SASS Wire Forum

What you reckon would happen?

Alpo

Back in the old west. A hired gun.

During the cattle war, or land war, or whatever type of altercation that the hired gun was hired for, the boss gets killed.

With the boss dead, obviously there is no one to pay the hired gun.

Do you suppose he would continue the fight? Or pack up and leave?

I am watching El Dorado. The scene where they swap the paralyzed Cole for Jason.

And it occurred to me that if while Jason was standing in the doorway, Mississippi had blown him out into the street with his shotgun, why would McLeod want to stick around? He fights for money. There would be no one to pay him. War over.

What y'all think?

Like a lot of "stories" they are for entertainment.

In real life of the time?

Most people of the time, grew up with and had at least a shotgun handy; were Civil War vets etc.

I don't think they had much patience for anyone trying any nonsense with them with out taking a practical solution.

Because sometimes logic and cold-blooded murder don’t coincide.  Mississippi was the good guy.

I think a hired gun would leave if he knew he wasn't getting paid. I don't think hired gunfighters cared much for either side it was all about the money!!

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Because sometimes logic and cold-blooded murder don’t coincide.  Mississippi was the good guy.

But would it be murder?

Jason was a prisoner, charged with murder. As he was being arrested, he made an offer a payment to help him escape. This was the escape attempt.

If you try to go over the wall in a prison, and a guard shoots you, is that murder?

Looks to me to be the same thing

I've seen the movie. Mississippi would've most likely hit a sign over his head and just knocked him cold.

Unlike the romanticized picture of the old west portrayed in the cinema,  most all of the “hired guns” of the day were assassins, back shooters and dark alley cutthroats who strictly killed for money.

If their meal ticket was removed, they simply moved on to the next opportunity.  Honor was seldom if ever a factor and risking capture and conviction for no pay wasn’t logical or, more importantly, profitable!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

But would it be murder?

Jason was a prisoner, charged with murder. As he was being arrested, he made an offer a payment to help him escape. This was the escape attempt.

If you try to go over the wall in a prison, and a guard shoots you, is that murder?

Looks to me to be the same thing

Obviously, I’m keen on firearms, but I don’t like the idea of shooting the unarmed running away.  Running toward me, yes.

14 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Like a lot of "stories" they are for entertainment.

In real life of the time?

Most people of the time, grew up with and had at least a shotgun handy; were Civil War vets etc.

I don't think they had much patience for anyone trying any nonsense with them with out taking a practical solution.

Ask the James boys or the Dalton gang how 'treeing' a town worked out in real life.:rolleyes:

Gunslinger...Homicidal maniac...Kills for the pleasure whether or not paid. Being paid is just a bonus and a way to make money.

Archived