SASS Wire Forum

Tales from the Gun Shop

Whiskey Hicks

So I was in my local shop to pick up a wonderful Husqvarna from Dusty Morningwood. A lady of about mid 40s came in to look at 1911s, telling one of the employees she was there after purchasing a rifle from them previously.

i was waiting for my Federal background check to complete and was browsing which gave me a chance to overhear her tell him that she was involved in a group that does research out in the woods, of a kind “that most people aren’t ready to know about”.

She talked about needing to have enough stopping power for ‘one of them’. The employee knew exactly what she was talking about and they discussed migration patterns of these things across the state of Ohio.

I surmised she’s with our county’s local Sasquatch enthusiasts after she said one of them even threw a stone at her and her group in the dark.

How common of an interest is this in the firearms communities? What other odd tales from the shop do you have?

Lady wouldn’t need a gun if she’d just leave them alone.  She’ll be the one hurtin’ if the Sasquatcheros start furnishing them with rifles and whiskey...mark my words. ;)

So what about the Sasquatch population??

I’ve never seen them, however there is enough in the way of reporting from many sound, reliable people, plus limited, fairly convincing physical evidence, photos, hair samples, feces, etc., that cannot be traced analytically to any known animal.  And, all this going back some 200 years, and forward, up to the present, lending validity to the premise that there is some life form out there that we know very little to (arguably) nothing about.  

So, people have hunting clubs now, and have geared up, NOT to prove or disprove the (supposed) existence of this humanoid creature, but to hunt one or more specimens of it down and kill them.  Indeed, some states have passed laws protecting the Sasquatch.

The Sasquatch is supposed to be about 8 feet tall and weigh 500- to 700-plus pounds.  And, people want to know what firearms will kill it?   How about any “deer rifle” caliber, or any large caliber handgun, from say, .357 Magnum on up, with FMJ or “defense” bullets.   My guess is that 3 rounds to the chest or one in the head would drop it.  But, why would anyone kill a Sasquatch?  It would be mindless to kill a reclusive, and probably (empirical evidence), peaceful, creature?

Cat Brules

I was in a gun shop in Oregon that has an old timey shooting gallery. Really a neat place...if the owner wasn’t such a money grubbing butthead...

Anyway, they do a pretty brisk shooting gallery business. I was there one day when a small group of skinny-jean wearing man-bunnites were just finishing up their gallery session. They were all excited and were discussing buying Henry .22 leverguns just like the ones used in the gallery. 
They were talking with a guy at the counter about them and actively discussing each one buying a rifle when one of them says “Hey, we play paintball. If we had on light body armor could we shoot each other with these?”

(Cue screeching record noise)

Pretty much everyone in the place stopped what they were doing to stare at these guys. There were at least 3 guys behind the counter and 9 or 10 customers. 
The owner, to his credit, stepped in real quick and stated that he not selling them .22 rifles until all of them provided proof of a firearms or hunting safety course. 
One guy said “That’s not required, is it?”

The owner said “It is today...for you guys.”

I asked a while later if those knuckleheads ever came back to buy those guns. They hadn’t. I guess the whimsy was over. 

Too bad there's not a mental test on the 4473, that lady is a whacko!!:wacko::blink:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was in a gun shop in Oregon that has an old timey shooting gallery. Really a neat place...if the owner wasn’t such a money grubbing butthead...

Anyway, they do a pretty brisk shooting gallery business. I was there one day when a small group of skinny-jean wearing man-bunnites were just finishing up their gallery session. They were all excited and were discussing buying Henry .22 leverguns just like the ones used in the gallery. 
They were talking with a guy at the counter about them and actively discussing each one buying a rifle when one of them says “Hey, we play paintball. If we had on light body armor could we shoot each other with these?”

Pretty much everyone in the place stopped what they were doing to stare at these guys. There were at least 3 guys behind the counter and 9 or 10 customers. 
The owner, to his credit, stepped in real quick and stated that he not selling them .22 rifles until all of them provided proof of a firearms or hunting safety course. 

I asked a while later if those knuckleheads ever came back to buy those guns. They hadn’t. I guess the whimsy was over. 

