SASS Wire Forum

Federal small pistol primers

Rootin Tootin

41 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Federal small pistol primers will be available when Federal has loaded up all the ammo (9mm presumably) they need for stores...they are their own FIRST best customer. My primer needs have grown exponentially because I offer cowboy ammo. I get far better return on investment on primers when I sell them in a cartridge vs by the case to my bullet customers... so I get where Federal is coming from... I hope that they catch up soon...

Big hugs!

Scarlett

How's your primer supply for your ammo business?

Are you licensed to ship primers and powder to customers?

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How's your primer supply for your ammo business?

Are you licensed to ship primers and powder to customers?

OLG 

Primers are not available from me except in the form of ammunition! :D..and, I’m beginning to get nervous.... and I am not (never have) shipping primers though I do ship APP by the case and can, if necessary, ship ShootersWorld powders.  We look for primers every day and will load cartridges until we can’t. We have loads of other components... I did remove the cartridges from my website and ask folks to call me because I am not gonna sell to a non cowboy... I’m in this business BECAUSE of cowboys and FOR cowboys..so that’s who gets first dibs.  

Big hugs!

Scarlett

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Primers are not available from me except in the form of ammunition! :D..and, I’m beginning to get nervous.... and I am not (never have) shipping primers though I do ship APP by the case and can, if necessary, ship ShootersWorld powders.  We look for primers every day and will load cartridges until we can’t. We have loads of other components... I did remove the cartridges from my website and ask folks to call me because I am not gonna sell to a non cowboy... I’m in this business BECAUSE of cowboys and FOR cowboys..so that’s who gets first dibs.  

Big hugs!

Scarlett

When this insanity comes to an end. PLZ consider selling primers & powders. 

I want, as do others, to support a SASS vender like you.....

Respectfully, 

OLG 

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When this insanity comes to an end. PLZ consider selling primers & powders. 

I want, as do others, to support a SASS vender like you.....

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Thank you very much. I appreciate it very much and I work very hard to support the sport, that supports me, in anyway that I can.  

I usually stock as many Federal primers as I can afford and sell at matches and from my shop...I haven’t ever shipped primers because of the hassle and... I can’t buy them as well as the big companies ... and there’s not any $$$ in them much anyway... I DO sell APP (and drop ship by the case),  Clean Shot (ShootersWorld Powders) and can drop ship for additional hazmat...

Thanks, OLG! I appreciate your support and feedback!! 

Big hugs!!

Scarlett

This place still has them. At least, they let me add them to my cart with no "backorder" or "out of stock" popping up.

https://x-reload.com/reloading-components/primers-powders/primers.html#

On 8/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Assassin said:

I keep enough primers for several years of shooting. Sure, some peoples finances don't allow them to purchase bulk quantities of powder, primers, etc.

Primers were available up until April and they were actually dropping in price. Do you all wait until you're out of toilet paper before looking for more, or wait until you run out of gas. We've been through these shortages numerous times, plan ahead. If you tune your guns for only the softest of primers and they won't work that is on you. 

Assassin

The points you note are mostly all valid.....NO WAIT,  maybe they ARE all valid!  You would think that nobody runs out of toilet paper anymore, except those folks who run a primers, maybe.......probably.

Cat Brules

I might add that I've done business with Scarlett and Tommy (hubby) and ya won't find finer folks anywhere

to deal with AND..... call dear friends.

She has gone above and beyond working hard to help Cowboy shooters with Powder, Primers, Bullets and loaded ammo.

If you had a magic lamp and rubbed the Genie for wishes, you couldn't wish for a finer person.

Love ya Scarlett.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

This place still has them. At least, they let me add them to my cart with no "backorder" or "out of stock" popping up.

I hope those prices are not a portend of what's coming when primers become more available again.

I lucked on 10K Federal Small magnums today. I bought them will share the wealth with my partner Verdadero.  

vendor told me he did not expect any more primers until December. 

3 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

TNX, first I have heard of this outfit.

Who here has had dealings with'em?

Follow up, they are in Canada. Can they even ship primers to the USA?

Well, they only allow you to buy 1k primers at a time.

Are those prices Canadian dollars? 

OLG 

17 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I might add that I've done business with Scarlett and Tommy (hubby) and ya won't find finer folks anywhere

She has gone above and beyond working hard to help Cowboy shooters with Powder, Primers, Bullets and loaded ammo.

If you had a magic lamp and rubbed the Genie for wishes, you couldn't wish for a finer person.

Love ya Scarlett.

..........Widder

I wholeheartedly agree. 

