SASS Wire Forum

Clothiers (er whatever)

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Weird but whatever!!!

I was just wondering if there are still many merchants out there who deal in the non-everyday cowboy clothing line!  At one time we had several merchants offering some really attractive Vaquero costume products.  I remember one was offering several really beautiful pieces done in leather but I am no longer able to find any of these?  Thinking thousand dollar plus outfits here!!!  What little I see tends to be over decorated 'look-at-me' party animal style costumes.  The ones that always come to mind were those made by Horse Fly, I think in the '90s and they were usually somewhat plain but attractive.  Best I can remember there was some dispute with the powers that be concerning logos(?) and he left the scene shortly thereafter???  Would like to see some links to vendors with pictures if they are out there.    

Buckaroo Bobbins might be a good bet, but you would have to give them a call.  Geneva makes leather riding skirts to order and I believe I’ve seen jackets and such too, but I don’t see anything but the skirts and accompanying vests on the website.  I expect she can make it if you let her know what you want.

River Crossing is still listing outfits like you are looking for too, but also made to order.

Thanks Allie, you have actually found the leather clothing that I had referenced to seeing years ago BUT they were under a different store banner back then.  These are absolutely the 'top drawer' of SASS costuming.  Im afraid I could never get the Missus to go along with a $2,000+ costume, specially due to my reputation with mustard when we break from shooting at lunch time!!  HMMM I do wonder iffen I might get some f my deer hunting friends to start saving the hides for me???   

My experience with saving hides from hunting is not good.  I had one cow elk skinned by a taxidermist and it made a lovely shirt for my wife.  However, a friend gave me a hide he and his buddies had skinned and it had so many nicks it was unsuitable for quality leather work.  Recently I found I could not get a hide tanned because the animal hair must be submitted to the state crime lab before disposal and tanners will not bother.  Times have changed for the worse.

When we gasp at prices now days, do not blame the craftsmen and women, their part of the cost is virtually slave labor!  Im about blind now days, but thinking I can still stitch a row, uh, after a bit of blood that is.  No longer kill critters as I stay busy trying to help the wife save them.  Its not about hunting, either way,  but trying to help the little ones and injured ones who get dealt a cruel hand.   

The only animals I kill anymore are those trying their luck trying to ge my horses, and most times the horses beat me to it or injure the predator so badly, they often will need to be put down, or die.

i trap and drown ground squirrels, but they’ve been trapped down so much that I don’t see that many anymore.

I just can’t do the killing part.  I used to get a license, then get up on a deer and shoot to miss.  I don’t do that anymore, though.  

I came to that conclusion when I encountered a very, very large black bear (it was dark brown).  I was camping in a remote part of the Gila Wilderness area of New Mexico.  I was in a little backpacker tent and the bear woke me up about .2:00 AM.  I got Out of my bedroll, picked up my Ruger .357 revolver and pulled in the entrance flaps.  I was face to face, less than 18 inches from the big bear.  It had a curious quizzical look on his face and was just “snuffling” there. I had the revolver cocked and held it pointed right between his  eyes, but I just couldn’t shoot.  I kept telling him to leave, in a low, calm voice.  He just stood there looking in at me for about five minutes, and then turned away and walked off.  He came back a couple of times during the day in the following days, but just looked at me and proweled around a little bit and left again. He wasn’t looking for trouble, and neither was I.  There is more to this little story but I won’t bore you with it.

Cat Brules

Great story and you did not bore me one bit.  I support anyone's right to hunt and will to the tooth and nail but I just hope they are getting more from it than I was when I stopped and that wasnt to long ago, considering my age.  Kinda like a hamburger, I really love them and eat them BUT I do not kill cows nor do I fault the farmer/ cattleman!  I used to buy deer hides from Tandy for small pouches and bags but thinking it might cost as much to make big boy clothing as to buy ready made???

PS: Keep buying those hunnting/fishing licenses boys, that is what really supports the care of our natural habitat, not dumb kids harassing commercial fisherman.

Archived