SASS Wire Forum

Will the lawsuit dissolve the NRA?

sassnetguy50

Reading what she says they did is not unlike the politicians. Maybe thats the defense. Your Honor we based our actions on what the House and Senate does? WIll it disolve the nRA...no. Will someone have t pay some fines...maybe.

Ike

PS; Be prepared for phone calls asking for emergency donations as the NRA is being threatened!

Just maybe we should have listened more to what Col North was say'n:excl:

The NY case is a civil suit. Those can do more $$$$ damage than a criminal conviction does.

Also, in a civil case. You only need a majority of jurors to side with the prosecution for judgement. 

This will be a bumpy ride for the NRA.....

OLG 

Until the NRA

changes leadership they are completely suspect. After the last scandal it became quite clear that there was a major problem and until serious changes are made and I’m sure that my donations are not going to line someone’s pockets I’ll keep my wallet closed 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That just galvanizes me to send the NRA more money. Thanks New York Leftist Scum! 

Me too Pat, I'm a life member but I'm sending them a few bucks!

Life member and have donated too, but not another penny til LaPierre and his cronies are gone. They have torn the NRA apart in order to stay in power, rewritten bylaws to stay in power, and spent members donations and NRA money lining their pockets and the pockets of their friends. LaPierre should have at long last made a gentlemans exit with a thanks for his past good work and an apology for his subsequent abuse of his position. But no, he fractured the NRA, alienated many long time supporters and board members, and has sought to consolidate the NRA as his private fiefdom. As a result we have this current mess with NY that wouldn't have happened if reforms had been made and Lapierre had stepped down. 

The NRA's political influence has dropped to almost nil now due to the ongoing civil war. Guess Lapierre won't be satisfied until he's burnt it to the ground so long as he stays in control.

1 hour ago, Chuck Steak said:

So, is the NRA is being accused of doing shifty business with our membership and donation money?

I just don't see how that is possible.

Sounds like how the government operates, they won’t tolerate competition :) 

I'm Life NRA, but only donate to GOA, COC, CRPA and VCDL even though I don't live in VA.

I remember how disillusioned my Navy SIL was after the scandal with Wounded Warriors came out.
He was an ardent supporter of WW.
Term Limits apparently should be a universal concept, not just for politicians.

Maybe the NRA should go away. It would help the Left kick our rights to the curb much faster....because not one of those other groups any of you all mention has the juice the NRA has.

State level organizations do the yoeman's work of organizing and fighting state level laws and that is where most of the action is at. The SAF does the bulk of the work when it comes to the courts. Yes we need a powerful national organization such as the NRA was, but it's been diminished and made ever more ineffective due to LaPierre who has literally torn the organization apart alienating long standing board members, corporate donors, allies, and members. I for one don't think throwing good money after bad is a solution to this, especially when LaPierre and his supporters stood in the way of the reforms and compromises that would have made this current lawsuit moot. The NRA can survive stronger than ever but that has too start with reform and new leadership. I'll not enable the current corrupt leadership through my donations. 

No, the NRA will just move to Texas, or some other welcoming state.

Well, if the comments here are any indication, "they" are evidently succeeding.

The "left" cannot abide the existence of any group with opposing views.  If such exists, they must destroy it.  Attack on multiple fronts.  And one of the most effective attacks is to create internal strife.  Clearly, that one goal they have accomplished.   :(

Just now, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The "left" cannot abide the existence of any group with opposing views.  If such exists, they must destroy it.  Attack on multiple fronts.  And one of the most effective attacks is to create internal strife.  Clearly, that one goal they have accomplished.   :(

With the organization's own help, alas. Most of the 'internal strife' was, indeed, internal.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

With the organization's own help, alas. Most of the 'internal strife' was, indeed, internal.

Yep, the internal strife wasn't created by the left, it was created by corrupt leadership that when confronted instead of stepping aside doubled down and grabbed more power while pushing aside long time supporters.

Yes there is a problem with NRA leadership.  But the much, much bigger problem is that somehow the government at all levels is allowed to weaponize investigations against one side while the other is not held accountable. The IRS under Obama was used against  conservative groups for one example. This should be obvious to everyone by now.

If we need any private  organization to preserve a constitutional right we are already in deep trouble.  The Second Amendment will be preserved by what comes out of my muzzles, not my wallet.

The NRA hasn't been a creditable institution for years.  The scum at the leadership level have skimmed tens of millions of dollars off.  And the NRA hasn't successfully represented gun owners for years.  Others at state and regional level have been carrying the load.  The NRA no longer has any juice and won't be missed.  Wake up.  Smell the coffee.  Quit parroting the same old same old.  Donated money has done nothing but buy LaPierre thousand dollar suits.

