SASS Wire Forum

Leather for the MONSTER guns??

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Many years back I purchased a pair of big irons,  a Uberti Walker and Third Model Dragoon, but they never advanced beyond being safe queens and were eventually sold.  I never made leather for these two big guys but did a small amount of consideration and think I finally settled on the idea of double cross draw.  I am now thinking of buying a huge modern revolver, the S&W 460mag, and it will have an even longer barl than did the old Walker Colts!  The big difference between leather for the modern gun is that tradition does not have to play any part.  

As poor a choice as a cross draw, on a standard belt, would have been for the Walker/Dragoon, there is little doubt that it would be just as poor a choice for carrying the big S&W.  Any of you Frontiersmen shooters ever come up with something practical and still reasonably quick to hand for such MONSTER guns of which I speak?  I do have a thought or two but would like to here from someone more experienced before embarrassing myself.

PS:NO horses or saddles please, think leather and field carry.

Bob  I have a Gunbucket that I use on my Josey Wales rig to carry a 10 1/2" SBH to the line I dont have a good picture but will be willing to make and post some if you are interestedI. It was made in the early OO's by San Pedro and at the time was specificaly prohibited by SASS. I have looked in the newest SHB and no longer find that prohibition. It is not terribly practical, but neither is the Dragoon. I have looked at their website and it is not listed, also I am unsure of the companies operations at this time,I seem to remember they were going out of business. The Gunbucket is a very simple desigh and would be easy for a competent leathermaker to duplicate. It will carry almost any type of pistol or even short barrel long guns, is universal for side to side and cant, an amazingly simple concept.

PM me if you want I will send my phone number and we can talk.

Imis

If you're only carrying one gun, what's wrong with going crossdraw??  You're trying to carry the gun as comfortably and efficiently as you can!!  

The crossdraw allows you to pull the gun with less effort and clear leather quicker and with less motion in your draw.

You're not trying to fast draw nor are you using this rig in competition, so comfort and ease of acquisition are the priorities.  

A properly designed and executed crossdraw rig might be the best option.  If you're on foot, it's easy to carry and you don't have to reach back to get hold on the grip.  It isn't hanging out to the side, so it isn't as likely to get snagged on brush or thick undergrowth.

Properly positioned, it doesn't restrict climbing fences or rough terrain and again, you can draw it in even the tightest places.

Just my two centavos, offered by someone who uses crossdraw rigs a lot!!

Are you going for the one with the 14 inch barrel?  That piece weighs over 5 pounds and is almost 2 ft long.  If so, you will need a cross draw fairly high on the chest to allow for the longer barrel.  A cross draw holster hanging from the hip would be impractical due to the length of the barrel. 

Good luck.  That's a monster.

A chest holster is used quite a bit by hunters in Montana and Alaska.  http://www.7xleather.com/chest_holster/

I just posted this image of a Colt Walker holster that I just completed for a non-CAS friend.  The trick was a belt loop mounted lower to keep the grip in a handy location.

With big guns, a bandolier (rides the chest) make sense for some.

For my Dragoon I use the same Slim Jim holster I use for my 7.5 and 8 inch Open Tops.  It’s not a perfect fit but works well enough to get through a match. 

Seamus

Here is a holster I made for a friend to use for hunting. It is a right strong side for a Ruger 44 Mag.

Lucky

Holster[1].jpg

I have made crossdraw holsters for a Freedom Arms .454 Casull with a 7-1/2" full octagon barrel and a scope sight for a friend of mine who took it to Africa!  He is a big man.  I also made a crossdraw rig for a Walker Colt replica for a gent who weighed about 110 lb with the gun!  He was happy with it, but I don't know how he kept his pants up! :lol: Beyond a certain point, it might pay to look at either a pack mule or a caisson (maybe a skateboard??)

I run a pair of Whitneyville Dragoons out of a Kirkpatrick rig.  Standard cross and strong right set up.  The strong right gun is a little slow on the draw, but the crossdraw feels almost like a normal gun aside from the fact that it weighs close to 5lbs.

Dragoons.jpeg

Thanks for all of the responses and I see two that are probably about as close as I will get.  The Seven X and the Diamond D look very similar to each other and are very close to the carry I had in mind, just put together much more modern and that is a plus plus!  No doubt the .460 would rely on speed as a big part of its killing power but I just do not want to go much, if any,  over ten inch in barl length.  The two big Smiths that I had the pleasure of shooting were just a fraction under 10 inches and shot great even though they were limited to an indoor range.  I might have a bit of trouble finding the proper heavy duty swivel rivets these fokes are using for the, extra heavy duty strap to holster connection, the rest looks very doable.  It even appears that the cost of buying just might be as cheeep or even more so than building!!!  

Mine has an 8 3/8” barrel which makes it a handy size for hunting.  I also hand load with 240 grain bullets which gives you much less muzzle flash than factory ammo.    I carry mine in a shoulder holster built to carry a scoped pistol which works just fine.  When hunting I carry a collapsible rest but at close range this beast is pretty easy to shoot offhand.

DP, I have not been in to look them over again since the start-up of COVID 19.  I hope my closest store still has the two in stock that I enjoyed firing.  Though they only allow shooting their store ammo (commercial loads??) in the rental guns.  I love shooting both of the big X Frame calibers but would just be buying one for fun shooting as I have no practical use for them.  Now that big ole Walker Colt, that was one of my big time life mistakes!  I really wish I had kept that one and shot the  bejesus out of it!!!  There was an old movie that used to show on the western channel occasionally and it was about a Colt salesman who had a matched pair of the Walkers stolen from him and had to go after them.  BIG BAD BOOMERS. 

Open her up one more time here!  Should I break down here and buy the big .460 it appears that I just might buy a commercial holster, the Galco chest rig.  I have a couple of older Galcos that worked out for me pretty well, back when I was able to shoot regularly.  The Buckets were a disaster for me, though great mounted on the cart, they dumped the guns far to easily when worn on the belt.  Lord I really would like to play one more time with a pair of the Walkers though.  Thinking about ordering a piece of leather right now to make a pair of them big Walker holsters.  If I do not get the guns I could always sell the holsters!!   

As I remember, Cabellas used to be the go to place for cap and ball guns but it has been a few years now??  Uberti would be my brand of choice unless something different is going on now days??  All the other questions will follow once I do jump in.

Archived