SASS Wire Forum

Who reloads SASS ammo commercially?

I don't know if they will reload your brass, but Choice Ammunition makes light recoiling cowboy ammo.

Choice Ammo is top notch ammo. 
www.choiceammunition.com

3 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Georgia Arms and Ammo sells once fired brass cowboy loads.

GA Arms has not had anything to sell for some time.  They closed for 7-10 days last week to catch up on their back orders.  They quit loading some time back due to a lack of components.  I believe it was basically primers.

The thing is with "Cowboy" ammunition is, "What is it?"  I have purchased ammo marked "Cowboy" on the box and have found it to be basically the same ammo as their regular stuff, just with a lead bullet and in a different box.  Most notably the Winchester cowboy ammo falls into this category, but so have some others I've found at random over the years.  In fact, I was asked by one pard at my very first shoot what was a using, because it seemed to be way too hot.   "Winchester Cowboy Loads" I responded.   He just shook his head and said, "Not a good idea."

On the other hand, last year I discovered HSM Cowboy Action Cartridges when I unexpectedly needed some extra ammo at a shoot out in Nevada.  Here's a pic of the box.

HSMAmmo.thumb.jpg.0df419a9cd5adf9a57f17d37dd443f81.jpg

This is actually .44 Magnum, and even though it's factory ammo, it's downloaded like typical CAS loadings.  In fact, it's almost identical to my personal reloads in this caliber.  So much so that I pulled one apart to see what powder is uses.   To my surprise, it was NOT Trailboss, because like I said, the performance seemed identical to my own reloads.   They use Starline brass.

Here's their website...

https://hsmammunition.com/cowboy-action/

Good stuff, and it really wasn't all that expensive as commercial ammo goes.

5 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Gunfire Arms and Ammunition in Port ST Lucie, FL does CAS loads.

PHONE: (561) 312-9075

Purchased from them for several years. First of this year tired to contact them and didn't get a return call or email. Are they back?

52 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

Purchased from them for several years. First of this tired to contact them and didn't get a return call or email. Are they back?

Good question. I reload my own now.

It's been about 4 years since I purchased from them.......... 

it's not that tough to get into reloading your own, and will save you some gold dust in the long run. 

Just sayin...

:ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

it's not that tough to get into reloading your own, and will save you some gold dust in the long run. 

Just sayin...

I have reloaded most of what I have shoot this year. I know primers are in short supply now.

10 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

Check out 'We the People 'Munitions"

http://www.wtpmunitions.com/pages/mainpage.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This. I'm not sure what all he loads now but the 38 ammo is top notch.

20 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Choice Ammo is top notch ammo. 
www.choiceammunition.com

+1 for Choice Ammunition, their Cowboy ammunition is all I shoot, and they are a SASS vendor as well.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:11 PM, Blacksmith Jim #68489 L TG said:

What caliber are you inquiring about, I know of 1 in Arizona and 1 in Texas.

.38 spl

On 8/2/2020 at 3:20 PM, DeaconKC said:

I don't know if they will reload your brass, but Choice Ammunition makes light recoiling cowboy ammo.

OUT OF STOCK

On 8/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, Krazy Kajun said:

Bullets by Scarlett sells loaded cowboy ammo.  Her website is here.

Kajun

OUT OF STOCK

12 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Just sayin...

I used to reload for my .45 LC but can't even find Unique gunpowder anywhere in stock...

8 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

+1 for Choice Ammunition, their Cowboy ammunition is all I shoot, and they are a SASS vendor as well.

OUT OF STOCK

8 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

This. I'm not sure what all he loads now but the 38 ammo is top notch.

I will look them up thank you pardner....

12 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Just sayin...

I agree but I used to use Unique powder for my .45LC and none of that powder can be found...

MC, I understand your desire to use a powder that has worked for you in the past.  I use Unique in my 44 mag reloads for WB and prefer it in that cartridge.  However, there are other powders that will give satisfactory results in large revolver cases and some of these are available.  When reloading components are in short supply we have learned to shoot what is available.  I also use American Select and it is still available.  Hodgdon lists 45 Colt loads for IMR Target and its on sale at Powder Valley.  Try another powder.  You may discover a new favorite.

11 hours ago, Marshal Cogburn SASS # 8454 said:

I agree but I used to use Unique powder for my .45LC and none of that powder can be found...

Powder Valley has 1 pound, 4 pound and 8 pounders in stock...

image.png.af94c1eda09b5b9e0d6fa104780c92b9.png

For years there were commercial reloaders that offered CAS ammo. Some offered 1.5" long loaded Cowboy leveraction 38's.

I directed my rifle customer to "T" ammo for his 1.5" cowboy 38's. But, Roy retired so I was recommending Ammo Direct.

Well, they are out of business now

Here is the  source if you want long loaded 38's for your levergun.

Contact 

CUSTOM AMMO & RELOADING SERVICES,LLC

817-326-3855

Email;  landjb7@charter.net

Larry Benningfield

3110 Marble Court

Granbury, Tx 76049.

they sell this ammo and will also reload your brass.

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Shouldn't you tell them that you're "Sponsored" by this company?

;)

And what difference does that make??

if I buy my Bullets from a Company Or they provide me with bullets, they are still a good company with a great product.

2 hours ago, Slick McClade said:

And what difference does that make??

if I buy my Bullets from a Company Or they provide me with bullets, they are still a good company with a great product.

It makes a difference... Sorry you can't see that.

But you are correct in the fact that full disclosure has nothing to do with the quality, or lack of, in a product.

Phantom

Archived