SASS Wire Forum

Looks like I was wrong

Trigger Mike

on the bear gun post I mentioned that the best way to deal with a bear was to stay home and that they don't attack you in the living room. 

Today I read an article how a black bear in Alaska followed 2 men home, went into the house,  and fought the 2 men while the family ran and hid .  It left through a window that it made bigger.  Ooopps. 

I've had several "bear encounters."  Don't care much for 'em.

When deer and bear seasons ran concurrently, I used to buy a bear tag to carry with me while deer hunting - as insurance.  Sure 'nuff, never saw a bear if I had a bear tag in my pocket.

That suited me just fine.  ^_^

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I've had several "bear encounters."  Don't care much for 'em.

When deer and bear seasons ran concurrently, I used to buy a bear tag to carry with me while deer hunting - as insurance.  Sure 'nuff, never saw a bear if I had a bear tag in my pocket.

That suited me just fine.  ^_^

That’s funny! I never saw deer when I had  a “deer tag”. :unsure:

They must have some kind of repellent in them. :lol:

I had the mother of all bear encounters (to me) years ago.  
We were in a very remote area (Gila Wilderness) and I just could not bring myself to be afraid of these bears, which moved in very close.  (My girlfriend was very frightened.)  They were four exceptionally large (to me) black bears.  They were all different shades, including a blond one(!), but none were black.  I talked to the one big darkest brown one and told him to go away, and he left too.  He came back every day, for brief visits over the next several days, but kept his distance.  One of the others, a lighter brown one, came back twice more, but didn’t stay long.  I had a .30-30 and a .357 Blackhawk handy, but none of them were belligerent at all.  Maybe they thought we were other bears, but I think they’re too smart for that.??

Cat Brules

It's been said the Lord looks out after fools and children, and I qualified under both.
Me Pappy built me a flint rifle that carried a .36 ball.
I was deadly with that rifle.
I was in the woods after a snowfall and struck a black bear track.
Black bear will come out of Pennsylvania and come down state and enter West Virginia, wildcats will take the opposite route: I saw that paw print and allowed as Mama could use a bear skin rug on that bare wooden bedroom floor, and I set out after a bear with a rifle that carried a ball the size of a sweet pea.
Now like I said, the Lord looks out after fools and children:  He sent enough sun light to melt off that trackin' snow and I never did get eyes on that bear.
It was not for many years -- not until I saw a carcass hung up and being disassembled -- that I truly realized just how bad an idea I'd had.

I still have the rifle and I have no claw marks in my hide, and every now and again I will consider on that moment and offer thanks for the Divine Providence that prevented my intention!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

It's been said the Lord looks out after fools and children, and I qualified under both.
Me Pappy built me a flint rifle that carried a .36 ball.
I was deadly with that rifle.
I was in the woods after a snowfall and struck a black bear track.
Black bear will come out of Pennsylvania and come down state and enter West Virginia, wildcats will take the opposite route: I saw that paw print and allowed as Mama could use a bear skin rug on that bare wooden bedroom floor, and I set out after a bear with a rifle that carried a ball the size of a sweet pea.
Now like I said, the Lord looks out after fools and children:  He sent enough sun light to melt off that trackin' snow and I never did get eyes on that bear.
It was not for many years -- not until I saw a carcass hung up and being disassembled -- that I truly realized just how bad an idea I'd had.

I still have the rifle and I have no claw marks in my hide, and every now and again I will consider on that moment and offer thanks for the Divine Providence that prevented my intention!

Well, it worked for Davy Crockett when he was only 3, surely it would have worked for you. 

19 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Today I read an article how a black bear in Alaska followed 2 men home, went into the house,

No, you were correct.   The 2 men WENT OUT, right?  If they hadn't gone out the bear wouldn't have followed them home.  Quod erat demonstrandum.

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No, you were correct.   The 2 men WENT OUT, right?  If they hadn't gone out the bear wouldn't have followed them home.  Quod erat demonstrandum.

To a math major and PhD:

Quod erat demonstrandum. =QED= Quite Easily Done

A Ranching Friend shot a black bear as it was coming into the kitchen through the screen door , she killed it with a .22 rimfire rifle ....

But that doesn't make a .22 a proper bear gun ....

Jabez Cowboy

Some humans don’t follow rules, so why should we expect bears not to trespass.

We had one get into our hunting cabin on Depot Lake.

Pushed on the spring loaded door until the hasp broke and entered for a look around.

The door apparently swung closed on the spring and the bear couldn't exit.

We had a mess of torn up bunks, clawed tentest walls, broken tables and chairs, turned over wood stove and oil stove, stove pipes knocked down, with soot everywhere, propane cook top bitten and chewed etc before  the bear went out through a window.

Oh yeah, and lots of bear poop.

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We had one get into our hunting cabin on Depot Lake.

Pushed on the spring loaded door until the hasp broke and entered for a look around.

The door apparently swung closed on the spring and the bear couldn't exit.

We had a mess of torn up bunks, clawed tentest walls, broken tables and chairs, turned over wood stove and oil stove, stove pipes knocked down, with soot everywhere, propane cook top bitten and chewed etc before  the bear went out through a window.

Oh yeah, and lots of bear poop.

...... shoulda made the porridge "just right" ..............................

Archived