SASS Wire Forum

Best Bear Protection

Smoky Pistols

I live and Hunt where it is quite common to see several Black and Grizzlies on the same day ....

The Last grizzly charge ended in a rather tense Stand-off at 12 feet with me at full draw and talking her into neither of us wanting to die that fine afternoon ....

This was not a suprize encounter she knew I was there, and thought I might taste good ..... This was a Big old Sow well past her prime ....

I became aware of her in time to put a couple rocks at my back and come to full draw .... 

Jabez Cowboy

16 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation recommends a large can of bear spray over any firearm.  They suggest creating a cloud of spray between you and the bear.  I am not sure how this would work if the wind was blowing from the bear to you. 

I agree that the problem will more likely be with other people rather than bears. We have had a couple of cases in this area lately.  A small revolver or semi-auto with spar magazines looks very good for that use.

Duffield

Have two cans of that.  Hoping that will be all it takes, if an incident does occur.  Bet then again, I wouldn't want the Rangers finding a big pile of bear poop and my torn clothes next to two empty cans of bear spray!  LOL

On 8/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, Assassin said:

I would not piss off a bear with a 45 acp. It may be a man stopper, it's not a bear stopper. Carry one of those air horns, bears don't like the loud noise, and it will alert others in your area. Then, authorities will know where to retrieve the body. :o  Bears stay away from humans for the most part, make lots of noise, take a good dog.

I go into the back country for piece and quiet

On 8/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, Smoky Pistols said:

Okay fellas, here's one to sink your teeth into:

Headed camping in bear country.  Nothing major, but warnings have been issued and are on display.  Available guns, a Thunder Five (earlier version of a Judge) and a .45 Glock.  Available ammo for the Thunder Five is .410 Pepper round, .410 slug, and .45 Colt.  Available ammo for the Glock is RN or HP.  What would be your preference if you happened upon a bear and pepper spray proved to be ineffective or not enough of a deterrent?  How would you load each firearm? 

You won't have time to use both

More reading...

Handguns and Bears

When I go into bear country, I makes sure the bars are made of heavy steel or iron And set deeply in concrete. Or, that the moat is very deep and the concrete wall at the  preserve is very high.;)

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

More reading...

Handguns and Bears

Handgun or pistol. That drives me crazy!

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

When momma gets mad ...

I have seen that video, Joe. I tried to find it to post it but unfortunately buttheads that have nothing to do with the original video had to muck it up and embellish it or talk over it like ignorant wretches. 

When people talk about fending off a bear this video comes to mind. One better be damn fast if a bear is coming at speed. 50 yards in 3 seconds. How many rounds can you put in a bear’s nose in 3 seconds? Sure changed my mind in carrying a single action revolver as an only option. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have seen that video, Joe. I tried to find it to post it but unfortunately buttheads that have nothing to do with the original video had to muck it up and embellish it or talk over it like ignorant wretches. 

It is the one I had been expecting when I started watching the one you posted.

I agree about people feeling they need to add voiceovers, music, slow motion, or otherwise "enhance" a perfectly good video.  There is one of tank drifting in Sweden or Norway  where the guy added music to it, I think Strauss so it wasn't obnoxious.  He got enough comments, even from yours truly, that the music was a distraction, the only "music" needed was the roar of the engine and the sound of the tracks on ice that he posted it again without the music, and made a point in the description of saying he removed the music per request.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:53 AM, Smoky Pistols said:

Okay fellas, here's one to sink your teeth into: [best bear protection?]

The only question you need to answer is, "Does my girlfriend run faster than me, or do I run faster than her?"

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When people talk about fending off a bear this video comes to mind. One better be damn fast if a bear is coming at speed. 50 yards in 3 seconds. How many rounds can you put in a bear’s nose in 3 seconds? Sure changed my mind in carrying a single action revolver as an only option. 