I did my first order with this fine lady a couple months back and it won't be my last. Great service, communication and just good people. 

18 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Do you have any difficulty getting primers shipped in from Canada?  Extra expenses?  Looking through the sites of several Canadian suppliers, there isn't a shortage in Canada.  The panic buying and hoarding seems to be strictly a U.S.A. phenomenon.

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Do you have any difficulty getting primers shipped in from Canada?  Extra expenses?  Looking through the sites of several Canadian suppliers, there isn't a shortage in Canada.  The panic buying and hoarding seems to be strictly a U.S.A. phenomenon.

It wouldn't let me purchase them. It says you have to enter in PAL information... which I'm assuming is a Canadian thing. Either way not sure if anyone was able to buy but I HIGHLY doubt a Canadian company can ship Hazmat to a normal person in the U.S. lol. 

Anyone know how to achieve buying primers from Canada?

4 hours ago, McCandless said:

They will only ship 1k at a time of the size/type you want.

OLG 

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They will only ship 1k at a time of the size/type you want.

OLG 

I saw that.

1000 Federals

1000 CCI

1000 Winchesters

I could have had it up to 10k with match and magnums.

But PAL.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, Hellbender said:

I hope those prices are not a portend of what's coming when primers become more available again.

Didn't notice the price was in Canadian dollars.  Kindly disregard my previous statement. :rolleyes:

On 8/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Love ya Scarlett.

..........Widder

Gotta be careful what ya rub there Widder! :o

Kajun

9 minutes ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

So... just a question, what is the shelf life on primers?  I do want to maintain a comfortable stock.  Do they go "bad"?

Friends of mine are shooting ammo that is decades old. Still goes bang.

As long as the primers are stored properly, no reason they should not last as long as loaded ammo.

Keep 'em dry, not too cold or warm, but mainly avoid fast temperature swings (condensation is an enemy), and you will be fine. If the brass starts turning green, something is not right.

Just don't pay today's ridiculous prices for a five or ten year supply; get what you need for now and buy more when prices look sane again.

14 minutes ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

So... just a question, what is the shelf life on primers?  I do want to maintain a comfortable stock.  Do they go "bad"?

Mine have always been delicious even after a couple years.

Good advise.  A buddy of mine gave me some primers he had in his garage for years.  Loaded a few hundred and had more not go bang than I could stand.  Figured they had too many temperature swings and humidity.  I am with you.  Just waiting for the right time to stock up.  Just gettin an itchy trigger finger....

Well,  my primer inventory just went from comfy to critical.   

A while back,  Grafs and Sons had Winchester primers on sale. I bought 5k large and 5k small just to fatten up our inventory.   Today, Sawmill Mary was priming up 300 or so 44WCF.  I came in and she said she was out of primers.   No problem.   I went to our working inventory and found only small pistol primers.   No problem.  I went to the reserve inventory.  WHAAA!  both 5k boxes were small SMALL PRIMERS!   

Although frustrating,  it's still not time to panic.  She has enough 44WCF ammo to finish out the season.  I probably have enough loaded to finish out this year and next. But I'll keep an eye out for some.   

I check Grafs and Sons website and they showed Federal large pistol primers in stock.  An hour later and they were stock out again. Federal is not my first or even second choice but I'd buy a few hundred to load Sawmill Mary's empty cases. 

32 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I went to the reserve inventory.  WHAAA!  both 5k boxes were small SMALL PRIMERS!   

I bet you wouldn't have a problem trading those for large pistol primers.

54 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I bet you wouldn't have a problem trading those for large pistol primers.

That's what I figure.  Good property. 

It's more of an emotional thing. We all are accustomed to having anything we want available when we want it. 

Sawmill Mary has two 1894s in 357 and a pair of birdshead Catteman in 357. Lots of bullets and brass and loaded ammo. I have the 1894cs in 357/38 and several old Marlins in 32-20.  Plus a pair of Cinnamon 32 lightning with extra 32-20 cylinders.  So we don't have to stop shooting any time soon. 

I contacted Federal about the shortage and this was there reply. "At the current time our demand for loaded ammunition is exceeding our production of primers so we are using all the primer we produce in loaded ammunition".  

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Not to turn this political or anything, but with Harris being picked as VP, I see more panic fueled purchases on the horizon. 

Yep...The tide isn't turning on this one until at least election day.  Depending on how that goes, they may never catch up.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:37 PM, Sasparilla Groz said:

The dryer the air is, the better.

When I lived in the Mojave Desert, storing in the garage wasn't an issue.

Living now in Missouri,  I store inside because of the reduced RH.

OLG 

Archived