SASS Wire Forum

Comfortable Boots for Minimum Categories

bgavin

Is there any recommendation for comfortable boots for the "minimum" costume requirements?
I understand Classic and B-Western have more stringent requirements than "minimum".

I'm looking first and foremost at comfort.

I started in this shooting sport back in 2003..

I thought.. I'm gonna be wearing and standing in these boots

fer maybe 4-5 hours.. I wanted them comfortable..

I found a pair of Double H western boots..

When trying them on for sizing I wore a thicker pair of knee high socks

and put a thick padded insole inside the boot..

I got a size big enough to accept the thicker sock, the insole and my foot..

I still wear the same pair when I go shootin' ..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' they're still comfy..

Try Ariat “roper” style boots (about 12” shaft) with a regular “walking” heel.

The most comfortable Western boot I’ve ever worn.

Very comfortable, inexpensive, good materials and well-made, handsome, great selection of toe-designs, leather and design stitching.  

Cat Brules

7 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Try Ariat “roper” style boots (about 12” shaft) with a regular “walking” heel.

The most comfortable Western boot I’ve ever worn.

Very comfortable, inexpensive, good materials and well-made, handsome, great selection of toe-designs, leather and design stitching.  

Cat Brules

If you are talking about the crepe sole roper they are great. Switched to those last year.

9 hours ago, MBFields said:

If you are talking about the crepe sole roper they are great. Switched to those last year.

I am not exactly sure exactly what “crepe soles” are.  However, the Ariat boots that I buy have a flat, composition rubber sole.

Cat Brules

6 minutes ago, MBFields said:

Think that is what they call crepe. Great boots.

MBF,

Thank you, that’s good to know!

Cat Brules

I’ve bought and tried several different boots Justin’s, Ariats, Earthwalkers, custom made (2pairs) the most comfortable I have found for me are Red Wing work boots. Oil finished leather. I have a pair of lace ups (packer style) and a pair of pull on. These are just basic Wellington’s, not lug soles work boots.  Probably not “blingy” enough for B Westrrn, but ok for everything else 

I understand that anything is fine except for sneakers or tennis shoes whatever you call them. BWestern and Classic Cowboy are the exception.

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I understand that anything is fine except for sneakers or tennis shoes whatever you call them.

Although some (or maybe even a lot of) shooters and clubs see it that way, that's just not true. Please see for example the ROC ruling in this thread.

Respectfully

Equanimous Phil

9 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Although some (or maybe even a lot of) shooters and clubs see it that way, that's just not true. Please see for example the ROC ruling in this thread.

Respectfully

Equanimous Phil

All the clubs I go to, 5 here in Ohio, and no one says anything about footwear. People wear work boots and/or regular shoes. The only time people say anything is if they have tennis shoes on. Even then there maybe an exception for really bad feet or maybe a new shooter. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

All the clubs I go to, 5 here in Ohio, and no one says anything about footwear. People wear work boots and/or regular shoes.

Yeah, like I said, probably most clubs don't care about our rule book and PWB's cited paragraph regarding this issue. Doesn't make it right, though.

No problem with comfortable footwear for bad feet or improvisational boots for new shooters, but as an exception from the rule and not generally accepted for everybody, imho. Or else, the rule had to be changed...

Everybody's feetses be different.  My big, fat foots don't do good in Ariats but do fine in Red Wings.  Lace ups are much more comfortable for me than pull ons...  So I shoot in Lace ups and save the fancy boots for Saturday nights.

Archived