SASS Wire Forum

lace on recoil pad

Lately I acquired a M-86 45-70 with a crescent bull plate and it is beating the tar out of me even with lighter loads.  Where can I find a lace-on recoil pad that works with the crescent butt plate?

I have good luck with Kirkpatrick butt covers.  Insert a 1/2" piece of dense foam if you need more protection.

Good luck, GJ

16 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

Lately I acquired a M-86 45-79 with a crescent bull plate and it is beating the tar out of me even with lighter loads.  Where can I find a lace-on recoil pad that works with the crescent butt plate?

I am up against a similar dilemma , have a High-Wall short rifle with that shoulder killing crescent buttplate. I called Winchester/Browning to see if I could get a shotgun butt style stock for it ; Yes , can get one , just shy of 400.00 ; that was about 8 or 9 months ago.

It is a bit harsh even with light loads , I have not touched off any full-power loads , they were enough in my old Sharps(which I no longer have) and it weighed 12 lbs.

Rex , who should have known better. :P

I used a Kirkpatrick lace on butt cover-- the gun's, not mine -- with a 1/2 inch of Sorbathane in it for the Marlin Cowboy 45-70 I used on Cape Buffalo a couple of years back. The loads were retina-detachers...

Wolf Bane

SASS13357

On 8/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Why would you want lace on your recoil pad?  That would just look silly.

My thoughts exactly!

Wolf Bane , where did you get the sorbothane pad?  Was it raw material or did you cut down an actual recoil pad ?

Curious because I need to do something with my rifle. Can't shoot anything but light loads the way it is now.

I'm thinking of cutting the curve off my stock and putting something like you described on it.

Rex , who has a 78 year old shoulder. :D

Give Gunstock Covers a look. https://gunstockcover.com   I have his covers on all my rifles and shotguns including my Uberti baby rolling block 45-70.  That baby kicks like a mule. 

Knucky

Archived