SASS Wire Forum

17 hmr ruger single six value

Trigger Mike

my local store has a new ruger single six revolver with a 6 inch or so barrel in 17 that has been dropped so it has a couple of scratches deep enough to show bare metal on one side under the barrel.   

They marked.it down to 469.  

Is the single six in 17 hmr a good set up? 

The 17 HMR is a great cartridge, and one of the few rifles I regret selling. 

Reports about it In a revolver were mixed. The biggest complaint I heard was that the bottle neck case kept jamming against the frame and making the cylinder hard to turn. But then, I never shot one myself. 

The big selling point on the 17 HMR is it's extreme accuracy out to 200+ yards.  It's not really effective except against small critters like squirrels.  However the cost of the ammo is hovering around $13-$15 per 50 rounds.  I don't think you would be able to take advantage of the accuracy with a pistol.  Due to the cost of ammo and limited usefulness, it's a poor choice for a pistol round.

I've got a CZ 452 in 17 HMR with an 6x18 Nikon scope on it.  That thing shoots like a laser.

it’s a novelty piece that you’ll probably tire of quickly.

Cat Brules

17 hmr was one of the few calibers left to buy at the stores in my area.

Besides looking like a fun cartridge, could it be a good emergency backup when ammo is in short supply?

Perhaps that will give you another reason for you to buy a new toy, not that you need another reason.

Archived