SASS Wire Forum

So much for the new rules about mask

Trigger Mike

school starts tomorrow for my youngins.   The local health authorities made it clear to the school and the school held meetings and sent videos to make it clear.   

Health officials said if mask are optional and 1 child in a class gets sick then everyone goes home for 2 weeks.  If mask are required and 1 gets sick then only the sick child goes home for 2 weeks. 

Seeing that only 120 have got the virus this year in my county and 650 in the county where the school is i am not overly worried and wear a mask if the business requires it.  

I did, however,  ask the football coach what he was doing.  He said mask when in the weight room and social distancing. 

That was yesterday.   Today I went to pick up my sons from practice.   They were in the weight room.  One was in a office at a conference table with the varsity team going over plays with several others.  Maybe 6 inches apart.  He had to crawl over some to leave for shotgun practice. 

The other one was crowded with the Jr team.  No mask, no distancing.   

I just spoke with a dear old friend whose daughter is an ICU nurse whose unit was converted to a Covid ward.  She's seen a lot of patients die over the past few months; they lost eleven on just one day earlier this week.

She's a firm believer in masks.  Every time I talk with her, she says "Uncle Rod!  WEAR YOUR MASK!!"

I do.

Mike, I do hope you and yours fare well.  

If we fair well, it'll be by God's grace.   My 16 year old works at shoneys and usually works the bar.  Her job is to make sure customers put on gloves before getting food, but her mask and coworkers falls to their chin often and the cooks don't wear one.  A worker got the virus but thus far no one else has.   Those who wear the mask don't do it for long nor do it right.  I was disappointed though that the football team has already broken their own stated rules and the first day of actual school is not until tomorrow.   

Disappointing indeed... but not surprising.  

I was in the supermarket this morning - wearing mask and gloves; eyes behind my eyeglasses.  Walking through the meat department I saw one of the workers stocking the 'burger section.  He was wearing a mask, but as so often seen, below his beak.  Boss walks by and tells him to cover his nose.  He muttered something, and pulled it up.  As soon as the boss had rounded the corner, down it came.

Last Thursday I participated in a Boy Scout troop committee meeting (parents and leaders).  Meeting was outdoors, with at least ten feet or more between participants.  Only two of us wore masks...  We were advised that one of our young Scout's dad had been in the hospital for three weeks, had coded twice, and his outcome looked grim.  I have not heard if he's still alive or not.

Talk about conflicting mask requirement.  Our son that works in an urgent care facility in Minneapolis area told that when the COVID-19 virus was discovered,  the clinic administration came in and took out all N95 mask and instructed them not to wear masks as it would alarm the clients.   Then when masks became mandatory state wide,  they issued thin paper masks that son said were like toilet paper.   Now they are going back to N95 masks. 

When this all started I was ambivalent about the masks but I wore them. When they required them at work I wasn’t too happy, but I wore them. After seeing the numbers in my area and watching groups of buttheads defy mask orders the hearing that people from those groups now have CoVid or their family members have gotten CoVid I have become somewhat of a jerk when people around me or mine don’t wear a mask or wear one improperly. 

I think what people need to see are videos of people suffering from CoVid or people that have had CoVid so they have some idea why masks and following recommended protocols are important. Apparently the Telegraph in Britain has taken to broadcasting videos that CoVid patients have made to let people know what it’s like. 
Here is one of them  

No es bueno, eso es seguro.

Cat Brules

Since it really bothered me,  I texted the coach .  I would have  called but Since it is the first day of school I  thought texting might be better.   Even though I hate the mask, I didn't like what I saw and told him so and suggested ways to increase strength without weight be done as lifting weights with a mask is probably like Chinese water torture once they sweat.  

He texted back mask are required indoors from now on. But he told me that 2 days ago too so we will see.   

My wife and I are both considered high risk due to age, and I also have Type 2 diabetes.  We are taking every precaution we know how, especially wearing masks. When handling food delivered from the grocery store to our front porch, we glove, mask and wipe the outside of the items down with alcohol wipes.  Perishables go in the refrigerator or freezer in the garage for at least three days.  What really ticks me off is the fact that our neighbors in the cul-de-sac DO NOT wear masks!  We don't go out our front door for at least fifteen minutes after they are outside.  Masks are supposed to be mandatory in our suburban county, but you see people not social distancing and not wearing masks!   No consideration for others. :angry:

Stay well, Pards!

