SASS Wire Forum

YMCA and "The Well"

Patagonia Pete

If you were 8-12 (or so) years old at the end of the 1950s then you might have spent some time at a YMCA.

There you could learn to shoot (a gun or an arrow) … play ping pong; chess … swim and all kinds of  things.

If it was in the vicinity of a military base then you probably ran into some strange kids from strange places … a great experience (cultural exchange at a kids level is w/o comparison).

One of the things I remember most of all was the obvious effort put into moral indoctrination.

I'm not sure we were "supposed" to be aware of this sort of thing at our age but … when we were hauled into an occasional movie (en mass) we figured we were supposed to be getting some type of message or learning something important.

There was always a "what did you think of that" or "what do you think about what happened" question and answer session afterwards.

One film I remember very distinctly was "The Oxbow Incident" … the cowboy lynch mob story … 

… AND … another I had actually forgotten about until I stumbled on it again today … "The Well" … racial tension in a small town .. fueled by misinformation.

When I found it on youtube I was surprised by some of the comments .. A lot of people were saying how  odd it was to discover something like this … with the things that are going on today.

I thought it was odd too … IMHO it drags on a little too long at some points but the header says it was a two time Oscar nominee (had no idea).

If you are interested here is a link ..

Archived