SASS Wire Forum

What would you do...?

Driving down a wide, two-lane country road.  You come around a curve in the road and see two Highway Patrolmen (or Sheriff's deputies) ahead.  Their patrol cars are at the side of the road, and the two officers are walking up to a third car with their guns drawn.

Do you:

a) Hang a quick U-turn and head back the way from which you came,

b) Stop and watch, 

c) Cruise on past, turkey-necking as you do, or 

d) something else?

:ph34r:

A.  Good intentions on my part could be misinterpreted 

I don't see a good choice.

It is my understanding that the police do not like to see people turn around and go the other way. This pretty much tells cops that you have been bad somehow, which is why you turned and ran when you saw the cop. This would tend to take the cop's mind off of what he's doing, which is pointing a gun at somebody. You don't need to be thinking of something else when you're doing that.

But stopping and just sitting there with also have the cop wondering what you're doing, which again breaks his concentration.

Continuing on and driving past what appears to be a gunfight about happen seems like a really stupid plan.

I believe I would pick choice D - not be there at all.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't see a good choice.

It is my understanding that the police do not like to see people turn around and go the other way. This pretty much tells cops that you have been bad somehow, which is why you turned and ran when you saw the cop. This would tend to take the cop's mind off of what he's doing, which is pointing a gun at somebody. You don't need to be thinking of something else when you're doing that.

But stopping and just sitting there with also have the cop wondering what you're doing, which again breaks his concentration.

Continuing on and driving past what appears to be a gunfight about happen seems like a really stupid plan.

I believe I would pick choice D - not be there at all.

In This situation they are not concentrating on you. Leave.

Leave. Unless you are an experienced police officer there is probably nothing you can do. You have no body armor, no radio and no training. In this case, leave. Get out of range.

One of my Officer was involved in a gunfight on a bust roadway as he and the suspect exchanged shots, a car drove past. A round hit a tire and flattened it the guy drove about a quarter mile and pulled over. It could have been worse.

I encountered this years ago. I proceeded giving the officers plenty of room.

Why?

a) Hang a quick U-turn and head back the way from which you came, That is a  distraction to he officers.

b) Stop and watch, - That is a distraction to the officers

c) Cruise on past, turkey-necking as you do, or  - Go by with a wide berth, no turkey necking. None of my busienss.

d) something else? - I am not now nor ever have been a police officer. If an officer  was down and I could help, I would, but if they are safe my help is not needed.

Get out my do-rag and "BLACK LIVES MATTER" sign and start protesting.

Here in the PRK, I would immediately assume this is SWAT making a felony arrest for not wearing a mask while driving.
I would opt for "A" and beat a hasty retreat from the scene.

When the same is in your driveway, it is different.
I came out early one morning to find SWAT at my side gate, and an officer jumping over the gate coming out of my yard.

I looked at him and said, "Good morning.  Do you want me to open the gate?"
He said NP, he was good... there were 5 cops all in vests, shotguns and ARs and a K9.
The neighbor on that side was a heroin dealer (as I was told) and the cops were there for a major arrest.
So, I emptied the trash and went back into my house for another cup of coffee.

This is fairly common on my street, even though we are not in a particularly rough neighborhood.

Move to give them as much clearance as possible and keep driving.   They don't need any distractions.  Been there a couple of times.   Felt twitchy between the shoulders until I was a few hundred yards past. 

Talked with a CHP who comes in now and then.   He confirmed that is what he prefers people to do. 

Archived