SASS Wire Forum

Geezerness

Utah Bob #35998

Anybody using Voltaren for arthritis pain?

This is not a philosophical question. Stupid correctomatic thing changed Voltara to Voltaire.
My philosophy on pain is more Cartesian......I hurt, therefore I am. But I’d rather not
Where was I? Oh yeah. Arthritis.

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you take BP or heart meds. Stay away from it.

I use the above meds,  and only take Tylenol.

OLG 

Yeah I’ve read all the warnings. I’m just curious about it’s efficacy.

Drugs for heart issues can adversely interact with various pain medications.  Consultations with both your MD’s is likely in order.....or have them talk with each other and advise you.   That is, IF you are also taking heart meds.

Cat Brules

Okay. I have researched it thoroughly. Warnings. Side effects. Allergies. Pre existing conditions, etc. I am not on any prescription medications. None. I do not take NSAIDs.

I just want to know, from someone who has used it, if it works.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That medication UB speaks of is prescription only. 

OLG 

No. It is now available over the counter.

https://www.healio.com/news/rheumatology/20200217/fda-approves-voltaren-arthritis-pain-for-nonprescription-otc-use

Voltaren and Celebrex are strong NSAIDS. I can take ibuprofen but not those two. I get every nasty side effect on the list the pharmacist gives you with the medicine. 

Ibuprofen works for me so I stick with that. 

It's diclofenac, and I have used quite a bit of it at times, as has my wife.

It is very effective for pain. I found it so, and I know several people who had serious pain relief from it.

It's worth a try. However, in my own case I have a big caveat. About 3 years ago, after I'd used it for quite awhile for serious back pain, I began to have significant shortness of breath on exertion, as in uphill hiking and lap swimming.

I had no idea why. At one point, the shortness of breath during swimming was enough to make me think of going to the ER, as if I was having  a 'silent' heart attack, that only expressed itself as severe shortage of breath. I didn't, though.

I had previously looked at the side effects of diclofenac to see if this was  a recognized one. Didn't see it. Then I did again, and way down a subsidiary list I saw 'shortness of breath on exertion'. I quit using it, and the problem went away within a couple of days, never to recur.

I think that this is a rare side effect, and I don't think it was necessarily a dangerous one. But there it was. So I'd just be aware of it.

I use the topical form for pain relief when I'm having a severe Sjogrens episode.  I have also learned never to use more than the dosing directions because of the side effects.  I don't use it on a daily basis, only when the pain gets really bad.  It has given me the relief I needed when I used it.

I use Alleve, not everyday though only when I really hurt or on cowboy shoot days! Works for me.

To be specific it’s only for my hand, not a large area like a knee, shoulder or hip.

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you take BP or heart meds. Stay away from it.

I use the above meds,  and only take Tylenol.

OLG 

Heart and BP patients take NSAIDS all the time. The only think that might be a problem is Coumadin (warfarin) and I don't think it would be a problem with that topically. Most of the "blood thinners" are not recommended with NSAIDS. Aspirin is the worst by far, but most of them can affect blood clotting now and then.

JHC

I have stents and am on BP meds plus Plavix which helps against clotting.  Also, take the regular 81mg dose of aspirin.   One cardiologist  I went to had no problem with taking ibuprofen for arthritic pain on a regular basis.  However, I've moved my medical to the Dallas area and the cardio people at Baylor, Scott& White told me to only use NSAIDS like ibuprofen in times of acute pain and then modestly because of stroke danger.   This, especially in the presence of heart meds and some antibiotics that can have deleterious effects in the presence of the NSAID.  Therefore, tylenol is all I take now.

Sounds to me that Volarten is worth a try in moderation.   It sure doesn't hurt to include your pharmacist in on the medical advice.

BTW, are you taking anything for allergies as they sometimes can aggravate arthritic conditions?   Some may laugh but since taking Zyrtec, Air Borne, and a regular regime of kefir milk in lieu of over counter probiotics my overall condition has improved greatly.  

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

To be specific it’s only for my hand, not a large area like a knee, shoulder or hip.

I use it on my hands as well as knees, hips and on rare occasions lower back.  As I said before, it works well on the occasions I use it.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I have stents and am on BP meds plus Plavix which helps against clotting.  Also, take the regular 81mg dose of aspirin.   One cardiologist  I went to had no problem with taking ibuprofen for arthritic pain on a regular basis.  However, I've moved my medical to the Dallas area and the cardio people at Baylor, Scott& White told me to only use NSAIDS like ibuprofen in times of acute pain and then modestly because of stroke danger.   This, especially in the presence of heart meds and some antibiotics that can have deleterious effects in the presence of the NSAID.  Therefore, tylenol is all I take now.

Sounds to me that Volarten is worth a try in moderation.   It sure doesn't hurt to include your pharmacist in on the medical advice.

BTW, are you taking anything for allergies as they sometimes can aggravate arthritic conditions?   Some may laugh but since taking Zyrtec, Air Borne, and a regular regime of kefir milk in lieu of over counter probiotics my overall condition has improved greatly.  

I am fortunate. I have no allergies. I am on no prescription drugs or over the counter drugs. 

9 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Heart and BP patients take NSAIDS all the time. The only think that might be a problem is Coumadin (warfarin) and I don't think it would be a problem with that topically. Most of the "blood thinners" are not recommended with NSAIDS. Aspirin is the worst by far, but most of them can affect blood clotting now and then.

JHC

A 'baby aspirin' is suggested with the meds I'm on.

OLG 

9 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Must be all that CLEAN LIVIN! :P

More likely genetics or blind luck. :D

Archived