SASS Wire Forum

Looking for info on an inherited Ruger Vaquero

TimWilliams

Hello folks.  I am an avid shooter but not a SASS guy.  I inherited a Ruger Vaquero that has had some custom work done to it along the lines of your sport (fanning hammer, Al barrel, rear sights machined off, etc.).  Other than the inscription on the barrel about only shooting wax bullets or blanks, the only other non factory markings I can find on it are the letters BG engraved on the frame under the left grip panel.  My limited internet skills have turned up the name Bob Graham as a possibility for the gunsmith who did the work.  I haven't been able to find anything to indicate that Mr. Graham is still active in the field.  I'm just looking for more information on this gun, as the SASS world isn't something I am very familiar with.

I appreciate any input.

IMG_5005.jpeg

Not saying that someone here can't help, but those mods are not for cowboy shooting. They are for fast draw. You might have better luck looking on those types of sites.

Besides, many SASS Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS) may not often know one another by our real names, but instead by our aliases.  Those aliases then become our names, and most become comfortable in those boots.

Cast Brules

55 minutes ago, TimWilliams said:

IMG_5005.jpeg

Howdy, 

Yep, that's a Bob Graham gun.  http://www.jamesguns.com/gunwork.html  It is specific to a discipline called "World Fast Draw" http://www.fastdraw.org/index.html   Which uses Fanning or Thumbing.  (He's been in business near 50 years and is not doing the fanning conversions any more.)  That tall hammer is strictly for fanning.

WDFA is different than Cowboy Fast Draw (CFDA), that uses a conventional revolver, or SASS which is not a fast draw competition, but a competition using rifle, pistols (2), and shotgun, with movement.

837868873_FastDraw.thumb.jpg.b9ca5d9e32f804873dfe9cb3065cdeb1.jpg

World Fast Draw uses a fanning hammer, extensive modifications, and a lightweight, non-shooting barrel, these are quite costly to build.  (I say non-shooting as in only shoot wax).  Cowboy Fast Draw, the guns can be used with real ammo when not shooting wax in a fast draw match.   Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS), uses guns without external modifications and real ammunition. 

52 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Besides, many SASS Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS) may not often know one another by our real names, but instead by our aliases.  Those aliases then become our names, and most become comfortable in those boots.

Cast Brules

I'm even Slim at home.

Archived