SASS Wire Forum

Problem with John Wayne??!!

Tom Bullweed

The process for rule changes takes a ground swell, and it takes time.  If clubs feel a rule should be changed, added or deleted your TG should first float the idea among your club members, then on the TG wire for discussion.  If the idea has merit, the issue can be made a TG Meeting Agenda item for further consideration and discussion.

SOURCE

17 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

So with all the other changes/amendments to the SASS handbook over the last 25 years, we can’t “amend” B-Western category to accept additional characters like John Wayne in other movies?  All sorts of modifications have been accepted for equipment, why not B-Western clothes?  Each of the categories were created for various groups who wanted a specific set of qualifications. In the environment of dwindling shooters and membership, why do we turn someone away that may represent a growing segment that may add not detract from the participation. 

So, for all that want rule changes to the B-Western, this is not the place to do it.  Talk to your TG

Yes I said that but isn’t the Wire the place where people can discuss the change?  To see if there are enough people interested to warrant bringing it up to his local TG?  I see it as a way to drum up support or to determine it is a waste of time. That was all that was supposed to be going on on this thread, one person voicing a question why certain clothing wasn’t allowed and then suggesting that he would like to be able to wear clothing he thought appropriate. 
you are absolutely correct that no change to rules can happen on the Wire, changing opinions happen all the time. 

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Yes I said that but isn’t the Wire the place where people can discuss the change?  To see if there are enough people interested to warrant bringing it up to his local TG?  I see it as a way to drum up support or to determine it is a waste of time. That was all that was supposed to be going on on this thread, one person voicing a question why certain clothing wasn’t allowed and then suggesting that he would like to be able to wear clothing he thought appropriate. 
you are absolutely correct that no change to rules can happen on the Wire, changing opinions happen all the time. 

You are missing the whole point of the ENTIRE paragraph.

Costumes that depict leading role characters in B-Western movies are allowed as long as the costume is complete with all accessories, but the costuming must still adhere to the boot, leather, spur, hat, and firearm requirements. John Wayne, spaghetti western, and townsperson characters are not acceptable.

John Wayne is specifically ruled out because his costuming does not come close to B-Western requirements of Flashy and fancy.

On the other hand I have seen shooters dressed as the Lone Ranger that were allowed to shoot in the category even though the shirt did not conform to the B-Western rules because the shirt is not listed in the "must adhere" list.

<private thought> If you can't tell a B-Western Shooter's category from 100 feet away..... They ain't pretty enough!

I am not missing the point!  I am defending someone asking why can’t we...?  Guys all I am saying is stop stopping the conversation!  I have seen a lot of people leave the wire because they were tired of being treated badly for asking questions and suggesting change unless they were a member of the “California” click!  I got it. Someone doesn’t like the way John Wayne dresses and if you dress like him you can’t be in B Western category!  I don’t care what category I am in and that’s because I don’t compete!  I get off dressing similar to the Duke, dress like him weR his style leather shoot his pistol on the strong right hand and a Colt Buntline in cross draw and yes I shoot a JW 92 Commemorative with a big loop and couldn’t care less if I hit the target or not because I am walking around heeled dressed like my hero and shooting cowboy. 
So let people discuss changes, let’s be nice when we comment why it may not be such a good idea but encourage them to help grow the game, like we all did back when. 

20 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

There's a difference between the "B" Western film genre and the SASS B-Western CATEGORY.

This statement is at the very heart of why the category was established in the first place:

"All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy.."

SHB p.9

I would wager that the majority of B-Western competitors would vote for NO CHANGE in that regard. 

Thank you Pale Wolf!!!  There is no need to change the rules for B-Western.  

If someone wants to dress like John Wayne, no one is stopping them.  There are plenty of categories that they can shoot dressed as the Duke.  

Never meant for SASS to change this rule.  Please do not change.

I have enjoyed and learned from this discussion.  The difference in a BW movie and SASS BW is something that I understand much better.

My post was more about understanding just how wide this BW lariat was.  Duke Wayne seemed, to me, to meet BW dress requirements in the 1930s.  

Thanks to all.

12 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Never meant for SASS to change this rule.  Please do not change.

I have enjoyed and learned from this discussion.  The difference in a BW movie and SASS BW is something that I understand much better.

My post was more about understanding just how wide this BW lariat was.  Duke Wayne seemed, to me, to meet BW dress requirements in the 1930s.  

Thanks to all.

Tom Bullweed, 

I'm lookin' forward to seeing you in all your "Cowboy Bling" finery!   I can't wear spurs without half killin' myself and doing severe faceplants.

I don't know how Lash Toru and Lorenzo Kid do it... Not to mention the $ that goes into those great outfits and fancy boots.  But they do look good!

Archived