Credit to the owner for stepping in. 

As much as I’m a live-and-let-live person, this is precisely the reason that air soft and paint ball make me nervous. It desensitizes a person to what real guns can do.  

If I was running around out in the dark in a feller's back yard beating sticks on trees and yelling gibberish at him, I'd want to be armed, too.  <_<

Some folks get right grumpy when their night's peace is disturbed in such a manner.;)

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It might be better to sell them guns and allow nature to cull the gene pool.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

As my mother would have said, “Ye gods and little fishes!!”

(They’ll put their eye out!)

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Lady wouldn’t need a gun if she’d just leave them alone.  She’ll be the one hurtin’ if the Sasquatcheros start furnishing them with rifles and whiskey...mark my words. ;)

I think they're Federally protected now.  Not sure but might be on endangered species list, too

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That's like the studs that say they can catch an arrow in flight from a modern bow.  I'm sure they can but it gets a little bloody around the entry wound.

I’m advised from this to shave my coronavirus beard before camping alone in Ohio.  (My wife and I visit Bellefontaine, Logan Co., to see her mother).

34 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I’m advised from this to shave my coronavirus beard before camping alone in Ohio.  (My wife and I visit Bellefontaine, Logan Co., to see her mother).

I’m just down 68 in Springfield. Some good shooting in the surrounding area too. Miami Valley Cowboys in Piqua are about 45 minutes 

11 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

PAT !!!!! ............ you're scaring me.   :(

5 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Me TOO!  But then again, I am a snowflake.:rolleyes:

Why? Don’t be skeered...:D

33 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I’m just down 68 in Springfield. Some good shooting in the surrounding area too. Miami Valley Cowboys in Piqua are about 45 minutes 

I looked about a year ago and thought the closest was in West Liberty.

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I looked about a year ago and thought the closest was in West Liberty.

No Cowboy Action in West Lib, but there could be some ranges I'm unaware of.

Headline should read negligent.

SHOPPER WOUNDED IN ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING AT PAWN SHOP

GREENVILLE –Officers from the Greenville Police Department responded this morning to a call regarding a possible accidental shooting. The call came in at approximately 10:35 a.m. from Greenville Pawn. Upon arrival at the scene, officers located the wounded man, 63-year-old David Michael Tilger of Point,and saw what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the victim’s head. Based upon information and evidence gathered at the scene, it appears a customer had been handed a pistol from the store’s display case.The customer pointed the barrel of the pistol away from the display and was examining the weapon when he touched the trigger and the pistol discharged. The bullet fired struck Tilger, who was browsing in a different area of the store,in the head. Greenville Fire-Rescue and AMR responded to the scene and Tilger was transported by Air Evac air ambulance to Parkland Hospital in Dallas. As of 1:30 p.m., the victim was in critical, but stable,condition at Parkland Hospital. It appears, at this time, the shooting was a tragic accident and no arrest was made.

That Greenville incident was 6 1/2 years ago, in 2014.   I wonder how the outcome of the incident played out?

Cat Brules

On 8/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, Whiskey Hicks said:

...How common of an interest is this in the firearms communities? What other odd tales from the shop do you have?

Your post sure got hijacked really quick!

On 8/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, Whiskey Hicks said:

How common of an interest is this in the firearms communities? What other odd tales from the shop do you have?

Sasquatch hunting, or collecting odd stories about weird people?

I can't say I've ever had any inclination to hunt Sasquatches (I think that's the plural). I don't know anyone personally that does or has, or claims any experiences.

My stories from behind the gun counter are just your mundane, run of the mill weirdness.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, Whiskey Hicks said:

How common of an interest is this in the firearms communities?

I can honestly say I  have never heard anyone that I know of that searches for Samsquanches...()name from Trailer Park Boys)

I do recall my Dad and his buddies  driving around looking for Bigfoots in SW Pennsylvania when I was a kid.

Some dude came  into the Chicken House restaurant with plaster of paris cast of a Bigfoot track he found near his farm.

I pointed out that it was mighty clean casting as it was pure white. I am pretty  sure he used the words "Go away kid, yer botherin' me"

Rednecks and Hillbillies are a gullible bunch.

