SASS Wire Forum

Unique vs Trailboss

20 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you put a C45 Spl carrier in it, it will.  This carrier (like the Smith Shop makes) has a swing gate that stops the short cartridge before a second cartridge gets out on the carrier to cause a jam.   But, once you put this in, then the gun only shoots C45 Spl.

Me?  I just load C45 Spl for revolvers and standard .45 Colt loads for the rifle, since I never even notice the recoil of a .45 Colt 150 PF load in my 73s.

Good luck, GJ

So GJ if I decide to change back to the original carrier the change to C45S is not permanent?My wife has tried C45S in my NM Vaquero’s and had no ill after effects and likes the weight of my straight stock ‘73 in 45 Colt but even with a moderate load meant to reduce blow back she struggles. Would be interested in experimenting just still need the rifle for WB. 
regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I've been using TrailBoss oh.....14 or more years? Dunno, zactly LOL but it was about then. I use it for four reasons; its not position sensitive (because it fills most cases, LOL) its not temp sensitive, it meters well and its very consistent. Takes about .3 grains to get a noticable change in velocity when working up loads. It is not particularly clean, about like Unique which I also use, and the "cost factor" is small to me. I use 200RNFP in the 45S&W cases with 4.5gr and I have a load for 45LC but I don't use it because its too sooty LOL. I prefer 6.5gr Bullseye with a 250RNFP. Pecos Clyde mentioned that load to me one year when they were checking every single shooter's ammo. A little stiff even for WB LOL. I use that because it is accurate and I like boomy things...

I also use it in 45ACP. 4.5gr behind a 200RNFP was a little too poofy so I upped it to 5.5 eventually. 

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

So GJ if I decide to change back to the original carrier the change to C45S is not permanent?

The instructions for the Smith Shop carrier has you file down a flat spot on the bolt.
This always makes me nervous, if I don't already have a factory spare part in stock.

So, where IS the spot to file, and how much to file?  There are functional areas on a 73 bolt, and non-functional areas.   If it thins the bolt a tad, I would not worry.   My experience is the bolt is strong as built, it's the toggle links that are the weak link in that action (from seeing damaged ones).

I have never seen an installed Smith Shop carrier.   If it costs a new bolt to go back, that would not be any more cost than putting the modified carrier in, I would guess.  There are several suppliers of 73 bolt.

Like I have said before, I have not changed my rifles over to C45 Spl.  I like having a rifle that can hit like a full power factory .45 Colt cartridge can, especially for 100 yard shots for pistol caliber rifle competitions.  My main match rifle is regularly called upon to shoot 165 power factor loads for WB matches.   And the recoil of a cowboy load .45 Colt in an 8 pound rifle is nothing that bothers me.    The action won't run any faster when feeding the Special than the Colt cartridge.   Sight recovery time might be slightly slower for .45 Colt heavy loads.

I guess - MEH is my answer.

Good luck, GJ 

I tried trail boss and go a lot of squibish loads.  Not true squibs, but off sounding.  Was loading below published load data. Just shot a match loaded with red dot.  Worked much better.  No off sounding loads.   Going to try unique next as it fills the case better than red dot.  

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

So, where IS the spot to file, and how much to file?  There are functional areas on a 73 bolt, and non-functional areas.   If it thins the bolt a tad, I would not worry.   My experience is the bolt is strong as built, it's the toggle links that are the weak link in that action (from seeing damaged ones).

I have never seen an installed Smith Shop carrier.   If it costs a new bolt to go back, that would not be any more cost than putting the modified carrier in, I would guess.  There are several suppliers of 73 bolt.

Like I have said before, I have not changed my rifles over to C45 Spl.  I like having a rifle that can hit like a full power factory .45 Colt cartridge can, especially for 100 yard shots for pistol caliber rifle competitions.  My main match rifle is regularly called upon to shoot 165 power factor loads for WB matches.   And the recoil of a cowboy load .45 Colt in an 8 pound rifle is nothing that bothers me.    The action won't run any faster when feeding the Special than the Colt cartridge.   Sight recovery time might be slightly slower for .45 Colt heavy loads.

I guess - MEH is my answer.

Good luck, GJ 

Thanks GJ and Bgavin

I personally use a 200 grain FP over 5.7 grains titegroup with a Federal LP. Problem is SWMBO is thinking of joining me and I now have a nice shooting C45S load for her in the pistols and would like to use a relatively low power rifle load to get her hooked into the swing of things. But I also need the rifle for those occasions I shoot WB so being able to go back and forth is much more cost effective right now. I also have a 45 marlin that she likes because of the light weight, but even running 250 grain loads it blows back so much that I am worried about her eyes and face. In that one I have tried 250, my 200's and 160's in a 45 colt case. No real difference between them as far as blowback.

Open to ideas

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I also have a 45 marlin that she likes because of the light weight, but even running 250 grain loads it blows back so much that I am worried about her eyes and face.

If your Marlin is like a couple of others I have seen and done chamber casts on, the chamber is humongous.   About 0.483" 

Could you afford to have the barrel pulled, chamber sleeved, and a new chamber cut at about 0.475" diameter?    Probably will shoot more accurately as well as cutting blowback a lot.  Possibly $300.  Maybe.

Otherwise, use .44-40 brass blown out to fit the big chamber.   That is one of the fastest and most effective solutions..... should seal even with a 160 grain slug.  And no gun work required.  ;)

Good luck, GJ

7 minutes ago, bgavin said:

you get the idea.

OK, that's just a minor bevel on the bolt face to make sure the swing gate works smoothly when bolt comes forward.   It's not anything I would worry about having butchered a bolt so it would be dangerous with full SAAMI spec .45 Colt.    But, I'm just a 'tired engineer and a shooter. 

Good luck, GJ

Archived