SASS Wire Forum

Utah Bob's Brown Boots

Bob's thread about bad boot laces got me thinking the U. S .Army should change their uniform code to

bring back some of the more stylish issues. Like the Sam Browne belt, Khaki class B uniforms,  BROWN BOOTS,

Khaki web belts,  O.D. winter wear. 

OK, so it is a slow day. 

The new greens and brown boots/shoes are a start. Soldiers are being measured now at a couple of locations.

Corcoran is manufacturing the Jump Boots.

I doubt  the Sam Browne will ever come back.They dropped it in 1942. The current winter gear is mush warmer than wool.

Can't speak for the Army, but when I was in the Navy the uniform changes were done to help recruiting (or so they said).  Supposedly young men and women thought cammo was cool, so the uniforms were changed.  One thing I still can't figure out is why 3 of the 4 branches were different cammo, it would be cheaper to only make one style.  As a member of the Uniform Board I couldn't believe how much it costs just to develop one uniform.  The pattern and color on every order has to be tested to maintain consistency, even the thread used has to be tested for strength and color retention.

3 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Are all soldiers still required to wear Ranger berets? What a dolt Shinseki was!

PF

No. The beret is now an optional item. There is hope that it will go away.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Can't speak for the Army, but when I was in the Navy the uniform changes were done to help recruiting (or so they said).  Supposedly young men and women thought cammo was cool, so the uniforms were changed.  One thing I still can't figure out is why 3 of the 4 branches were different cammo, it would be cheaper to only make one style.  As a member of the Uniform Board I couldn't believe how much it costs just to develop one uniform.  The pattern and color on every order has to be tested to maintain consistency, even the thread used has to be tested for strength and color retention.

Each branch is responsible for it’s Oppenheimer informs it has always been this. The official Navy line is that the uniforms are not camo but designed so great and dirt don’t show as much. Nobody believes that.

CSMA Daniel Dailey (Center of pic) initiated the uniform change, in part to pay homage to the Greatest Generation. Starting next year they will be issued to Basic Training graduates.
Now seeing as how the Army troops seldom wear class As anymore I’m not sure how good a recruiting tool it will be. If they would go back to the old regs requiring Class As for travel and off post appearance, potential recruits would see the uniform more. The Marines never changed their policy. That’s why you won’t see Marines in sloppy camo in the airport. ;)

Personally I like the look. I do wish they’d cut down on badges and ribbons for every dang thing. I hear that may be in the works.

7BE8B919-E756-48C8-8193-FC44048FD94A.jpeg

I love a girl in a uniform!!  :wub:

:wub:      :FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Each branch is responsible for it’s Oppenheimer informs it has always been this. The official Navy line is that the uniforms are not camo but designed so great and dirt don’t show as much. Nobody believes that.

CSMA Daniel Dailey (Center of pic) initiated the uniform change, in part to pay homage to the Greatest Generation. Starting next year they will be issued to Basic Training graduates.
Now seeing as how the Army troops seldom wear class As anymore I’m not sure how good a recruiting tool it will be. If they would go back to the old regs requiring Class As for travel and off post appearance, potential recruits would see the uniform more. The Marines never changed their policy. That’s why you won’t see Marines in sloppy camo in the airport. ;)

Personally I like the look. I do wish they’d cut down on badges and ribbons for every dang thing. I hear that may be in the works.

You probably already know why the services stopped wearing uniforms for travel and off post, but for anyone that doesn't it was for security.  Post 9/11 a lot of rules changed like wearing uniforms in public and even the DOD stickers that were required on vehicles, the changes protected service men/women from becoming targeted off base/post.  As to the Marines, the Marines and Navy classify camo as a "working uniform" and members are not supposed to wear them in public.  An exception is for brief stops while commuting to/from base i.e. gas, pharmacy.  All this was as of 3 years ago and since I don't have to don the colors of our great country any longer I've stopped keeping up with any changes.  

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I am in total agreement with Bob's last statement.  A lot of ribbons seem to exist just to decorate the uniform.  I consider any award other than those issued by a foreign government (and some of those) worn below the National Defense Service Medal to be a "gedunk" award, to borrow a Navy term.

Duffield

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

7BE8B919-E756-48C8-8193-FC44048FD94A.jpeg

Makes me want to re-up just so I can get the uniform! Heads and shoulders above the green Class A uniforms. The Army Service Uniform could have been OK except it appeared to be design by committee, with every member getting a say. I like the new look and the return to patches on shoulders, among other things. I think I could live without the belt, but I do get that it is tradition.

2 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

With the Castro Kepi of 1950's. 

It was our cap. Castro stole it.

The blocked Ridgeway cap was out by the time I joined in 66. It still looked better than the stupid ball cap they gave us. I hated it. Hard to beat the WW2 overseas cap though. The stiff green one they issued with the Dress Greens was also a fail. 

E58711EC-4097-4042-B18D-D4CF4D065052.jpeg

91590D9E-B537-48AF-99D9-DEFBAF87AAB6.jpeg

26384356-C33C-4788-AFC9-270BFF8FA936.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm already on my fourth duty uniform, third physical fitness uniform, and third dress uniform.  PLEASE stop changing out clothes....

1966 Physical Fitness uniform.:P

9F4F1A06-0EFD-4548-A535-9CA89AC9DA92.jpeg

On 8/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Bob's thread about bad boot laces got me thinking the U. S .Army should change their uniform code to

bring back some of the more stylish issues. Like the Sam Browne belt, Khaki class B uniforms,  BROWN BOOTS,

Khaki web belts,  O.D. winter wear. 

OK, so it is a slow day. 

There is a soft place in my heart for the Class C abbreviated.   

Archived