SASS Wire Forum

Carbide chainsaw blade ?

Buckshot Bob

What do you mean?  Is there a carbide chain?  Chainsaws do not have blades, they have a guide bar.

13 minutes ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

What do you mean?  Is there a carbide chain?  Chainsaws do not have blades, they have a guide bar.

Ya they have a bar and chain which people refer to as a “blade”

and yes they make carbide chain now , I’ve heard claims they will stay sharp much longer and last longer than conventional chain , it sounds appealing but want to know peoples experiences 

I wonder how difficult it is to have a carbide blade resharpened, and also, if the average equipment shop is set up to resharpen these carbide chainsaw blade?  Who knows how long they’ve actually been available; maybe the shops have been able to perform such maintenance for some time now?

i also don’t know that, all things considered, if it is (or isn’t) worth it for the average homeowner.  A person would have to research all that, of course.  Heck, it may be that carbide chainsaw blades are very common now.

I can say that I don’t resharpen my chainsaw blade(s).

Cat Brules

They have been around for quite a while.  I have never used one, but friends who have tell me that they will stay sharp until the chain stretches so much that it becomes unusable.  I don't understand why a link could not be removed to shorten it for more use, but that is what I was told.

Duffield

They used to be about $200 a chain and the only ones I ever heard used them were fire departments. I just saw a sthil ad which got me looking and they can be had for about $50 now . So far I’ve only seen a couple of different brands selling them but one is sthil 

We worked with carbide for years in aerospace. The only thing I would hesitate about is carbide is brittle. If you hit anything metal, ir probably would shatter.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

We worked with carbide for years in aerospace. The only thing I would hesitate about is carbide is brittle. If you hit anything metal, ir probably would shatter.

Actually cutting through metal and getting into dirt and not dulling are things they use as a selling point. 
I know firemen use them to go through house walls and roofs , I was always told it was because it would cut , nails , wire and asphalt roofing. But I know what you mean about it being brittle, carbide will cut just about any hardened steel but is always more prone to fracture than a HSS cutter 

This is verry interesting!

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This is verry interesting!

That’s the sales pitch that got me thinking about it , I’ve looked on YouTube and some say they suck and others say it’s the best thing since sliced bread . I’m to the point where for $50 I wanna try one 

Went shopping online the cheapest I can find a carbide chain for my saw is $67 . And a wheel for carbide for my chainsaw sharpener starts at $130 . I can buy the same Oregon chain I’ve been using for the last 12 years for $15 . As much as I’d like to give one a try I just ordered 6 Oregon chains since what I have now is pretty whipped out . 
As near as I can tell from everything I read you could reasonably expect about 4 times the lifespan out of the carbide chain , I just can’t find enough good things about it to justify the cost by the time I buy the grinding wheel 

of a premium over a Stihl standard chain.  I have tried Oregon chains and Stihl  chains to use on a Farmboss (same model as fire departments use).  The Stihl chains cut faster.

5 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

of a premium over a Stihl standard chain.  I have tried Oregon chains and Stihl  chains to use on a Farmboss (same model as fire departments use).  The Stihl chains cut faster.

It depends on the type of chain you get , how it’s ground , not so much the manufacturer. The couple of fire departments saws I have seen were pro series saws , not the home owner models . 

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Do they throw teeth?  That is do teeth break off?

From what I’ve read you can still destroy them like the conventional ones . It sounds really appealing and my understanding is if you buy any of the new Sthil pro series saws now they come with one on it , probably to hopefully get you hooked . In my mind at this time I just couldn’t justify the added cost . If I ended up liking it I would want a couple back up’s and I would need a pretty expensive wheel for my grinder to sharpen them . Having to change your chain 4 times less often does sound appealing.

i looked around the internet and only saw 3 manufacturers selling carbide chain . Baileys sells them all in rolls if you want make your own . 

10 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It depends on the type of chain you get , how it’s ground , not so much the manufacturer. The couple of fire departments saws I have seen were pro series saws , not the home owner models . 

The Farm Boss isn't a home owner model.  It is the highest power output Farm & Ranch model.   Eight years ago my son a captain in a fire department in the SF Bay area stated that his department uses Stihl Farm Boss saws.

P.S. my saw is now his saw since I moved 3 1/2 hours farther away from the property where it was primarily used.  It is now his responsibility to maintain the property.

Been about 45 years ago but knew a couple guy that cut timber for extra cash. When they bought a saw they always purchased one rated for a bar 2" bigger than what they normally used. Had the shop install the 2" shorter bar as part of the deal. The larger motor made a big difference out in the woods.

They had one saw just for cutting the occasional dead or hollow tree so that they didn't damage their good chains cutting junk wood.

5 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The Farm Boss isn't a home owner model.  It is the highest power output Farm & Ranch model.   Eight years ago my son a captain in a fire department in the SF Bay area stated that his department uses Stihl Farm Boss saws.

P.S. my saw is now his saw since I moved 3 1/2 hours farther away from the property where it was primarily used.  It is now his responsibility to maintain the property.

They aren’t considered a professional series saw . Same as the rancher for husky . Your not going to find many professional loggers using either one of them . I’m not saying their a bad saw there just not as good as he professional series of their respective manufacturers. Everyone has to select what suits them 

Archived