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can honestly say I  have never heard anyone that I know of that searches for Samsquanches...()name from Trailer Park Boys)

I do recall my Dad and his buddies  driving around looking for Bigfoots in SW Pennsylvania when I was a kid.

Some dude came  into the Chicken House restaurant with plaster of paris cast of a Bigfoot track he found near his farm.

I pointed out that it was mighty clean casting as it was pure white. I am pretty  sure he used the words "Go away kid, yer botherin' me"

When I was in college one of my roommates was from the UP of Mi . There’s not allot to do up there so he said when he was in high school he and his friends used to get drunk and take turns putting on a Bigfoot costume they made . Then wait for a lone car to be coming down the road at night run in front of it and into the woods . He said a couple of times people went to town and reported it to the police and it even made the local paper once . Knowing how many people road hunt in Mi I always thought he was lucky he didn’t get shot . I’m thinking things like this are where most of the Bigfoot stories come from. But who doesn’t believe in la chupacabra :) 

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

When I was in college one of my roommates was from the UP of Mi . There’s not allot to do up there so he said when he was in high school he and his friends used to get drunk and take turns putting on a Bigfoot costume they made . Then wait for a lone car to be coming down the road at night run in front of it and into the woods . He said a couple of times people went to town and reported it to the police and it even made the local paper once . Knowing how many people road hunt in Mi I always thought he was lucky he didn’t get shot . I’m thinking things like this are where most of the Bigfoot stories come from. But who doesn’t believe in la cupacabrha :) 

A college acquaintance of mine came from a logging community near Mt. St. Helens.  He and his buddies staged bigfoot sightings.  They would locate a cabin where a teenager was baby sitting and stand near the edge of a forest clearing wearing a gorilla suit loudly howling.  Since the baby sitter probably didn't know how to shoot they felt safe.  They also had a set a stilts with big rubber feet they would walk across plowed fields leaving "bigfoot tracks."  

In the Southwest presumed chupacabra bodies have been examined and determined to be coyotes with bad cases of mange. 

11 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

A college acquaintance of mine came from a logging community near Mt. St. Helens.  He and his buddies staged bigfoot sightings.  They would locate a cabin where a teenager was baby sitting and stand near the edge of a forest clearing wearing a gorilla suit loudly howling.  Since the baby sitter probably didn't know how to shoot they felt safe.  They also had a set a stilts with big rubber feet they would walk across plowed fields leaving "bigfoot tracks."  

In the Southwest presumed chupacabra bodies have been examined and determined to be coyotes with bad cases of mange. 

I don’t think getting killed ever entered the thought process of the guy I knew , he was a pretty good motocross rider , I don’t think they have that little voice inside saying “you might not want to do this” 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bigfeet can mix up plaster of paris and make casts?  That's the first I've ever heard of that!  I don't think they're the primitive beasts people are making them out to be. 

Clandestine Hunters, wear your orange vests!

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

Sasquatch hunting, or collecting odd stories about weird people?

I can't say I've ever had any inclination to hunt Sasquatches (I think that's the plural). I don't know anyone personally that does or has, or claims any experiences.

My stories from behind the gun counter are just your mundane, run of the mill weirdness.

Either really. I know sometimes there are subculture to different communities and interests.

Some of those we might run into at the shop or the range.

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

When I was in college one of my roommates was from the UP of Mi . There’s not allot to do up there so he said when he was in high school he and his friends used to get drunk and take turns putting on a Bigfoot costume they made . Then wait for a lone car to be coming down the road at night run in front of it and into the woods . He said a couple of times people went to town and reported it to the police and it even made the local paper once . Knowing how many people road hunt in Mi I always thought he was lucky he didn’t get shot . I’m thinking things like this are where most of the Bigfoot stories come from. But who doesn’t believe in la chupacabra :) 

La Chupacabra DOES exist!!

There is excellent Police dash-cam video of one running down a road and turning its distinctive head back several times to look behind.  (SEE VIDEO BELOW)

Additionally, there have been several found dead or were killed, and forensically examined.         CB

Archived