SASS Wire Forum

Bomber's Death Penalty Overturned

The death penalty imposed upon Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston Marathon bomber, has been nullified by the First Circuit Court of Appeals, who found in part that the trial judge failed to adequately determine the extent of any existing juror prejudice due to extensive pre-trial publicity, and also due to the court's failure to allow the defendant's lawyers to introduce evidence of the defendant's brother's controlling influence.

As you may recall, these two geniuses filled pressure cookers with explosives and ball bearings, and set them off on the sidewalk near the Marathon finish line.  They killed three spectators (including a child) and caused 17 other victims to lose their legs.   They also ambushed and killed a police officer in Cambridge after the bombings.  

Now the US Attorney has to decide whether to retry this character in an effort to reimpose the death penalty (his conviction stands; only the punishment was challenged, not the guilty verdict.  I say, "Take a shot"; there is nothing to lose.

As a side note:  Dzhokhar fled on foot through the suburbs west of Boston after his brother died in a gun battle with police (actually, he died when his brother ran him over trying to flee from the gunfight).  This set off a huge manhunt, with every cop in the state along with the State Police and the FBI and BATFE pouring through the neighborhoods doing house-to-house searches.  Two curious facts arose:  this area is heavily Democrat, with voters who consistently support increasing levels of gun control; despite this political dominance, news reporters who were broadcasting non-stop from the streets interviewed dozens of residents whose homes were searched.  Not one of these people demanded to see a search warrant; rather, they welcomed police into their homes without argument.  And many informed the reporters that they "wished they had a gun".  Nothing like a terrorist in your backyard to make you think about the 2nd Amendment.  

LL

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The last time it was brought up there is something about “searching for this bad dude” that trumps the need for a warrant, IIRC.

Well, exigent circumstances Would apply if, for instance, they saw the suspect run into a home. No warrant would be required.
But a blanket neighborhood or citywide search is a different thing. A warrant or consent is necessary.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It happened to Whitey Bulger, but there were monsters who wanted him dead.

Dahmer got done in by a fellow inmate serving 3 life sentences that decided that he needed killin'.  I believe a broomstick or mop handle was involved in his timely demise.

Personally,  I would have reduced his sentence for that public service and commuted one of the life sentences.:rolleyes:

When are they going to file charges against his wife for being complicit, and or being an auxiliary to this crime?

I've seen too much. Just have to let this one pass.

10 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Interesting insofar as the US typically isn’t of interest to radicalized Uzbekis as much as Russia is. 

Sometimes human beings just settle for a more convenient target for their hate.

Most of what I've read suggests that the whole family was disappointed with their lives in the US; it turned out that they had to work for a living.  Disillusioned, they looked for explanations that did not point to themselves.  The older brother found solace in radical Islam; he apparently spread that belief to other members of the family.

Through my wife, I've met several immigrants from former USSR satellite states; many of them expected easy, state-funded lives after the fall of the Iron Curtain and their departure for the US; they were shocked to find out that real labor and productivity was required to be comfortable.  Like many immigrants throughout our history, they believed that "streets paved with gold" propaganda.

LL

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope some fateful event befalls that piece of $&@# and the taxpayers and the world won’t have to put up with him. 

23 hours a day in solitary; one hour in supervised "exercise".  Possible, but not likely.  If they don't retry him and reimpose the death penalty, he'll spend the rest of his life locked up.  Still too good for him, but not nice.

LL

On 8/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Life in a federal pen would likely be much shorter than waiting for the death penalty to be carried out.

Life imprisonment without parole is usually cheaper too. I'm NOT against the death penalty but with all the appeals etc. The death sentence can be quite costly. 

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Life imprisonment without parole is usually cheaper too. I'm NOT against the death penalty but with all the appeals etc. The death sentence can be quite costly. 

My thought is that the Ordinary Decent Criminals would carry out the death penalty within a year or two.

Archived