I usually do not mind being around folks without a mask , especially outside.   I also figure that anytime you suddenly throw a few hundred people together there will be something to make some sick and since the virus is real, why push it,  especially since the local health officials have stated what will happen if anyone without a mask was around someone who got sick. 

A private school goes out of business if they close.  The public school put off starting by 2 weeks due to a spike from 400 cases to 600 in a couple of weeks. 

Evidently the coach didn't care and lied to me.   My sons said they were told to wear a mask but no one did and nothing happened and when it started raining they went inside and went over plays bunched up and no mask.  

I ordinarily do not care if others wear a mask and often do not myself,  but often when school restarts and kids get around each other after being apart, sickness starts up.  Now we have a virus that children are not usually susceptible to, but the local health officials who dictate schools opening, have made it clear what will happen if one child gets sick and mask were not being worn.  I personally want my 4 children to stay in the school,  not at home and I don't feel like being told to quarantine.   

Obviously the coaches are not bothered by the rules.   I mentioned to the coach to find something else to do than weiggt lifting since a sweaty mask would drown a kid.  

I'm trying to decide if I should let it go and hope for the best or run it up to the head master who is a by the book guy.

I would take it as far as necessary, including the local media if the school was unresponsive. A college coach in a Colorado was telling his player to not reveal any symptoms.  :angry:

What Bob sez.

Letter to the editor of the local fish-wrap can work wonders.

CC the school board.  ;)

I thought of proposing a solution to help.  There are a lot of portable carport builders in town.  Would a portable carport be satisfactory shelter from rain etc for weight equipment or would it rust?  We have high humidity here.  

Most portable carports are around 1k.  I'd be willing to cover the cost if it solves the problem. 

Is there a better solution or a better way to build strength that can be done outside?

I certainly believe we need to be careful, but I think the masks are like the old duck-and-cover advice when preparing for a nuclear holocaust during to the Cold War.  Do, I wear a mask?  Yes, but more out of courtesy; not because I think it is all that effective.

4FF5F785-1F7E-4E74-8CEB-5EA022CDFC37.jpeg

I think mask are a waste but I also don't sit in small rooms with 15 other sweaty people .  That part about being in a small room about the size of a managers office sitting at a small conference table really bothered me.   One of the coaches tested positive over the summer and the team had to stay home 2 weeks.  I'm not interested in that happening again. 

The other group were slightly more spread out in the weight room.  

I still have mixed feelings about the masks, however the other day I was at the local Walmart when a surprise sneeze hit me.  I literally coated the inside of my mask with nasty things.  Had I not been wearing a mask I would have coated everything within 10 feet with nasty things.  So I am a bit more of a believer now.

I got with the coach today and offered to buy dry erase boards he can use in the gym for briefings where they can spread out or a covered outdoor area for weight lifting.   I added based on the rules, with what he is doing now I'd have to quarantine 4 children and the team would have to quarantine.   I added that before I learned the local health officials made those rules , I had offered to pay 1,000 extra tuition for each child to  avoid wearing mask.  In other words I was not a hysterical parent but approaching it from bad things happening to the school.   He claims he will get with the headmaster tonight to get a solution. We will see.  

He added he might can move the weight equipment to the gym, where there is more room to spread out. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Have you considered home schooling your kids?

I home schooled until my wife got cancer a few years back and couldn't handle it,  then last 2 years I home schooled my oldest as she had some problems , one being the dr thought she has lupus.  We still don't know if she does or not after several test.  She is in the 11th and shelters in her room so we felt she needs to get out there before college or she may not make it. 

My 15 year old was nearly kicked out of a Christian school for joking and cutting up too much and the public school is horrible here, so we home schooled him a year and put him in a different Christian school and are using football to motivate him to work.  

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I home schooled until my wife got cancer a few years back and couldn't handle it,  then last 2 years I home schooled my oldest as she had some problems , one being the dr thought she has lupus.  We still don't know if she does or not after several test.  She is in the 11th and shelters in her room so we felt she needs to get out there before college or she may not make it. 

My 15 year old was nearly kicked out of a Christian school for joking and cutting up too much and the public school is horrible here, so we home schooled him a year and put him in a different Christian school and are using football to motivate him to work.  

Looks like you have enough crosses to bear. 

weve had a mask decree here for two weeks - no cure in sight here , i think november will be our savior on this virus but may end up being the escalation of the unrest 

Archived