SASS Wire Forum

A Wild Kingdom Classic

One of our favorite TV programs back during college days was Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.  Most of us in my fraternity were outdoorsmen, and often Sunday evenings would find a bunch of us huddled in front of the old black-and-white television mesmerized by the exploits of Marlin Perkins, Jim Fowler, and Stan Brock. 

Our favorite episode was from February 14, 1971. Despite it being Valentine's Day, a few of us were home to watch as Marlin and Stan set out to lasso a young grizzly.

If you have the time and interest, you can "re-wind" to the beginning ~ otherwise, I have it cued up to the most exciting part - the last four and a half minutes or so.

Enjoy!  ^_^

They shoulda used cow ponies.

From all my readings of westerns, the cow pony's prime job is to keep the rope tight. If you've got two ropes on something, and they are both tight, whatever you have roped ain't going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

At least they were "evenly" matched during the chase to the tree - they were both "bare/bear" footed!:lol:

Yeah... Ol' Stan was one rugged dude~!   :o

I've oft wondered if there was someone standing by with a rifle.  Couldn't have cut it much closer, fer sure.   :huh:

There's no way he out ran that bear, even for such a short distance.

And how did the bear manage to free itself from BOTH ropes at the same time?

And WHY didn't that bear go after the camera man standing there.    Just another good way

of fabricating a story to give us some good TV show.   I also enjoyed Mutual's Wild Kingdom series.

..........Widder

Archived