SASS Wire Forum

TO question

Wyatt

I assume the shooter is wearing a mask.   I would pass the timer off someone who was willing to run it with a mask on. 

I don't want the distraction of a mask while I'm shooting or running the timer. 

Sure, wouldn't want to wear it all day but if there is a shooter that needs me to wear a mask I am willing to work with them.

If I had one with me.

But I leave it in the truck at a match.

I am not going to walk all the way back to the truck to get it.

So looks like I would be passing off the timer. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No, I'd be a jerk and tell the shooter to pound sand.

<_<

Yeah, they are making the accusation that the TO is infectious.:mellow: Better clean that timer before handing it off. 

We just finished up Hell On Wheels a month ago. We supplied hand washing stations at every stage and other locations. There were gloves for those that handled the timers and score sheets. At the safety meeting I mentioned the hand washing stations and gloves. Told folks they could wear masks, and to distance. Folks were shaking hands and hugging one another.

People did not use the gloves provided, they did not use the hand wash stations frequently, and only one person out of 130 shooter was wearing a mask.

We separated the tables for the Saturday night dinner. People moved the tables closer together. 

To the best of my knowledge no one got sick from attending the match. We had people from all over the country. We live in a very dry climate, less than 20% humidity, maybe that's why we don't have the high numbers like other areas. People were given the option to use precautions and did not take advantage of those options.

I reckon so

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

We just finished up Hell On Wheels a month ago. We supplied hand washing stations at every stage and other locations. There were gloves for those that handled the timers and score sheets. At the safety meeting I mentioned the hand washing stations and gloves. Told folks they could wear masks, and to distance. Folks were shaking hands and hugging one another.

People did not use the gloves provided, they did not use the hand wash stations frequently, and only one person out of 130 shooter was wearing a mask.

We separated the tables for the Saturday night dinner. People moved the tables closer together. 

To the best of my knowledge no one got sick from attending the match. We had people from all over the country. We live in a very dry climate, less than 20% humidity, maybe that's why we don't have the high numbers like other areas. People were given the option to use precautions and did not take advantage of those options.

And it was a GREAT match!!!!

;)

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

How was the attendance versus past years?

4 hours ago, Wyatt said:

If a shooter requested you as the TO to wear a mask during the course of fire would you accommodated the shooter

Certainly, especially if they were shooting that heathen smokeless powder!

BP Guns Matter!  :P

24 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

How was the attendance versus past years?

We limited numbers, 13 to a posse, in order to separate shooters and keep them working. Last year we were 206, previous year 240.

The boss (Wife)set a date for applications to be in the mailbox. and some folks waited too long. 

Didn't really advertise much, wanted to keep the match under the radar. State limited outdoor functions to 250 people and we may have had that many on site with vendors and spectators. 130 is a good sized match for 2020. Typically we get shooters coming up from EOT, that didn't happen. Folks were thrilled to get out and do some shooting.

No problem.  Glad he/she is shooting!!!

When I am running timer  I pull my bandanna up over my nose/mouth.  When the shooter is done, tug it down to announce time/call next shooter as I am not "close" to anyone.  

I don't know for sure that I may or may not be positive, and with the age of a lot of our shooters being in the higher risk range, it's a mild inconvenience to keep these people who I like, even love, around to shoot in the coming years.  

I encourage shooters to NOT wear a mask when on the shooting line, I want them to see where the guns are pointed as I feel an errant Pew Pill is way more dangerous than this virus.   This means I wear one to help, maybe, protect them even a little bit.  Do I forget sometimes to pull it up when I call the shooter up, yes, no one is perfect, but I have not had a shooter ask me to pull it up either.  

I have not found however that it helps at all with Black Powder shooters:unsure:

Would pass to another T.O......

Bugler

2 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

If the shooter is wearing a mask, there is no reason for the TO to be wearing one. If the shooter is not wearing a mask, the question is moot.

The only reason I see for a TO to be wearing a mask is because they want to, or a pard asks them to.  I could see a shooter wearing a mask when not shooting, taking it off to shoot, but asking the TO to wear a mask.  I would have no problem with that.  Fogged up eye protection is a pain, and could be a safety hazard.

I wear a bandana all the time and I pull it up over my face, if that’s not good enough for the shooter than I’d pass the timer to someone else.

One of the Major problems in our game is loss of hearing. Whether through age, ear plugs or whatever. Compound that with having to speak through a muffle, and whether you think it or not, a mask is a muffle for us harder hearing folk.

In my mind, if you're that concerned, don't go to the shoot. If you're that sick, don't go to the shoot.

Ironic that the "cowboys" that don't want to help out another shooter that is medically challenged are also the same ones who will offer "helpful" advice on how to encourage people to get into CAS/SASS. They won't even try to help the ones who are already here.

Over the course of this "pandemic", I sure have learned ALOT about out "cowboy" community and the mythical "cowboy way". What a crock of shit.

I am often the LONE mask wearer at local matches... I wear one the whole

match when NOT shooting... brass picking, timing, spotting, whatever.  I got a bit of ridicule when I showed up with a mask ... (yes, Cypress Sun has a very valid point, though I’m not yet ready to say the Cowboy Way is a crock of shit, it’s on life support with some pards..).  I love this game. I love that it’s my business, too!  I also love my husband (extra risk factors) and my neighbors, known and unknown, enough that I’m willing to endure the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask to stop the spread of this virus. 

Big hugs. :ph34r:

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

One of the Major problems in our game is loss of hearing. Whether through age, ear plugs or whatever. Compound that with having to speak through a muffle, and whether you think it or not, a mask is a muffle for us harder hearing folk.

In my mind, if you're that concerned, don't go to the shoot. If you're that sick, don't go to the shoot.

I wear a mask because I do not want to GET sick because so many of my pards don’t socially distance or wear masks.. And I don’t know where they have been or with whom they have been in contact. if I’m TO, I’m wearing a mask. If I need to speak to the shooter, I can lower the mask (standing behind shooter and give instructions or whatever) or place my hand on the shooters back/shoulder if I need to stop them.  I’ve never been told by folks that I speak too softly! :)  I timed half the posse for 6 stages last month with a mask and there were no issues. In fact, I think that I was a better TO wearing the mask because I was paying extra attention.  

Big hugs!

Scarlett

I wear a mask (when I remember) when TOing because I believe that a lot of the lead in my blood came from breathing while running the timer. I rarely breathe while shooting so not an issue.

The pandemic is just an extra bonus for mask wearers and other assorted Outlaws.

Waimea

2 hours ago, Waimea said:

I wear a mask (when I remember) when TOing because I believe that a lot of the lead in my blood came from breathing while running the timer. I rarely breathe while shooting so not an issue.

The pandemic is just an extra bonus for mask wearers and other assorted Outlaws.

Waimea

A cloth or paper mask does little or nothing when trying to filter lead fumes. You need a respirator for that!

Archived