same in the basement

and in the car....

Guns? if you bought one to use for a particular purpose and you dont do that, sell it.

Papers from work? Those were tossed my last day of work.

I asked if anyone wanted working notes and no hands went up.....

Start a file of receipts for items with warranty periods.

Best

CR

“It’s the weight that you carry from the things you think you want”

Zac Brown Band

Congrats, Loophole!  I still have 4 more years to go.  I already have 43 years this year with my employer.

Congrats. I retired from a practice like yours after 44 years. It was just right, really. It was getting harder to climb the mountain, but I wanted to go while I still could climb it. There are things I miss and things I don't,  but in any event I have zero regrets and will never practice again. I put a bow on it and am happy about the whole thing.

I didn't have the retirement downsize issue. We live within walking distance of 9 grandchildren and are a town over from the other three. We're not moving anywhere!

Congrats on the pending retirement.

After 21 years in our current house we decided it was time to clean out accumulations. We rented a 20 yard dumpster Three Times!!!  

Congrats on the decision. 

I have a link to a countdown calendar on my computer.  This morning is 1450 days until my retirement.  

It sounds shorter to think 4 years.

I dread the thought of downsizing my guns, ammo and reloading supplies.  And my tools...  That's gonna be a challenge.

Jersey Bratt retired yesterday. Im going to have to be real careful over the next few weeks as she will be on a throwing out spree. If I sit still for too long I might awaken from a nap and find myself in the front yard with a "FREE" sign.

Imis

Congratulations!

Guys I worked with predicted I would get another "cop" job within a year. Nope. Been there, done that, closed the book. Went back to school as a substitute teacher in a small grade/high school.

"But you are going to miss the job!!"

I miss the clowns, but I don't miss the circus.

That's why I like to sub. I don't HAVE to go in when they call. Find something like that to do. You had too many years being tied to a schedule.

One major flaw in the downsizing scheme is that some family, usually adult children, think your house is a warehouse for things they don't want now, but may want later.

You will have to figure out how to work that one.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

"But you are going to miss the job!!"

I miss the clowns, but I don't miss the circus.

Bingo!!

Something else you’ll have to deal with is the idea that since you’re retired, you are automatically nominated for every volunteer job and expected to pitch in on every project that comes around!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Something else you’ll have to deal with is the idea that since you’re retired, you are automatically nominated for every volunteer job and expected to pitch in on every project that comes around!!

I carefully developed a series of aches, pain and medical conditions, easily aggravated in response to any such requests.  Never thought that I would be glad to have a bad back ;)

LL

On 8/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Congratulations! 

Contrarian argument here!

I retired 5 years ago and we did similar changes - but in reverse.

Because there were many things we wanted to do post work life, we ended up with a bigger house on more land.

This enables the kids and their families to come stay for days a a time.

This lets us put her car in the garage to keep it warm and dry all winter. 

I have a dedicated room as my office and wet bar.

We have a workshop where I have my woodworking tools, my reloading equipment and where

she has her potting shop.

We have another outbuilding for the lawn mowers and such.

We built a real garden and planted heirloom trees for making ciders.  We're setting up to be an organic farm

and teaching facility (small scale)

We eliminated a lot of stuff that we hadn't used in years, and have since purchased other more useful things,

and frankly we could use more space. 

She's making soap, I'm learning to air cure meat (Biltong, Salami, etc.).  We ride our bicycles, we're starting to get our canoe out on the lake again.

The last five years have been a whirlwind, but fun!

Being many hours from Seattle, we avoid all the nastiness of that big city.

Retirement is great, but I'm not sure eliminating things is the only way to go. I think for us allowing ourselves to expand and do more is a

key to staying alive and being motivated.  There are so many things to do, but no pressure to do them, so they're fun!  That's important, as

after a career of being an A type, and being busy and under pressure all the time, being totally free can get a tad boring after a while.

You miss solving problems, working with people to develop and test designs, etc.  Now I get a full 8 hours sleep everyday, and I work on things

around the house with my wife and we enjoy every day fully.

Again, Congratulations, and enjoy what is to come!

Shadow Catcher

Loophole:

You have likely added 25 years to your life.

I've been retired now for 20 years and I'm looking forward to being an even Grumpier OFWG.

Congratulations.

Enjoy.

You deserve it.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Went from a 2300 sf house to an 1100 sf house, 3 car to a 3/4 car garage (ouch). Burnt up one shredder and used the fire pit to burn the rest.

Had one garage sale (we both hate them), marked some things free, did a few craigslist ads, and donated the rest. We still didn't get rid of enough, but we have an idea of what we haven't used or wanted after the move. The gun safe is an issue, it may or not move to another room.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:43 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

...  Retiring ...Any hints on cleaning out/down sizing?

Congratulations on the retirement!  I believe you will enjoy setting you own deadlines instead of being the pin ball in the machine called life. 

Down sizing.  Can't help there.  When I throw something out the wife brings back two or three more.

I actually didn’t downsize. I DID divest our home of SEVERAL truck loads of junk and gave away another truck load or two.

We had a 60’ X 40’ shop built next to the house for my vehicles, projects, and hobbies, as well as storage for stuff that didn’t rate as junk from around the house.  The shop is a full on automotive shop with lift, welding/fabrication equipment, general repair tools, electrical and minor hydraulic, and HVAC equipment.  It’s something I wanted for myself for twenty-five or more years! It can hold all of our toys and keeps me off the streets....  most of the time. :rolleyes:

I managed to retire from the Hat business and I seldom do automotive repair work for other people.  I will occasionally take in someone’s interesting project, but with the understanding that it will be completed on my schedule and at my leisure.

The storage provided by the shop allowed me to dedicate a room in the house to my guns and ammunition and to my band gear. It also let us open up another room for a guest room.

Earlier this week, we had the driveways to the shop and to the house paved and began clearing some of the trees from around the place.

We rarely ever thought of moving somewhere else.  Now we have the time to really make the place like we want it.

Retirement is what you make of it if you have done a little planning and can get to a point where you are financially secure.  It’s the reward you get for working your as$ off all those years!!!!

Archived