SASS Wire Forum

12 GA Ammo option

Mad Jacket Hornet

47 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

It'll certainly work, but at 1180 fps, it's 200 fps faster than the Low Noise/ Low Recoil commonly called Featherlites. Your shoulder will notice the difference.

Bob,

I was having a hard time finding featherlites locally and wasn’t sure they were still called that, but I found the xtra-lites in a store. I will continue to search. Thanks for the info.

MJH, they are still called Featherlites by shooters but not by Winchester.  The box says "Low Noise Low Recoil" , 26gr of shot, Min. dram equiv.  There is still a feather printed on the shell, but you don't see that on the box.  The product number is AA12FL8.  There are some Federal low recoil shells out there and maybe some others, but not as common.

I have a bunch or the Winchester low noise/recoil shells and wile they are light they do not shuck well out of my pedersoli SxS.  I find the reloads I make from Remington Gun clubs work better.  7/8 of #8 shot.

14 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have a bunch or the Winchester low noise/recoil shells and wile they are light they do not shuck well out of my pedersoli SxS.  I find the reloads I make from Remington Gun clubs work better.  7/8 of #8 shot.

Does Remington gun club come in 7/8 or is that your reload in used hulls?

6 minutes ago, Mad Jacket Hornet said:

Does Remington gun club come in 7/8 or is that your reload in used hulls?

I have never seen any Gun Clubs in 7/8.  The ones I use I have reloaded myself.

Just now, Nickel City Dude said:

I have never seen any Gun Clubs in 7/8.  The ones I use I have reloaded myself.

Thanks for clearing that up, I dont reload (yet) just trying to get back into cowboy action, it has been a few years.

3 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I found Rogers's Sporting has Federal 900fps in stock.

I ordered those from Rogers a few years ago.  The hulls are ribbed and the brass is rather high for a low velocity load.  They mostly worked okay but a few times hulls stuck in my TTN, and nothing else ever sticks in that gun.

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I ordered those from Rogers a few years ago.  The hulls are ribbed and the brass is rather high for a low velocity load.  They mostly worked okay but a few times hulls stuck in my TTN, and nothing else ever sticks in that gun.

TTN? sorry I know what SxS is but not familiar with that.

10 minutes ago, Mad Jacket Hornet said:

TTN? sorry I know what SxS is but not familiar with that.

hammered SxS now marketed as the Cimarron 1878. These are a copy of the Colt shotgun from 1878.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

11 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

hammered SxS now marketed as the Cimarron 1878. These are a copy of the Colt shotgun from 1878.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

Thanks Goody! I am getting back into shooting and also have a lot to learn!

BassPro has the Win Low Recoil/Low Noise in stock.  You just missed the Win rebate on them.  It ended August 1.

Archived