SASS Wire Forum

Forum title: Sass Wire

gsp7

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wire=Line of communication.

Like what the telegraph was.

OLG 

Have you talked to somebody on the "Ameche" lately? (Actor Don Ameche played Alexander Graham Bell in the movie.  Some folks started calling the telephone, "The Ameche" after the movie came out.)

6 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Have you talked to somebody on the "Ameche" lately? (Actor Don Ameche played Alexander Graham Bell in the movie.  Some folks started calling the telephone, "The Ameche" after the movie came out.)

What people???:lol:

13 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

When I was starting out in the work force in the late 70s, I worked for a fellow who looked like J. Edgar Hoover and drove a ‘69 Pontiac (and kept driving it until he died in the 1980s).  Anyway, he always called the phone “the Ameche.”  He thought he had one on me, but my dad had already told me about Don Ameche and the nickname.

13 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

My HAM lic included code when it was still required ;)

OLG 

5 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What my late uncle always called it.

:lol:  Never heard that.

AND WE USED IT HERE BEFORE THE TV SHOW.

theWire.jpg

37 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I had forgotten about that. At the time, I thought it a pretty corny joke that only adults thought funny. 

Have you ever told somebody talking at length long distance on the Ameche, "Keep talkin'...it's your nickel!"?  And I'm old enough to remember (barely) when you could actually put a nickel in a pay phone. (Poor Superman...where would he change clothes today?

Does anyone have a clue what that song is about?

When I first heard it I thought he was a cowboy riding fence.

Several years later I'm listening to it again, and that line about "if it snows that line down south won't ever take the strain" made it sound like either electric  or telephone line.

But he's "searching in the sun for another overload"?

Anybody know what the song is talking about?

Aside from he misses his girlfriend. That part I get.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Does anyone have a clue what that song is about?

When I first heard it I thought he was a cowboy riding fence.

Several years later I'm listening to it again, and that line about "if it snows that line down south won't ever take the strain" made it sound like either electric  or telephone line.

But he's "searching in the sun for another overload"?

Anybody know what the song is talking about?

Aside from he misses his girlfriend. That part I get.

Explained here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Lineman#Background_and_content

LL

Archived