SASS Wire Forum

Safe and Sane Fireworks

I won’t repeat the expletive I said out loud when I saw that. I don’t know what to say.

8 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I won’t repeat the expletive I said out loud when I saw that. I don’t know what to say.

Nor will I.  That was a very large ka-boom!  :blink:

My first thought was Illudium PU-36 space modulator!!  :huh:

I just saw a report on CBS news that said it MIGHT have been some explosives that had been stored there for several years.

Residue from one of their wars?

If so, that was mighty careless on someone's part.

Duffield

59 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I just saw a report on CBS news that said it MIGHT have been some explosives that had been stored there for several years.

Residue from one of their wars?

If so, that was mighty careless on someone's part.

Duffield

And stored next to ANFO. What could go wrong?

10 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That’s a big ol’ Whiskey Tango Right there. 

And a HUGE Charlie Foxtrot.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/huge-explosion-rocks-lebanon-capital-beirut-live-updates-200804163620414.html

Lebanese authorities have said at least 78 people have been killed and some 3,700 wounded in a massive explosion at the port in the capital, Beirut.

The explosion on Tuesday sent shockwaves across the city, causing widespread damage even on the outskirts of the capital. 

The cause of the explosion was not immediately clear. Officials linked the explosion to some 2,700 tonnes of confiscated ammonium nitrate that were being stored in a warehouse at the port for six years.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun assembled the country's High Defence Council following the explosion.

Heads will roll.......   :ph34r:

Cat Brules 

50 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Heads will roll.......   :ph34r:

Cat Brules 

I think some flew....  :huh:

“Mustafa, we have this old unstable Ammonium Nitrate, over 8,000,000 pounds of it. Where can we put it?”

”Well, it’s an explosive so let’s store in the fireworks warehouse down near the docks. It’ll be safe there.”

”You mean with all the cheaply made Chinese fireworks we got a deal on?”

”Yes, and while we’re at it. Maybe we can get some guys to put up those ‘No Smoking’ signs.”

:(

What’s really sad is I work with a guy from Lebanon. He was showing me this video yesterday. We had concluded there were fireworks involved. He actually said “You watch. They will find out someone was smoking where they shouldn’t have or they will find out there was an unauthorized smoking area that everyone knew about but no one did anything about. More than likely they had some (crap) stored there that they shouldn’t have stored there. Middle-easterners are nuts that way.”

I don't know the exact cause of that one, but years ago (1947), a French cargo ship was tied up at the dock in Texas City, TX.  Something (maybe a small fire caused by a discarded cigarette) caused tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer to explode, taking out most of the adjacent city with 600-700 deaths! :o  Given the location and problems between Israel and Lebanon, it was "natural" to assume some sort of sabotage was the cause.  However, this just looks like an accident caused by stupidity in placing the ammonium nitrate near a fireworks building.  Explosions of fireworks aren't that unusual. There was a pretty big one in China someplace a few years ago.  So, a word to the wise... store your ammonium nitrate fertilizer somewhere else!

Howdy,

I was filling my gas tank and a worker came out of the gas station.

She stood right inbetween the gas pumps and the stack of propane tanks

and lit up a smoke.  I could see at least three no smoking signs.

I left.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Seems to me that a lot of unreasonable things happen in the Middle East.

But that could be just me. 

The wedding videos always give me a good giggle.

Archived