Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rootin Tootin

Federal small pistol primers

Recommended Posts

Anybody know why you can't find Federal small pistol primers or when they will be available again?. Cant find'em.......................... RT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a backorder yesterday. Cost me $34.21 per thousand.  Said that they would have more in a few weeks.

 

Patience pays off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I received a backorder yesterday. Cost me $34.21 per thousand.  Said that they would have more in a few weeks.

 

Patience pays off.

Where did you order them from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

Where did you order them from?

 

Midsouth Shooters Supply.  They’ll put you on a backorder list if they don’t have what you need. They fill your order when the item arrives. I was next in line when they filled the orders outstanding.  Took a day or two past two weeks.

 

They are close by for me and I can pick up my order and save any shipping or hazmat fees.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

 

Midsouth Shooters Supply.  They’ll put you on a backorder list if they don’t have what you need.

 

 

Currently not taking backorders ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Anybody know why you can't find Federal small pistol primers or when they will be available again?. Cant find'em.......................... RT

 I haven't seen ANY small pistol primers available from any dealer... regardless of brand. I've been wanting to try some of the Fiocci brand small pistol primers but could not even find any of them. Fortunately I'm not in any trouble for primers yet, especially considering how little shooting is going on now days, but when they become available again I will build up stock. 

 

Snakebite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked 5-6 places today..  zilch , nada no back order etc. 

 

I’ve got enough to finish out the Cowboy season and that’s it! 
Yikes!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are infected with Covid-19...............in quarantine..........small attempt at humor.

 

Bugler

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bugler said:

They are infected with Covid-19...............in quarantine..........small attempt at humor.

 

Bugler

Good thing we weren't talking about large primers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have plenty of Federal Primers but the last time there was a shortage I called Federal and asked to what stores did they recently make deliveries. They gave me the info, I called and was able to order what I wanted.

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep enough primers for several years of shooting. Sure, some peoples finances don't allow them to purchase bulk quantities of powder, primers, etc.

Primers were available up until April and they were actually dropping in price. Do you all wait until you're out of toilet paper before looking for more, or wait until you run out of gas. We've been through these shortages numerous times, plan ahead. If you tune your guns for only the softest of primers and they won't work that is on you. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assassin, your assumptions are not valid and comments not worth a response....

 

.Thank you to all the non judgmental pard's that responded with help .....I'm good to go now.........Regards to all .....RT

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Assassin, your assumptions are not valid and comments not worth a response....

 

.Thank you to all the non judgmental pard's that responded with help .....I'm good to go now.........Regards to all .....RT

I think his comments ARE valid. This is not the first time this has happened. You must stay way ahead on reloading supplies to not suffer the angst you are going through RT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Assassin, your assumptions are not valid and comments not worth a response....

 

.Thank you to all the non judgmental pard's that responded with help .....I'm good to go now.........Regards to all .....RT

Why attack a reasonable position?

 

It is ABSOLUTELY correct to ask why folks don't prepare themselves for shortages on items that they regularly consume? And then they complain about not being able to get these regularly consumed items when there is the inevitable shortage.

 

So don't get mad at Assassin, be mad at yourself for letting this situation occur.

 

Phantom

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I get below 2 years worth of primers and powder, then I start looking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

When I get below 2 years worth of primers and powder, then I start looking.

Smart man!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Smart man!

 

 

 

I must be Super Intelligent..... :lol:

 

For all those who don't think its important to keep a 'healthy' supply of reloading and shooting supplies,

your next decision will be to stop shooting.    This outcome will only help me move higher in the rankings..... ;)

 

..........Widder

 

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last primers I bought,  I told Sawmill Mary that Grafs and Sons had them sale.  She said, "You better get some.", before I could add,  "But we have enough to last us a couple of years".  I did. 

 

The only twist to the plan was that she switched to 44WCF from her 38s.  So we've almost doubled our use of large pistol ptimers and cut way back on need for small.  

 

We still have a couple of years of stock on hand.

 

I got out my Marlin 1894c to use some small primers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Assassin, your assumptions are not valid and comments not worth a response....

 

.Thank you to all the non judgmental pard's that responded with help .....I'm good to go now.........Regards to all .....RT

 

It's called having a plan.

Try it instead of throwing insults......

