SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Shooters Who and What needs done to a Marlin

Pee Wee #15785

I have a Marlin 94 in .45 Colt made sometime in the 90's that needs work.  It is still bone stock but I think it is starting to need some help to keep going.  I am NOT interested in a short stroke.  Who would be good to work on it?  Carrier, one-piece firing pin,, trigger, springs, chamfer the chamber mouth, and anything else needed replaced or fixed.  Then a good action job.  I am interested in gunsmith names and contact info.  What would you Marlin shooters have worked on or replaced.  I am 75 so not interested in a short stroke kit anymore, it won't change the sundial timer reading for me.

I’m posting these in alphabetical order. Any one of them will be able to provide the services you suggest.

Cowboy Carty

Slick McClade

Widder

Not to be argumentative but I thought that Slick and Widder had retired from being gun plumbers on Marlins.  At any rate I would add Boomstick Jay to the list.

https://www.boomstickarms.com/

I don't expect it to be cheap to bring my Marlin back up to better than new.  Parts swap I could do but there is more than just swaping parts to get the gun back 100% right.

Howdy Pee Wee.

I agree with ALL the names listed above and will add 'Longhunter'.

If you live close to Billy The Avenger, he is well knowledgable of the 1894 Marlin.

If I understand your situation, here is my thoughts:

1.  Get yeself a spring kit and 1-piece firing pin from somebody like Longhunter or Slick McClade.  There are others whose name

elude me at this time.

OR..... send your rifle to one of those listed above, requesting new springs, firing pin, etc...... AND to check your 'timing' on the lifter ramp.

If it were my rifle, I would either send the carrier to Gunner Gatlin for his carrier ramp mod OR have a good TIG welder build up your

timing ramp about .005+ to help get your timing back closer to original because its my guess that ramp has worn down just a tad

from the previous years.

LOTS of things can be done to a Marlin to enhance it, but the necessary stuff has been listed unless something has broken.

Personally, I'm basically retired from working on Marlins, atleast until I find out from my doctor what they opt to do

with some heart work I need.   If you got any specific questions that I might be able to steer you in the right direction,

feel free to call me at:   865 / 696-1996.

On a side note, there are many folks in SASS that know how to help revive an aging Marlin.   

..........Widder

I bought the gun in the 90's, has gone through 3 kids, son-in-law and me so it has some wear.  The number of rounds is somewhere way pst 10,000 so I would say the Marlin Jam is just around the corner and should be a lot of wear over er all on contact points.  It is not tight anymore and not as smooth.  It is little things and just don't feel right.  It is clean as I take it down to small parts and put back using blue loctate (sp) so screws don't back out.

Widder thank you, will give Longhunter a call this week and see if he will work on it.  Hope all works out with your heart, I have had 2 heart attacks  20 years ago.  You just learn your limitations and don't push.  It is the hardest thing you ever have to learn.

serial number:  0302XXXX.   It shows use but still drops deer from the front porch swing.  It is a 1894 COWBOY LIMITED, *****MODEL 1894CB-CAL.45 COLT*****

If your Marlin has a plastic magazine tube follower I would replace it with a more durable follower.  Long Hunters worked on three Marlins for me.  I was pleased with the work.

Archived