SASS Wire Forum

My New Old Armies

Yul Lose

I met Snake Oil George at EOT last year when he came to shoot the match and pick up the gun cart that I built for his grandson Creek County Kid. CCK bought one raffle ticket for the LOCAS Gun Cart raffle in 2018 and won so we agreed that I’d bring his cart to EOT in 2019 and he could pick it up. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to attend but his grand father, Snake Oil George and his wife were there and they picked up the cart. I’d talked with him over 5 or 6 days at EOT and he told me that if I ever wanted octagon barrels on a set of pistols he was the guy to do it. I’ve admired his work for many years and I decided in June to see if he’d do the barrels and some bead blasting on one of my favorite pairs of Old Armies.

Well today I got them back and they are absolutely fantastic. The UPS guy is a gun guy too and I opened them up and he was amazed at how nice the barrels and bead blasting look. Saturday at Cajon they’re going to get broke in.

1D5BA338-340E-419F-8735-E82FD45160A1.jpeg

84B6B92F-490E-4DDA-94F3-F75E890AA864.jpeg

A235857C-DBB6-45DC-A539-43EFBD8C97F8.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

SATIS and SURSUM?  Is that a fancy way of saying right and left? 

Satisfy and Lift?  Satis is a goddess too but since I didn't see one called sursum that's probably not it. 

Those were engraved that way when I bought them a few years ago here on the Wire. I’ve never got a definitive translation on what it means but a few on here thought maybe it could be law enforcement related. I like it and asked SOG to preserve it when he did the bead blasting.

Excellent....but I would not expect anything but from SOG.

43 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Those were engraved that way when I bought them a few years ago here on the Wire. I’ve never got a definitive translation on what it means but a few on here thought maybe it could be law enforcement related. I like it and asked SOG to preserve it when he did the bead blasting.

I believe it could be translated in a few different ways....

But I THINK it means " More than Enough" And they appear to be That For Sure !!!!

Very Nice!

Those are a pair of beauties!

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Nice Yul..Do you get to keep the original barrels ?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Cemetery said:

Yul, what's the scoop on the base pins? Where from? Inquiring mind would like to know.

Those are older Belt Mountain base pins.

19 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Do those octagons come in three inch????

Texas Lizard

33 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Do those octagons come in three inch????

Texas Lizard

He will build them any length that you want. 

42 minutes ago, Texas Red said:

Yul,

Great Looking Pistolas.....SOG is the Best,,,

TR

After seeing the set that he did for you there was no turning back.

15 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Sounds like I need to contact info this cowboy....

Texas Lizard

PM on its way.

20 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Sounds like I need to contact info this cowboy....

Texas Lizard

Clean out your mailbox.

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Those are older Belt Mountain base pins.

Belt Mountain have some great products. Sassy and I have BM pins on four pairs of Rugers.

Did SOG also lower hammer spurs? Although I do not know to much about OAs, they appear to be lowered. SOG cut and lowered the SBH hammers on a pair of NMV for me when he SS'ed them. 

Fine work for sure.

29 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Belt Mountain have some great products. Sassy and I have BM pins on four pairs of Rugers.

Did SOG also lower hammer spurs? Although I do not know to much about OAs, they appear to be lowered. SOG cut and lowered the SBH hammers on a pair of NMV for me when he SS'ed them. 

Fine work for sure.

Boomstick Jay did the actions and hammers.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Boomstick Jay did the actions and hammers.

I was thinking  he had done work on a pair of your Armies so thought I would ask.  BJ does fine work also.  We are fortunate in this area to have the talented gunsmiths available such as Boomstick, Snake Oil, and Lefty.....and of course we miss Goatneck.  There are a couple of more individuals who do some outstanding work also, but more as personal hobby...and that sure leaves me out.  I know the insides of my FA revolvers pretty good but sure glad to have these others to turn to when it comes to 73s, NMV, and SKBs.   

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

i like that finish , will you let it age or try to maintain that 'new look' ? 

Let it age, I believe.

NOT trying to stir up trouble........

But I assume that removing the loading lever and ram from an Old Army is SASS Legal.... Rite?

23 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

But I assume that removing the loading lever and ram from an Old Army is SASS Legal.... Rite?

Yep.

Super !!! I thought it was, Thanks!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Page 44 and 45 of the most recent Shooters Handbook addresses the issue pretty well. Do you like them?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Page 44 and 45 of the most recent Shooters Handbook addresses the issue pretty well. Do you like them?

Oh Yea, I Like em a Lot!!!

You're giving me some Ideas........ which is not necessarily a Good Thing :rolleyes:

Archived