SASS Wire Forum

How far is your Firing Pin Extension pushed in?

Shane Not Sean

This is for those who have modified or replaced their main spring (hammer spring).  I just replaced mine with a light strike spring and it barely pushes the firing pin extension.  Screwing the tension screw in all the way gets the FP extension pushed all the way in (upon hammer strike) but that seems like defeating the purpose of the light strike spring.  I won't get the chance to try it out and see how my primer strikes are for another week or so, so I figured I'd ask - How far does your FP extension get pushed in with your modified main spring or replacement main spring?

If you reload, you can always prime some cases and try that to make sure you they will fire.  It doesn’t matter how far the FP extension is pushed in by the hammer spring.  If it fires, you’re OK.

Be careful with the firing pin spring.  As  you get faster, there is more momentum from the extension that transfers to the firing pin when the bolt stops but the links are still in the process of locking  You can get an Out of Battery discharge because there's enough momentum to fire it without the hammer coming down.  I've done it with lightened firing pin springs.  I have the lever lock installed, so it went before I got the lever all the way closed.  I went back to the original firing pin springs and have not had an OOB since.

Are we shooting Glocks now or what??   Strikers??!!?   :o:lol:

I suppose that OP is talking about a Firing Pin Extension, and in a toggle link lever rifle???.....

My oh my.  GJ

49 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Are we shooting Glocks now or what??   Strikers??!!?  

I suppose that OP is talking about a Firing Pin Extension, and in a toggle link lever rifle???.....

My oh my.  GJ

My same thoughts, the parts in question I guess are the firing pin extension and the firing pin. Makes no sense if one has to tighten the tension screw for the main spring to extend the firing pin. The firing pin should extend out to its full throw, it should extend out to .060-.065 when fully forward.

TB

The firing pin should not protrude from the front of the bolt at all when the when the action is closed and the hammer is all the way forward. It should only move forward when it is struck by the hammer, then it should move back into the bolt.

kR

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Are we shooting Glocks now or what??   Strikers??!!?   :o:lol:

My oh my.  GJ

Thx for the correction/education, Joe - firing pin extension it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a test I did on my 73 to demonstrate that a primer can be fired without the hammer falling.  The rifle had a factory firing pin spring.

Archived