SASS Wire Forum

USMC Training Accident, San Diego

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/1-marine-dead-2-injured-8-missing-after-vehicle-accident-off-san-diego-coast/509-5498df17-e145-4ba0-963f-ffcbf736ce81?fbclid=IwAR0akTe4yAvL-4ULS64kM_VzmKY5rH9ORJL7NE2HSWRHifHWfqhs2kUPzaA#:~:text=— At least one Camp Pendleton,the accident happened Thursday night.&text=The name of the deceased,of kin have been notified

God bless them.  A pretty safe bet that those who are missing are dead.   

CAMP PENDLETON SOUTH, Calif. — At least one Camp Pendleton based Marine is dead after an accident off the San Diego coast.

Fifteen Marines and one sailor were inside an amphibious assault vehicle when the accident happened Thursday night. In addition to one Marine dying, two were injured and seven marines and one sailor are still missing.

Amphibious assault vehicles, which weigh 26 tons, move on tank-like tracks and can operate on land and swim in water, are used to transport Marines from ship to shore. They've been in use by the Marines since the early 1970s and are currently set to be replaced by the amphibious combat vehicle, now in development.

Two Marines were transported to Scripps Memorial Hospital, where both were described as "stable" by Marine officials during Friday's press conference.

The name of the deceased will be withheld until 24 hours after next of kin have been notified.

The incident occurred during a 15th MEU and Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group routine training exercise near San Clemente Island.

I saw a meme that went something like "If this had been a sports team the press would be calling it a national tragedy."

We’re they 8 miles off shore? 

19 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They were 1000 meters off of San Clemente Island on their way back to their ship after an exercise.   

Okay that makes sense one report I heard initially said they were 8 miles out. I though that was way too far.

Archived