Carry on,

OLG 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets clear the air here. My response to Assassin was based on his assumption that I was out of primers and this was an urgent request.  It was a honest question regarding who or where I could buy more.  Read the post. No mention of urgent need or any need at all.  I have 6 months worth of primers on hand and was looking to purchase more for down the road.  I agree with his comments BUT I didn't need a lecture based on his assumption I had an urgent need.

 

This is another example of the over reach buy well meaning folks that believe they need to judge instead of just providing help........To those that provided help Thank you again for just the help and sparing the lecture........... Regards...............RT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Lets clear the air here. My response to Assassin was based on his assumption that I was out of primers and this was an urgent request.  It was a honest question regarding who or where I could buy more.  Read the post. No mention of urgent need or any need at all.  I have 6 months worth of primers on hand and was looking to purchase more for down the road.  I agree with his comments BUT I didn't need a lecture based on his assumption I had an urgent need.

 

This is another example of the over reach buy well meaning folks that believe they need to judge instead of just providing help........To those that provided help Thank you again for just the help and sparing the lecture........... Regards...............RT

 

 

Oh you don't know what a true "Lecture" really is.

 

:lol:

 

But the written "Tone" of your OP sounds a bit urgent...so...

 

And besides, he wasn't specifically directing his comments to you...where did he reference you or "OP"?

 

Hmmmm...perhaps...your assumption?

 

Cheers!

Phantom

Edited by Phantom, SASS #54973
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very well.....point taken.  Just getting tired and edgy of being social distanced.  RT

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a SASS member in the 100,000, it would be smart of me not to join this string of comments and observations. Please notice I did not split my infinitive; however, I am fascinated by how quickly Small Pistol Primers did leave the shelves. It clearly shows having a reasonable stock of reloading components for one year or two years of shooting is a wise thing. Having said that I am down to one year's worth of powder and primers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The small primer shortage is just part the current ammunition and firearms shortage.  The last one was 5-6 years ago.  These shortages harm the shooting sports as those without a personal ammunition/components inventory leave the shooting sports and often don't return.  The buckaroos we lost locally due to a .22 shortage all never returned.  I hope the current primer shortage is brief so SASS retains members.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The small primer shortage is just part the current ammunition and firearms shortage.  The last one was 5-6 years ago.  These shortages harm the shooting sports as those without a personal ammunition/components inventory leave the shooting sports and often don't return.  The buckaroos we lost locally due to a .22 shortage all never returned.  I hope the current primer shortage is brief so SASS retains members.

Actually, it was 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How soon primers become available again, will depend a lot on what happens November 3rd.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

When I get below 2 years worth of primers and powder, then I start looking.

That's what my friend that got me started, told me. Have at least two years worth of reloading supplies.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually, it was 2013.

Back then Wal*Mart employees were buying ammo that was delivered to their stores and re-selling it at gun shows.  With Wal*Mart no longer selling 9 mm Luger and .223 ammo they've lost that cash cow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did miss to boat on one opportunity.   Grafs and Sons never had Remington caps in stock until a year or so ago. Then they had them in stock. I set on the fence deciding to stock up.  I don't shoot my cap guns all that much and have a good supply.  But now Grafs and Sons are out of all caps except for musket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I didn't happen to see any answer if anyone has one at all of when there should hopefully be more small pistol primers in stock??? (at this point I would take Federal or Winchester just so I have something) I got lucky that I was able to buy a used press with all the extras off a good friend but just opened my last box of 5k not too long ago and with no stores near me with anything in stock don't know how long I can stretch those. That being said with my local matches, practice, Regionals, and State matches are right around the corner this will be interesting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I did miss to boat on one opportunity.   Grafs and Sons never had Remington caps in stock until a year or so ago. Then they had them in stock. I set on the fence deciding to stock up.  I don't shoot my cap guns all that much and have a good supply.  But now Grafs and Sons are out of all caps except for musket. 

Too bad ya don't live nearby...I've got a boat load of Rem #10's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 401 primer plan, It works good 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Federal small pistol primers will be available when Federal has loaded up all the ammo (9mm presumably) they need for stores...they are their own FIRST best customer. My primer needs have grown exponentially because I offer cowboy ammo. I get far better return on investment on primers when I sell them in a cartridge vs by the case to my bullet customers... so I get where Federal is coming from... I hope that they catch up soon...

 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.