SASS Wire Forum

Gun Dealer on 'New Normal' and the Guns and Ammo Ordeal

Charlie T Waite

gunshow-table-600x330.jpg

I don’t shoot much small pistol. Schoolmarm only shoots a few rounds of .38/357 now and then to keep sharp.  Hatfield hasn’t shot a SASS match in a couple of years and only practices his cowboy stuff once or twice a year, but now my grandson has gotten interested, so I decided to get some more .38 loaded up for him. I figured a thousand rounds would do.

I rounded up all the empty brass I had and bought a little more, ordered some 110gr bullets for this run and grabbed a pound of powder. When all of this came about, I went to my primer stash and could only find one box of a thousand small pistol.

I had gathered up four hundred 158gr jacketed hollow points and decided to roll up some hot .357 rounds, (I had 150 empty cases) and a few +P .38s to round it out.

I told myself that I could just go buy another box or two of small pistol primers.  WRONG!!!  I stopped in at a local gun store and they had less than a case of Federal and little or nothing of anything else. I grabbed a box, (I won’t buy ‘em all) and looked at the price tag. $49.99 a box!!  I put ‘em back and walked out of the store.

I called up a local shooter’s supply and asked if they had any. “No sir, but I can take your order, backorder it and when I get more I’ll call you.”  I gave him an order for a couple thousand.

He called today to tell me that they were in. When I got there I gave him my card and he ran it up. $34.21 each!!  

Patience is a virtue and it supports wallet health! When I told him what they were charging, he laughed. He said his prices don’t change unless they have a sale,(lower prices) or the manufacturer changes their prices.

At the big gun show last Saturday, there were no small pistol primers anywhere!!

Sir, it looks like you are near Nashville.  The Sportmans Warehouse in Murfreesboro will sell you 1,000 CCI small pistol primers for $24 with local pickup if you order online.  These are not my favorite primers for CAS but they might keep your grandson shooting.  You could at least load some practice rounds.

The order for two boxes of Federal was only 20 minutes away at Midsouth Shooters Supply and Murfreesboro is an hour away, give or take.

I’m not a fan of CCI.  They’re cheaper for a reason!

Archived