SASS Wire Forum

Revolver Speed Loaders for 38/357

bgavin

I'm kicking tires on the HKS loaders for my GP100 and SP101, in 357 mag.

They look durable enough.
Any problems with cartridges falling out of the loader, or ??

The SafariLand and Speed Beez look too "fiddly" for my taste.

Safariland and other spring-loaded speed loaders are OK for speed competition, but they're known to malfunction.  For reliability, stick with the HKS speedloaders.  Many moons ago when I carried a wheel gun on patrol, the HKS loaders were the top choice of patrol officers due to their reliability.  Just a wee bit of practice will make you just as fast with the HKS's.

I’ve used both for years. 
Safariland loaders drop the cartridges into the cylinder automatically when you push it.

HKS requires you to turn the knob.

Both are very reliable. I think the HKS are perhaps a bit more durable. 
I am comfortable carrying either type.

B33C3F70-CC9C-4A40-B299-4CE75103B85C.jpeg

I have used HKS for years and have never had them lose  cartridges. They are what I use...or used. I don't have a CCW in CA so I cannot legally carry here right now.

I would carry loaded speedloaders in my pockets without a case or anything. No issues with cartridges falling out or the speedloader unlocking itself.

I did have a few instances as an instructor of officers accidentally  turning the  the HKS knob while removing it from the pouch and dumping the rounds. But these were rookies or trainees. The Safariland has no knob. I would suggest you get one of each and try them out.

I’ve used both in competition. The Safariland is quicker to use and can be used one handed in an emergency. With the HKS, the cylinder must be held in order to twist the release knob.

I have used and carried both while on duty. Both stood up to the use and abuse of that. For competition, Safariland. For hunting, HKS. Try both.

I have an SP101.

The sppedloaders that I use are HKS, a rubber device and speed strips.

I liked the HKS until someone showed how it turns wrong.  The handle turns clockwise to dump the loads which means that it pushes the cylinder towards the frame unless supported.  There is also the lefty-loosy, except when dumping rounds.

My preference is the Bianchi 6-round speed strips.  I load three, skip a space and load two.  Make it easy to charge 1, 2 or 3 chambers for a partial reload.  It is also less expensive and flat in the pocket.

Archived