I am a Patron Life Member of the NRA.  I have sent them a respectable sum of money through the years since becoming an adult in 1965.  These days I send my money to the Second Amendment Foundation.  Why?

For two years after Mr. Trump was elected, there was a Republican in the White House and Republican majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  The NRA spent more money in 2016-18 on the Republicans than they had since 2002:

1313596430_ScreenShot2020-08-06at7_17_30PM.png.e38b9b82523f08c00b69856e2df9eec9.png

(source:  https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals?id=d000000082 )

What did we get for our money?  Were there any gun laws repealed during that time?  Were there important Supreme Court Cases determined at that time?  Were there any significant lawsuits brought by the NRA during 2016-18?  I cannot name any.   Please educate me if I have overlooked something.

So, I am not throwing good money after bad.  At least the SAF is tax deductible.

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Maybe the NRA should go away. It would help the Left kick our rights to the curb much faster....because not one of those other groups any of you all mention has the juice the NRA has.

Bingo!! Pat's hits it out of the park once more!!;)

This...

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

For two years after Mr. Trump was elected, there was a Republican in the White House and Republican majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  The NRA spent more money in 2016-18 on the Republicans than they had since 2002:

1313596430_ScreenShot2020-08-06at7_17_30PM.png.e38b9b82523f08c00b69856e2df9eec9.png

(source:  https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals?id=d000000082 )

What did we get for our money?  Were there any gun laws repealed during that time?  Were there important Supreme Court Cases determined at that time?  Were there any significant lawsuits brought by the NRA during 2016-18?  I cannot name any.   Please educate me if I have overlooked something.

So, I am not throwing good money after bad.  At least the SAF is tax deductible.

THIS is the crux of the problem.

Suppressor legislation dies on the vine for your money.

National Reciprocity for concealed carry dies on the vine for your money.

Jumping on the bump-stock hype bandwagon - "The NRA believes that devices intended to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations," Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox, the group's top two leaders, said in the statement. - is what you got for your money.

Pat Riot speaks a chilling truth when he posits that none of these other up and coming gun rights organizations have the juice that the NRA has built up over the years.  

Sadly, that juice has taken the form of "protection money" from the local street thugs.

The NRA has abused the public trust that their members have given them.  I still willingly pay my "protection money" for two reasons - there are a few places I go that require proof of NRA membership before they teach you the secret handshake.

...and because, just like the old man that owns the local 'Mom and Pop' store - the membership fee that I pay for "protection money" is worth the value of knowing a few secret handshakes.

Everytime I renew, it takes a day or so to get the sour taste out of my mouth.

Its a scary place when you realize that the only folks with enough clout inside the beltway to support your interests are nothing more than all the other folks with clout inside the beltway.

A scary place indeed.

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

What did we get for our money?  Were there any gun laws repealed during that time?  Were there important Supreme Court Cases determined at that time?

To be fair - thanks to Justice Roberts unpredictability, the Supreme Court wisely decided not to take on new 2nd Amendment cases. We need one more solid conservative appointee on SCOTUS

While it may be true that none of the other organizations have the juice the NRA has (had), it is only because people keep donating to the Wayne LaPierre Rolex fund. Send those NRA donations and membership money to other orgs and see them become more relevant.  (Or maybe people think it's just another 2 party system)

The NRA needs an active board that actually accepts its fiduciary responsibilities.  It needs to be reconstituted from people who understand their responsibilities and take action when their is a need for correction.  This has to start with a much smaller board who are not beholden to anyone in leadership at the NRA.

This is our money they are using as their personal piggy bank.  Think about this:  the NRA spent $30 million helping elect Trump, the four accused of stealing our money supposedly got $63 million from the coffers.  That’s more than twice what they spent electing the president.  Makes no sense.

Wow. Movin', plumbin' and roofin' will sort out your friends in a hurry.

No, I've not been happy with the NRA's stance on some issues. But they have been stalwart on others and one of the reasons the majority of states have shall-issue carry license IS the NRA. Like it or not. Among other laws I'm glad we have. It was because of the NRA.

Last year when Colonel Ollie quit, got sacked, gone, whatever was the first I'd heard of "financial problems". Knowing the details probably weren't details I waited to hear what the real story was. Glad I wasn't holding my breath because I'm still waiting. Whatever the real story is, I highly suspect we don't know it. Yet.

So if any of you monday mornin' quarterbackers got the straight dope from the horses front end, I'm all ears. I'm sorry, but "What I read on the internet"....."What the news said"......."What the NY AG said" doesn't count. I've yet to see a reasonable explanation from the NRA itself for what "I" suspect, but I've seen nothing that amounts to anything like the truth. Lots of other crap though. Soooo... until I receive an explanation from the NRA, a full accounting, not one more red cent. Because I'm just as skeptical and peeved about this as you guys are.

Archived