SASS Wire Forum

Call from Microsoft?

Howdy:  I just got a recorded message from someone supposedly from Microsoft advising that my IP address is going to be compromised within 30 some odd hours.  They advised me to make a select "1" to receive a preventive measure.  Sounds a bit fishy to me.  Has anyone else received a similar call?  Thanks for the help.  

Frazee 

Direct from Microsoft's website 

- Yes. This is a scam. This is not a legitimate call from Microsoft. Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) about your computer security or software fixes.

It happened to me a couple of years ago....HANG UP IT IS A SCAM!!!!

Don’t take the bait

If you have the "block" feature on your phone USE IT! Hang up and block that number.

Microsoft, the IRS, the Social Security Administration, Auto Warranty company, someone saying there's an arrest warrant out for me...all call me from time to time. If I'm bored, I'll sometime press whatever number it says to press to speak to a live person and then I mess with them. If they appear to have a middle eastern accent, I'll offend them in ways that it's probably frowned upon by these forums to repeat... 

I got the IRS call from a foreign guy with an accent. He said I would be arrested in 3 days unless I gave him my SS#. I told him where to put his phone!!:lol:

Howdy,

Pards you are passing up an opportunity to really screw with them chumps.

I had a call last week and messed with the guy for a good five minutes until 

he hung up on ME.

To each his own but why wouldnt he want to warranty a 1992 Mazda? Only 330k miles.

Best

CR

On 8/6/2020 at 7:50 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

Those callers are fun to screw with though!;)

Keep them on the phone as long as you can.
Time is money for them.
The more time they waste, the less they are paid.

Got a call claiming my Sociable Security number was compromised and was now locked due to suspicious and possibly criminal activity.

I pressed "1" and when the human voice answered I said "Which employee are you trying to reach?"

Click.

Urgent!  You have an unclaimed medical insurance refund.  Please dial 1 if you want to claim this refund now or 3 if you want to verify.....blah, blah blah!  Course they'd need all kinds of personal data including my SSI number to verify.  I get 2-3 of these a week as numbers that aren't in my contact list or id as spam or go to voicemail.   Actual blocking doesn't help because they just generate another number to call from.

You can tell when a "new" list comes out... my calls go WAAAY up in frequency on New List Day.
Just today, "Apple" called and told me my Mac was in trouble...
Well, golly... considering I don't own any Apple products...

51 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Just today, "Apple" called and told me my Mac was in trouble...
Well, golly... considering I don't own any Apple products...

Those are the ones that are REALLY fun to screw with! :D

Archived