Most folks can't clear leather and get on target in a high stress situation in less than 3 seconds. Yes, a SASS shooter should be capable with proper SASS equipment. However, the big  bulky 500 S&W, or Freedom Arms 454, or whatever gun one is not used to carrying in a chest holster is going to be nothing more than yard art after the bear has completed their project of deescalating a human encounter. One would need to have the gun out and aimed at the bear in order to even get a couple shots off at a charging bear in 3 seconds. John Linebaugh used to host a big bore symposium every year in Cody, it was very enlightening. The guys that bought his guns went home with much more knowledge of big bears and big handguns than they brought to the event. Just like any carry gun for any purpose, one must practice and be proficient with their tools. 

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It is the one I had been expecting when I started watching the one you posted.

I agree about people feeling they need to add voiceovers, music, slow motion, or otherwise "enhance" a perfectly good video.  There is one of tank drifting in Sweden or Norway  where the guy added music to it, I think Strauss so it wasn't obnoxious.  He got enough comments, even from yours truly, that the music was a distraction, the only "music" needed was the roar of the engine and the sound of the tracks on ice that he posted it again without the music, and made a point in the description of saying he removed the music per request.

Everybody these with a camera days thinks they’re Cecil B. DeMille or Spielberg! :angry:

I have posted this before and cannot remember where I read this first, but it's an excellent drill for seeing just how good you are with your chosen bear gun, be it rifle, handgun or shotgun.

Make up 5 target stands or use cardboard boxes.

Use a target that has a 3" bullseye or make a 3" circle and place that circle / bullseye at about the 3  foot level on a stand or box.

The  3" target represents a bear's nose. The 3' height represents the elevation of the average bear's nose when on all fours.

Place targets at 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10 yards from your firing line / position.

Stagger the targets to simulate a bear's sway while running towards you. The nose will move about.

A full grown bear (black, brown, grizzly, kodiak, polar) can run 50 yards in 3 seconds when "motivated". Pick a motivation - food, cub danger, hangover, politics, whatever...

Now pick your weapon and mode of retention if you were  out and about in the woods. Rifle slung, revolver holstered, whatever your retention method.

Now have someone time you or use a  timer.

At the sound of start or beep put as many rounds as you can in the "noses"  of your target starting with the 50 yard target working your way in within a  3 second window. The nose is a "Kill Shot" - direct path to the brain...supposedly.

This  is a very humbling exercise.

I tried this  with my 30-30 lever guns, my (supposed) favorite bear revolver - my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel, a Glock 45 in 9mm, a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm, and my beloved S&W 327 Night Guard 8 shot .357 Mag.

After one session with each gun I found I had 2 kill hits with my Winchester 94 30-30 and 3 kill hits with my Ruger  PC -Carbine. I had plenty of hits with the others but none in the "kill zone".

Give it a try. If nothing else it is fun.

Shooting for the nose might not be a good idea. I doubt I could hit the vital path to the brain on a moving bear. I would suggest the throat/chest area.  Softer and larger target than the tough, sloped skull, which has been known to deflect rounds.

And May God be with you if all you have is a handgun in Grizzly territory. There, I would not travel without a long gun. Preferably one that shoots noisy fireworks, pepper spray, and high explosive rounds. And maybe a smokescreen. ;)
Black bears are much less aggressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4UgTUMph0

9 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Shooting for the nose might not be a good idea. I doubt I could hit the vital path to the brain on a moving bear. I would suggest the throat/chest area.  Softer and larger target than the tough, sloped skull, which has been known to deflect rounds.

And May God be with you if all you have is a handgun. In Grizzly territory especially I would not travel without a long gun. Preferably one that shoots noisy fireworks, pepper spray, and high explosive rounds. And maybe a smokescreen. ;)

Kinda hard to have a long gun with you when you're standing in a river fish'n.

That's why I carry the FA .454, in a chest holster.

OLG 

I read somewhere that the best way to stop an aggressive, dangerous, charging animal is to take away his or her credit cards... :D 

39 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And May God be with you if all you have is a handgun in Grizzly territory. There, I would not travel without a long gun. Preferably one that shoots noisy fireworks, pepper spray, and high explosive rounds. And maybe a smokescreen. ;)
Black bears are much less aggressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4UgTUMph0

With a bear on all fours it would be very hard to hit the chest or throat.

Bears don't charge on hind legs....unless the counter is too high to reach the charge card machine. :P (referencing @Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 post above) :lol:

Archived