SASS Wire Forum

Sturgis

Utah Bob #35998

On 8/4/2020 at 1:49 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

As a matter of perspective, during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, CDC estimated that there were 60.8 million cases in the U. S. (range: 43.3 - 89.3 million) cases.  Of those, there were 12,469 deaths recorded.

To date (roughly six months into the Covid pandemic) in the U. S. we have roughly 4.9 million cases reported and just shy of 160 thousand deaths.  Or, for roughly 1/12th the number of cases, 5 times the number of deaths as with H1N1.  Granted, the mortality rate has improved from one out of sixteen earlier this year to one out of a hundred now, but that's still a hell of a lot higher than one out of 4,800 with the H1N1.

So much for that "Well! People die of the FLU, too!" chestnut.  -_-

The flu number is an estimate. The CoViD number is largely confirmed by tests. Since most official estimates are an order of magnitude undercounting CoViD cases, it is at this point about the same as the flu. That is for cases.

For deaths? Those are not subject to the same undercounting. I do not dispute the number dead from CoViD is much greater than from the flu. If someone is Hospice with two weeks to live catches this bug, that might be a questionable cause of death. The obese diabetic with COPD would likely have lived many more years, less questionable. Doctors and nurses in NYC?

There are some legitimate questions as to both over- and under-counting deaths. The legitimate questions involve much smaller percentages than what I see touted on the media. In either direction.

I do wish the media would quit polarizing this problem; it is not helpful.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Survival of the fittest, or the smartest, in this case.

Unfortunately the anti vacciners don’t allow their innocent children to be inoculated  either.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:33 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well, alrighty then.  :rolleyes:

couldnt say it better - if your concerned then dont go , we are still americans with free choice and will , do what you believe is right and leave the rest of us alone ..........im sick of being told my rights are not available to me 

23 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

In late February, 175 executives from Biogen, a biotech company, attended a series of meetings in a hotel in Boston.  Within a week, dozens reported flu-like symptoms.  Last week, reports emerged indicating that scientists have traced the origin of over 20,000 cases of Covid 19 to attendees at those meetings.

Excuse me if I decide to wear a mask and stay home until a vaccine is available.

LL

I don't claim to be a medical professional, but based on history I will be surprised if we ever see a real vaccine for this.  Covid has been on earth since before us, and up till now we've never even found a cure for any version of it, much less a vaccine.  That's not to say it's impossible.  I'm rooting for them because if we get a vaccine we should be close to putting an end to all sorts of ailments including the common cold. 

I say 'real vaccine' because they may well roll out some near placebo to make people feel better. 

Archived