SASS Wire Forum

? about Ruger pistol strength

When Ruger makes a pistol, is the strength of the steel the same for their .44 magnums,  Super Blackhawks and Super Blackhawk Hunter

models the same as their .454 Casull and .480 revolvers?

..........Widder

Widder,

Here is what I would do. I would review this attachment then call Ruger and ask them what steels they use in each model using their own casting charts as a reference. 

https://ruger.com/casting/PDF/PineTreeCastings.pdf

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Widder,

Here is what I would do. I would review this attachment then call Ruger and ask them what steels they use in each model using their own casting charts as a reference. 

https://ruger.com/casting/PDF/PineTreeCastings.pdf

As a material science/technology engineer I find that data fascinating.  I don't know what alloy Ruger uses in its .454 Casull guns.  Freedom Arms used 17-4 PH (Precipitation Hardening) alloy for its guns.  That stuff is hellferstout!  Although they call it "stainless steel", it is a different type of alloy in that family.  As far as I know, the single action Rugers are also very strong.  When the New Vaquero came out, I was told by someone definitely in the know, that the New gun was very strong also, although they state NOT to load .45LC guns in that model hotter than a Colt's SAA. Having shot the original Freedom Arms gun in .454 (two shots were enough, thank you!), I would not buy one.  That has nothing to do with the strength of the guns, but with the low strength of this shooter's wrists.  A DA grip sends the recoil straight back, whereas the SA's will roll in the hand.  Just be careful not to let the hammer spur hit you in the noggin! :o

Pre-2005 Rugers were made for 44 magnums... new ones are 44 Special.
1-800-ASK-RUGER (fictitious number) is your friend.

I have no love for full house loads, but I have lots of love for mine (all pre-2005) being designed enough to handle them.

Archived